Obscure and random cricket matches you remember.

maniac

In 2002 Ind Zim series 1st ODI,Ind scored 274. Zim were 210-8 after 44 overs.Out of nowhere,Douglas Marilier scooped and ramped  to 56(24) to win the game in last wicket. Zaheer had figures of 8-2-14-4.But finished with 10-2-47-4. Kumble got destroyed that day.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15394/scorecard/64753/india-vs-zimbabwe-1st-odi-zimbabwe-tour-of-india-2001-02

Edited by diehardpacer
1 hour ago, diehardpacer said:

In 2002 Ind Zim series 1st ODI,Ind scored 274. Zim were 210-8 after 44 overs.Out of nowhere,Douglas Marilier scooped and ramped  to 56(24) to win the game in last wicket. Zaheer had figures of 8-2-14-4.But finished with 10-2-47-4. Kumble got destroyed that day.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/15394/scorecard/64753/india-vs-zimbabwe-1st-odi-zimbabwe-tour-of-india-2001-02

that is still fresh in the memory

Same series another match when hondo took 4 wkts against us and we collapsed 

Anyone remembers the Titan Cup 1996 Tri Series involving India,  Australia and SA shortly held after the 1996 WC. 

In one of the India - Australia matches held in Bangalore,   India needed around 40-50 runs with just 2 wickets in hand and Kumble- Sri Nath took India to victory with their Mothers sitting and cheering in the stands. 

In one of the other India - Australia match held in the same tournament which was a virtual semi Final,  India put up a good score and Australia put up a fight till the 49th over where 6 runs were needed off 6 balls with only one wicket remaining. Tendulkar bowler the last over and a mix up happened at the first ball of the over and India qualified for the Finals against Sa,  which India won thanks to heroics from Ajay Jadeja. 

31 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Anyone remembers the Titan Cup 1996 Tri Series involving India,  Australia and SA shortly held after the 1996 WC. 

yes the 1st time i started watching cricket that was the series 

31 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

In one of the India - Australia matches held in Bangalore,   India needed around 40-50 runs with just 2 wickets in hand and Kumble- Sri Nath took India to victory with their Mothers sitting and cheering in the stands. 

In one of the other India - Australia match held in the same tournament which was a virtual semi Final,  India put up a good score and Australia put up a fight till the 49th over where 6 runs were needed off 6 balls with only one wicket remaining. Tendulkar bowler the last over and a mix up happened at the first ball of the over and India qualified for the Finals against Sa,  which India won thanks to heroics from Ajay Jadeja. 

Still remember kumble taking  4 wkt haul in final 

42 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

One of the most enjoyable ODI tri-series I remember watching. RSA looked unbeatable up until the final. Bloody Rakesh Maria ruined it for me a few years later when he said the final was "totally fixed" :((.

13 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Remember this was a Tri-Series involving Zimbabwe if it am not wrong. It also reminds us how difficult was it for us to defeat even teams like West Indies and NZ in those days. 

yes , 3rd team was zimbabwe

NZ was a good side in those days specially with an x-factor like bond 

It wasnt difficult ...we use to make a mess of finals. In this series we were winning every game easily...our batsman specially sachin was in top form . 

13 minutes ago, rageaddict said:

Sodhi, Dighe and Mohanty LOL,  Chris Gayle has been around forever played along with these guys and still playing. 

it was collymore who got us in the final

Then there was this 2001 home series vs WI when it was 3-3 and jermaine lawson destroyed us in decided

Ganguly was not a good captain for finals, he infact made a joke in his last year during a domestic competition where they again lost in final . I think he told manoj tiwary to take up the leadership saying they wont win final under ganguly

On 2/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, diehardpacer said:

that was an amazing innings for that time. chasing 12 an over with 8 wickets down was basically the game done in the pre t20 era. good series too, we were lucky to win it imo.

otoh this one hurt at the time, we were in a good position in the first innings too until jayasuriya as usual turned it on and made hay against us. i think this was the last time vinod kambli played for us, i know in bigg boss he said that he got abused at the airport when the team returned for their batting display in this game. :phehe:

first game of the inaugural champions trophy which was a thriller, went to the last ball and chris harris won them the match. this tournament till date is the only icc trophy saf has won, kallis was a real star throught it.

Edited by rollingstoned

I remember the australasia cup SF v Aussies in 90s in Sharjah. Sachin got out early in a run chase that made me nervous. Jadeja and Sidhu made a steady partnership for the 2nd wicket with both scoring 80+. Azhar made a run a ball 30 without much fuss. He was good at milking the singles without hitting that many fours and still stay run a ball. Then came Kambli and hit Warne for a couple of sixes and fours to seal the deal. Pakistan had already qualified for the final. I knew the odds in the 90s and that too in Sharjah and didn't watch the finals.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:26 PM, Cricketics said:

India vs Zimbabwe tied Match at Paarl in 1997 where Eddo Brandes Bowled a wide and our batting pair ran them self out. I was mad, furious that time to see us fk up the chance to win that game.

Watch from 4:18

Epic performance by Robin Singh, brought us back from the dead with smart cricket - quick running to steal extra runs, very occasional big hits to minimize risk of getting out. Salil Ankola and Kumble gave him good support.