India. Pakistan. Chennai. 1999

SK_IH

12 hours ago, MechEng said:

Sehwag can also be considered selfish because he cared least about being patient on the crease when the ball is moving a lot. Lara can also be considered selfish because he relied more on his mood than match situation to score runs. The thing is cricketers are flawed people like the rest of us and we should not expect prophet like morals from them.

Also the greatest inning of 153 which Lara played was on the back of 3-4 drop catches just like Smith inning in Pune and also lot of plumb not given if anyone want I can share the video most ugliest inning of Lara I can say. People should realize some times it require luck more than your batting skill to make an inning great. 

10 hours ago, Gollum said:

People miss the essence of what I am trying to say, don't know deliberately or whether the devotion to Sachin makes them hypersensitive to criticism? 

I will explain this with another example in a different format, same year. 1999 WC semi final, RSA vs Oz. Klusener brought them from the brink, Donald bowled a great spell earlier in the day (4/32)...the 2 of them had a big role in getting their side to a winning position and BOOM the famous tie? Now question is did (esp Zulu) they choke or not? Should their earlier contribution in the match compensate for their stupidity/mental collapse in the final over? Can a parallel be made with the Chennai test? They were last men standing with 4 balls left to get a solitary run, Sachin was essentially the last batsman left and he knew the remaining batsmen were duds who would be eaten alive by a super strong Pakistani bowling force. If tomorrow Kohli gets in a similar situation against say RSA with Bumrah, Chahal, Khaleel left to bat what would be your expectation? Should he get the 17 odd runs in a sensible manner or should he take on their best bowler Rabada (having a dream match) with an ugly cross swipe?  

We can't compare odi with test also it was a choke as there were 3 ball left and he got run out not a catch or bowled while playing attacking shot or got out to a good ball. Why would you take a risky single when match is already drawn and you are one hit away from victory with last batting pair and 3 ball left. In fact I would call mother of all choke only to be competed By famous Bangla choke in w T20 against India.:hysterical:

One of the saddest losses and a symbol of yet another so near but so far for Tendulkar. Not blaming him at all, the other bozos couldn't hustle the paltry 20 or so that was left of the target after he got out. The wounds of this loss were finally healed for me after Sehwag thrashed a triple century destroying Saqlain Mushtaq and ending his career. I would rather remember the Kolkata Test, the highlights of which I still watch once in a while. 

33 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Sachin has choked many time in final, but can't call this knock as choke job. From 70-4 to bringing team near 17 run from victory after struggling from back injury was excellent performance it just that we had such a pathetic tail that they couldn't score 17 to win. Also some refer kumbble with broken jaw bowled , did he won that test? In addition with broken jaw and broken nos you can still bat and bowl. But with back injury  do you think a fast bowler or batsmen can last one or two over forget about making century in a crucial match. Having said this I agree that Sachin failed on many occasions in final but then who doesnt.?

Kapil won us the 1981 MCG  test with one leg. His shin was badly injured, later developed into stress fracture...took 5 wickets and defended a target of 140 against a scary Aussie batting line up. Arjuna Ranatunga won a match against India with a broken hand while Ashwin bowled us to victory in the Bengaluru (Oz) test despite hernia, other instances already mentioned in an earlier post. Done so that the weak excuse of 'stiff back' is sidelined for once and for all. And many fast bowlers have bowled their hearts out with serious injuries, Ryan Harris almost popped his knees in his quest to deliver a win in RSA. 

Coming to back injury VVS braved the same problem to register 2 match winning 4th innings contributions against Lanka (Colombo) and Australia (Mohali) in 2010. 

Edited by Gollum
19 minutes ago, bahubali said:

We can't compare odi with test also it was a choke as there were 3 ball left and he got run out not a catch or bowled while playing attacking shot or got out to a good ball. Why would you take a risky single when match is already drawn and you are one hit away from victory with last batting pair and 3 ball left. In fact I would call mother of all choke only to be competed By famous Bangla choke in w T20 against India.:hysterical:

Yes we can because of the importance and similar trajectory of the 2 matches. What Klusener did was suicidal but same with Sachin. It wasn't an attacking shot but an outrageous one, a similar shot against England more than a decade back resulted in Kapil being dropped for one match, Eden Gardens saw a riot because of that. There are only 2 options to explain Sachin's dismissal that day, either he fixed or he choked. I choose the second option because the other one is an incredulous proposition. 

37 minutes ago, bahubali said:

Also the greatest inning of 153 which Lara played was on the back of 3-4 drop catches just like Smith inning in Pune and also lot of plumb not given if anyone want I can share the video most ugliest inning of Lara I can say. People should realize some times it require luck more than your batting skill to make an inning great. 

1 tough drop catch and the umpiring was fine. Ugliest innings of Lara, what?

Not the way @SK_IH expected this thread to unfold :hysterical:. Sorry yaar, will stay away now. Enjoy the memories, nostalgia and whatever you wish !!!!

And :icflove: to fellow Sachin fans @Jimmy Cliff, @maniac, @Laaloo, @sandeep, @Adi BB

Amidst these minor arguments, we must live in the present and never forget who the real irritants are :laugh:, so let's chill and get back to bashing Rayudu, Dhoni, DK, Jadeja, Khaleel, Shastri and the other usual suspects. It's been 24 hours since I made fun of them and my hands itch. 

Edited by Gollum
6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Not the way @SK_IH expected this thread to unfold :hysterical:. Sorry yaar, will stay away now. Enjoy the memories, nostalgia and whatever you wish !!!!

And :icflove: to fellow Sachin fans @Jimmy Cliff, @maniac, @Laaloo, @sandeep, @Adi BB

Amidst these minor arguments, we must live in the present and never forget who the real irritants are :laugh:, so let's chill and get back to bashing Rayudu, Dhoni, DK, Jadeja, Khaleel, Shastri and the other usual suspects. It's been 24 hours since I made fun of them and my hands itch. 

454129869_download(1).jpeg.6ecef6e8dede57d9903569844f8051d6.jpeg

2 hours ago, Gollum said:

giphy.gif

No, sweet one. See, my precious: if we agrees with Sachinistas, then we can escape, even from them, eh? Perhaps we grow very strong, stronger than the Bombay midget. Lord Smeagol? Gollum the Great? The Gollum! Eat humble pies every day, three times a day, fresh from the icf forum. Most precious Gollum! Must have it...

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

Kapil won us the 1981 MCG  test with one leg. His shin was badly injured, later developed into stress fracture...took 5 wickets and defended a target of 140 against a scary Aussie batting line up. Arjuna Ranatunga won a match against India with a broken hand while Ashwin bowled us to victory in the Bengaluru (Oz) test despite hernia, other instances already mentioned in an earlier post. Done so that the weak excuse of 'stiff back' is sidelined for once and for all. And many fast bowlers have bowled their hearts out with serious injuries, Ryan Harris almost popped his knees in his quest to deliver a win in RSA. 

Coming to back injury VVS braved the same problem to register 2 match winning 4th innings contributions against Lanka (Colombo) and Australia (Mohali) in 2010. 

I think Sachin got back issue right in that game 1 where he batted as opener agaians kiwis. You will see that there is a shot over midwicket, straight bat, i dont know if went for six or four, but there was instant reaction of pain/ discomfort . Not many have mentioned it. 

And he gave up that shot later in career, but that straight bat pull from offstump over midwicket/longin for six or one bounce 4 is, i can guarantee , we will never see. Its gone with his back.

Now people used to play a match , so many matches with hamstring and used to get a runner. There is absolutely nothing heroic about that. It was just NOrmal and sign of poor fitness.

But in case of sachin, i can guarantee, he must have played series after series with that poor back, by simply avoiding that shot.

5 hours ago, mishra said:

I think Sachin got back issue right in that game 1 where he batted as opener agaians kiwis. You will see that there is a shot over midwicket, straight bat, i dont know if went for six or four, but there was instant reaction of pain/ discomfort . Not many have mentioned it. 

And he gave up that shot later in career, but that straight bat pull from offstump over midwicket/longin for six or one bounce 4 is, i can guarantee , we will never see. Its gone with his back.

Now people used to play a match , so many matches with hamstring and used to get a runner. There is absolutely nothing heroic about that. It was just NOrmal and sign of poor fitness.

But in case of sachin, i can guarantee, he must have played series after series with that poor back, by simply avoiding that shot.

Could have used a lighter bat. He was asking for trouble when he used heavy bats for a short guy like him. Those were the days when India was not a big draw. So he played like 5 tests/year and around 40 ODIs/year. So it is not that much strenuous than playing 12 tests and 20 ODIs. Its due to poor physical fitness. Must have eaten lots of vada pavs maybe :laugh:.

Sachin gets a lot of sympathy points that others don't get. Even VVS had the same back pain and he also had to shelve some shots. Him dancing down the wicket to spin was nowhere to be seen in his later years. But it didnt affect the game and he played a lot of clutch 4th innings batting with the tail that Sachin didn't manage to do. And he didn't get man of the match awards in a losing match :phehe:

21 hours ago, bahubali said:

The best part is Lara himself does not rate that innings high. He said in an interview that his 213 I think in Antigua was better than 153, even though that 213 came in a low pressure game.

Told you, he's a true artist at heart. Relies on mood to create magic.