Shreyas Iyer: "I am just waiting for my chance."

15 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

He is not a finished product . 

Plays spin very well .  But most of the big shots are down the ground and from long on to Wide mid wicket . He just needs to use the off side areas 

vs spinners . Then he will become not predictable .

For me  he does not have the same shot making ability against Pace as compared to Shaw or Pant among youngsters . Hardly plays Pull or Hook . 

Needs more improvement vs Pace  to be good package . 

But  good in rotation of strike , good fielder , to be persisted with . Will improve .

Yes agreed.... he gave frashness to our stinking middle order but he needs to improve his game against pace. Especially hitting game and i am sure if he will be given long run he can improve.

8 hours ago, raki05 said:

Yes agreed.... he gave frashness to our stinking middle order but he needs to improve his game against pace. Especially hitting game and i am sure if he will be given long run he can improve.

He can still have nearly run a ball strike rate even against pacers as he picks singles well . That's his big plus apart from power hitting against  spinners.  the more overs he gets to play , better he would be as he can anchor without too many dot balls . In between he will get chances against spinners in 20-40  overs period to make up his strike rate . 

Where he lacks a bit  is when he needs to hit big against good pacers with  few overs left. 

That was very evident even in yesterday's match. Took 31 runs off a spinner , but that over from Chase was absolute rubbish . But when pacers came back he could not bring out big shots and eventually got out. 

Edited by prudent_kreeda
On 12/17/2019 at 12:54 AM, Gollum said:

If at all possible, going to the next WC we must look at Iyer at #3, Kohli at #4. In KOs VK goes missing too often, him being exposed so early may not be a good ploy but a batsman like that controlling the innings at #4 boosts our MO strength a lot. Iyer can play at a high SR, very dynamic, perfect fit to get a top 3 slot. 

Exactly, got to sandwich youngsters between experienced players. Top 3 right now represents all our experience in one baskets 

On 12/19/2019 at 12:47 AM, Vk1 said:

Shreyas Iyer is indeed the ideal man for number 4.  

Scores quick singles..can easily hit big sixes against spinners. should develop that skill against fast bowlers as well and then he can be the ideal anchorman finisher.

Let him get some runs in SA, England and Australia....

Somehow i get the feeling that he will be sitting duck in these countries...

What is his avg in these countries when he played for India A?

28 minutes ago, gakgupta said:

What is his avg in these countries when he played for India A?

All those countries have better batting pitches than even our grounds.

2 hours ago, gakgupta said:

We're talking about LOIs, not Tests. You're making it seem like it's all bouncing and seaming in those countries when the reality is that there are batting friendly conditions even there. 

10 minutes ago, ganeshran said:

If you can't play the short ball, you can't survive for long 

He plays spin really well but not yet convinced against pacers, his assault on starc notwithstanding 

He will get better ,he has that x-factor which people have overlooked unfairly.

Edited by putrevus
8 minutes ago, ganeshran said:

If you can't play the short ball, you can't survive for long 

He plays spin really well but not yet convinced against pacers, his assault on starc notwithstanding 

Steve waugh could never play short ball all his life. He is an x factor. Let us appreciate his special skill of producing a 25 run over if needed. We don't need great hook shot players like DK, Rahane who average 30 at a strike rate of 75. We need impact player. This guy can be very dangerous in flow.

Wonder how many in ICF have faced Starc and hazelwood in Bangalore under a full house to comment that ... you are not convinced ... wonder how y’ll will feel if the same rules apply to you at your job ... 

ppl should just STFU and appreciate when  any player does well and not moan about what he cannot do .... Sheryas is much better than anything that the BCCI has done in the past with the number 4 position .... for BCCI’s BS selection policy I think they have done ok... with Sheyas so far ...  

9 minutes ago, figo6762 said:

Wonder how many in ICF have faced Starc and hazelwood in Bangalore under a full house to comment that ... you are not convinced ... wonder how y’ll will feel if the same rules apply to you at your job ... 

ppl should just STFU and appreciate when  any player does well and not moan about what he cannot do .... Sheryas is much better than anything that the BCCI has done in the past with the number 4 position .... for BCCI’s BS selection policy I think they have done ok... with Sheyas so far ...  

Hopefully with the way Kohli seemed to be communicating with Iyer in the middle that Kohli sees him as his new pet project of sorts and give him the backing that he gave Rayudu.

27 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Just watched the Iyer inning. He treated starc and Hazelwood like trundlers.  Fearless shots all across the ground.  That SIX off starc was the best one.   He may not hv the pull shot in his bag.  But does not matter if he keeps playing this way.

he needs to work on facing short balls though