Vijay Shankar is a bright prospect

7 hours ago, R.D forever said:

I strongly believe in having 6 proper batsmen in tests but if team management really wants an all-rounder then better to go with vijay shankar than pandya. Much better batsman than pandya technically and can easily score daddy hundreds in tests.

Bowling wise pandya has more pace but if it is overcast and swinging conditions i think shankar will be more or less equal.l think we should start preparing him for the next SENA tour

we shud carry both an use acc to conditions , we shud have done this during current sena circle but we were to busy in giving guys like rohit another go

if needed more depth in bowling - pandya

if in batting - shankar 

20 hours ago, Gollum said:

Your thoughts?

I personally feel he can be a good #4 in ODIs under prevailing circumstances. Solid bat, min 4 overs per match, good enough fielder. But more importantly I see him as a replacement for the struggling Rahane in the test team. He can work on his bowling in the meantime and at least try to become a Collingwood, Ian Harvey, Astle type bowler...if not better. Actually I see a lot of Collingwood in him. Decent FC credentials too. 

He adds flexibility to the XI..in ODIs he and Jadhav can be the 6th/7th bowlers if we consider Pandya as the 5th bowler. In tests again he won't be needed much in SC but in SENA he can get his quota of 5-8 overs per day as 5th/6th bowler. I think he can play a vital role in swinging conditions, dibbly-dobblies are tricky in England especially. Good fielder, large hands...can be groomed as a slip catcher as well methinks. 

PS: He shouldn't be in the scheme of things in T20 based on what I have seen, dunno about IPL...so maybe I am wrong. 

amavasai .. nee thaan pesaraya ? :shock:

( @vvvslaxman  .. translate it for both gollum and @sscomp32  :p: ) 

17 hours ago, R.D forever said:

I strongly believe in having 6 proper batsmen in tests but if team management really wants an all-rounder then better to go with vijay shankar than pandya. Much better batsman than pandya technically and can easily score daddy hundreds in tests.

Bowling wise pandya has more pace but if it is overcast and swinging conditions i think shankar will be more or less equal.l think we should start preparing him for the next SENA tour

Agree that Shankar is technically a better batsman than Hardik Pandya. Not only that, actual perfromance-wise too there is no comparison whatsoever as far as their FC and LIST A batting performance is concerned.

FC batting  averages:

Shankar - 47.70

Pandya - 30.02

LIST A batting averages:

Shankar - 37.53

Pandya -  28.02

56 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Agree that Shankar is technically a better batsman than Hardik Pandya. Not only that, actual perfromance-wise too there is no comparison whatsoever as far as their FC and LIST A batting performance is concerned.

Both shudnt be compared as both as very diff player

Pandya is an attacking player , Shankar is a solid batsman 

Pandya is not polished, shankar is 

pandya cant bat higher then 6, shankar can bat from 3-6 anywhere

In terms of batting in test shankar is miles ahead but pandya has the talent

In terms of LOI batting both cant fight for same role as shankar can play as proper middle order batsman who ll compete with many, pandya is a lower order hitter with not much competition 

bowling wise Pandya leaves him miles behind 

10 hours ago, flamy said:

Pandya is bowling allrounder (other teams, look at NZ, treat him as an actual bowler when they play him, not part-timer, and his bowling is better than his batting hit-outs), Shankar is a batsman who can roll his arm over.

Perfect combo. There might be days where Pandya can go nuts with bat and SHankar might chip in with a few. We basically have better odds of getting more out of the two.  4 Rayudus <<<<  Pandya + Vijay shankar.

11 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Perfect combo. There might be days where Pandya can go nuts with bat and SHankar might chip in with a few. We basically have better odds of getting more out of the two.  4 Rayudus <<<<  Pandya + Vijay shankar.

Shankar and Pandya shouldn't necessarily be competing with each other,both have different strengths,its like saying Kallis and Klusener cannot both play in the same XI-read this comment in cricinfo and I think its apt.

21 hours ago, flamy said:

Pandya is bowling allrounder (other teams, look at NZ, treat him as an actual bowler when they play him, not part-timer, and his bowling is better than his batting hit-outs), Shankar is a batsman who can roll his arm over.

Shankar has to be seen as a batsman, his ability to sideline Rayudu means he has become a bit valuable from WC point of view, nothing against Rayudu but i think he can not cope with pace, which VS seems to be able to do specifically. 

12 minutes ago, Vilander said:

Shankar has to be seen as a batsman, his ability to sideline Rayudu means he has become a bit valuable from WC point of view, nothing against Rayudu but i think he can not cope with pace, which VS seems to be able to do specifically. 

That is not the only issue of Rayudu. He is one of the worst fielder in the world. Another aspect is he is born selfish. By nature he cannot stop being selfish. Be it is running batsman out or playing uber slowly to remain not out or joining a rebel league his priorities are all about himself.  Pretty sure he is buttering up all the captains as well. 

https://www.crictracker.com/twitter-blames-ambati-rayudu-for-running-vijay-shankar-out-in-wellington/