What is your realistic take of India’s chances against each team this WC?

maniac

7 hours ago, Gollum said:

Gut instinct, no logic and hence won't explain. 

Group stage-

Easy win against Afg, Ban, Lanka, Eng, RSA

Tough win (last over thriller) against Pak, WI

Lose against Aus, NZ fairly tamely

We will finish 2nd or 3rd in the group and qualify for semis to take on either Eng or Oz. Kohli will win toss and elect to field and we will get a thrashing for the ages, even CT F will pale before it. If we run into Eng they will score 400-450 courtesy a massive choke by the bowlers, then proceed to win by 250-300 runs. Top 3 will fail in the crucial match like always, Kohli will once again prove what an overhyped ODI bat he is and I will request mods to lock that joke Viv-Kohli thread for good. Dhoni will as usual play a pointless innings like WC 2015 SF and plod away to a worthless 60, @velu will open 679 threads about how Dhoni has to come back in test team and also lead the team in ODIs/T20s. The ICC tourney drought will continue. 

Apt ,a better in form team will smash us to pieces just like pak in CT,aus in wc15,windies in wt20 

11 hours ago, Gollum said:

Gut instinct, no logic and hence won't explain. 

Group stage-

Easy win against Afg, Ban, Lanka, Eng, RSA

Tough win (last over thriller) against Pak, WI

Lose against Aus, NZ fairly tamely

We will finish 2nd or 3rd in the group and qualify for semis to take on either Eng or Oz. Kohli will win toss and elect to field and we will get a thrashing for the ages, even CT F will pale before it. If we run into Eng they will score 400-450 courtesy a massive choke by the bowlers, then proceed to win by 250-300 runs. Top 3 will fail in the crucial match like always, Kohli will once again prove what an overhyped ODI bat he is and I will request mods to lock that joke Viv-Kohli thread for good. Dhoni will as usual play a pointless innings like WC 2015 SF and plod away to a worthless 60, @velu will open 679 threads about how Dhoni has to come back in test team and also lead the team in ODIs/T20s. The ICC tourney drought will continue. 

Just adding something to Gollums post here.

India's problems are more or less the same since the 2.5 decades or so that I've been watching cricket. The team suffers from

a superstar culture much like the other different fields in the country. Mostly the team is built around 1 or 2 guys at best. Team building culture is just not there, IMO. The middle and lower order hasn't been given a chance to be built and tested long enough at the cost of this superstar culture and the crazy management which has either no patience or a myopic vision and the lack of balls to drop players who aren't good anymore.  The side lacks heavy hitters throughout the batting order. It is EASY and I repeat very easy for a batting heavy team to just brush aside this team as seen in the wc 2003 final, WC 2015 semi and the 2016  WT20 semi.

Of all the various Indian teams I've seen and performances only the 2010/11 team comes close to a solid team with performances from Tendulkar Gambhir Yuvraj Zaheer help us see a win. You need a core of 5-6 players delivering back to back in terms of batting to help us win the cup.

The only good thing in the last 2 years is the performances of our bowlers. I'd like to give Kohli and the team management credit for just that. I've said this before, saying it again if we win the cup it'll be because of our bowlers and if we lose it, its the batsmen.

Generally the game against Pak should be a relatively easy one considering the respective team's strength like we have showed in Asia Cup. But in WC, with the additional pressure of WC streak, memory of CT final loss, Recent terror/military incidents, I'm bit worried about the pressure handling of the current crop who seems to be leagues below on mental strength level to the other Indian WC outfits that took on Pakistan before. Likes of Rayudu, Chahal, Pant, Jadhav, Rohit, Bhuvi even Bumrah for a bit, do not seem to handle any additional pressures when they are down. So the game against Pak might be a very tricky one if Kohli has an off day.

India's strength traditionally has been batting but this time around, I dont feel confident about our batting. Barring top 3(with Dhawan's patchy form) and shaky middle order and not much firepower in lower order, I feel all games against big teams will be tough. Even bowling doesnt seem much to write about, especially seam attack barring Bumrah. 

I honestly feel India have punched well above their weight recently in ODIs. With other teams bringing their best in WC, Indian team will be in for a tough challenge. 

Should start as favorites against SC teams but could be anyone's game against SENA teams.

I think the Indians are experimenting too much. They should have fixed their squad by now, taking provisions for injury 

Secondly the IPL is not going to help them. 

It's not easy travelling city to city and playing high intensity games without break 

There can be needless injuries and may also cause technique issues

Thirdly  the transitions from IPL to odi and that too in a totally different conditions 

I'm not sure if Indians are the top fav to win this WC 

At best they can reach the semis.. That too if they have enough in their tank 

Afghanistan- IND should win this - The spin trio may have possed a bigger threat in sub-continent but should be fine in Eng.

Srilanka- I can't really see SL doing well here. Seems to be alot of internal problem (most recent with the coach aswell)

Bangladesh- This guys are a mystery. Really depends on how many senior player performs. Could be walk in the park or a touch and go battle but IND should win if top 3 doesn't get out cheaply.

Pakistan- Same situation as BD, however they have a better chance of winning V IND

South Africa- I would say IND would win this one. SA seems to fragile these days. AB should hav stuck around.

WI- I worry about Gayle on top order and Russell at bottom. Even a 400+ won't look safe if Gayle keeps his current form.

Australia- Australia wins this.

Nzl- I would say NZ will also win this

England- England Wins (possibly the WC aswell). Too effing strong from top to bottom. You can't have a Dhoni playing a 90 ball 50 and put on a sub-par score and expect these boys to roll over. It would take the bowlers everything they got and even some more to pull this off. 

On 3/15/2019 at 12:34 AM, Aiden said:

First 4 games India likely to win with first 3 convincingly making it easier for them in later stage against tough teams. ICC has made sure India has a very favourable schedule to qualify for semis.

I'm starting to realize why you have so many negative trolling feedback here. Every team will have to play the same amount of games in the group stage, wtf kind of logic are you spitting out here? Regardless of if we are playing England or Afghanistan on our first game or last game, we still have to play against them and beat them. Stupidity has no limit here ...