England gloating thread

11 hours ago, R!TTER said:

how Zak completely lost it in the first over for us 

I have bad PTSD from that game, and have managed to block out a lot of the finer details - but I think its harsh to put it that way.  Horror start yes, but game wasn't lost then.  It was lost after  the 32nd over or so, when Srinath and co. kept bowling predictable pace and length on an absolute batting beauty of a track.  Those front foot pull shots out of the ground.  I want them erased from my brain. 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

CT final had one spinner too many for a subcontinent team. Also Ash was returning from an injury. India needs to play more seamers against Padosis

Jaddu was worse that day, didn't get to complete his quota. 

Honestly if pitches are going to be like this, then the WC CAN be one by the team with the strongest batting..All England needs to do is score 350-400 every match in the group stages, and in the knockouts 300 is enough because of the pressure situation. They certainly bat as deep as possible(no 11 for * sake), and it is not as if their bowling is bad, certainly better than our bowling in the past when we have won tournaments, or the bowling of some other teams of the past.  Eng bowling can deliver especially if their batting fires for them. 

Edited by I6MTW

I think you guys are reading a bit too much into it. 

All cricket fans know that England haven't been good at ODI cricket for donkeys years.  This World Cup is a major opportunity for Cricket to market itself to the England public and make a proper push to expand the fan base.  Add to that, they have a team that's been really good at ODI cricket, for some time now.  They cannot afford to mess this chance up.  They have to be desperate and feeling the pressure to 'sell' cricket at home.  Add to that, the sheer dumb-ass-ery of their board and their 'hundred' project.  I feel pity for the England commies, not anger.

Besides pomposity comes natural to the pommies.  Let's be understanding, its a bit of a genetic defect:p:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/cricket/andrew-strauss-opens-up-how-16174620

Andrew Strauss opens up on how ANGER was driving force in England's ODI revival

Andrew Strauss has lifted the lid on the anger that drove him to make the changes needed for England’s shot at World Cup glory.
And on the eve of a home World Cup in which England are clear favourites, Strauss admitted that changing the way white-ball ball cricket is viewed will go down as his proudest achievement in the game alongside an away Ashes win. The former managing director of England cricket is now one step removed from direct involvement in this summer’s epic contests that also include an Ashes series starting in August. Strauss had already left his post when he lost his wife Ruth at the turn of the year following a battle with a rare form of lung cancer, but his impact on what is to come has been immense.

While captain Eoin Morgan and coach Trevor Bayliss will deserve all the praise they get should things go well, it has been Strauss’ vision that has got them this far.
“The first thing is, I was angry,” said the 42-year-old former skipper. “Four years ago, I was doing some media work and I was angry at watching us repeat the same mistakes we had made in so many World Cups before that.

“And I thought it didn’t have to be that way.“It just felt to me like, if we want to do well at World Cups then we’ve got to prioritise white-ball cricket and stop treating it as secondary until the next tournament comes up.“We needed to change the method, the style and the attitude to the 50 over game where we were lagging behind other teams which meant what we needed was a coach, a captain and players who wanted to and were able to play that way and who weren’t going to be deflected from that if they had a bad game.”

Strauss even has the wherewithal to admit that he had been part of the problem as a player:
“When I came back into the side in 2009 I had to play more aggressively, and did. But I should never have played 127 times for England in one day cricket. My game wasn’t good enough that if I had a great day at the office we would definitely win the game.

“What we needed was six, seven, eight match-winners in the team who, when they come off and have their great day, that’s it, the game is done. We never really had that collection of players. Now we do. The batting in particular has just been incredible and for the first time probably since 1992 this is an England team that genuinely believes it can win the World Cup.

“I’ve been to the tournament with teams that say they can win but in truth know there are much better teams than them and their chances are slim to non-existent.”
Understandably, Strauss places most of the credit with Morgan and Bayliss — two men he was smart enough to appoint and even smarter to stick with when the skipper didn’t tour Bangladesh in 2016.

World Cup 2019: Andrew Flintoff predicts results of all 10 teams'

https://www.crictracker.com/world-cup-2019-andrew-flintoff-predicts-results-of-all-10-teams/

Former England captain Andrew Flintoff on Wednesday co-anchored the opening ceremony of ICC World Cup 2019 in London and he predicted the results for all the 10 participating nations. The 41-year-old former all-rounder who has played in two World Cups (2003 and 2007) joined all the voices making bold predictions about the tournament and said it will eventually be England who will take the trophy on July 14 when the final will be played.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41

While Freddie felt defending champions Australia will be the semi-finalists this time, he did not give 2015 finalists New Zealand much of a chance. “Not giving them much hope, to be honest, but I like the New Zealanders,” Flintoff said in a video which was shared by Cricket World Cup on Twitter.

On former champions Pakistan, Flintoff said the Men in Green are good in tournament cricket but gave them an outside chance in the competition. The former cricketer reiterated South Africa’s ‘chokers’ tag indirectly saying they are a good team but will not be able to hold their nerve.

Flintoff predicted Afghanistan will beat one of the big teams while Bangladesh will struggle in the English conditions. He gave two-time champions Windies an outside bet and said Sri Lanka always have a chance even though the Islanders have had a poor run in ODIs of late.

India could get knocks out by India, feels Flintoff

About Virat Kohli’s India, Flintoff said the former champions could be finalists or semi-finalists who could get knocked out by England. About his home team, he said Eoin Morgan’s men will be the champions of the 2019 edition. England has made the final of the cricket World Cup thrice in the past but lost on all occasions, the latest being in 1992 in Australia when they lost to Pakistan.

England takes on South Africa in the first match of the World Cup opener at the Kennington Oval on May 30. It will be the seventh occasion that the two sides are meeting in the World Cup. Both teams won three games each. It was, however, South Africa who had beaten England by 122 runs the last time they had met in the World Cup in 1999.

On 5/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, sandeep said:

I have bad PTSD from that game, and have managed to block out a lot of the finer details - but I think its harsh to put it that way.  Horror start yes, but game wasn't lost then.  It was lost after  the 32nd over or so, when Srinath and co. kept bowling predictable pace and length on an absolute batting beauty of a track.  Those front foot pull shots out of the ground.  I want them erased from my brain. 

arse ponting he scarred a generation, srinath was so owned all his playing career by ponting. want India to play Aus in final and fcking trash them.

Edited by Vilander

Someone please post Jonny Bairstow's excusefest, ironically titled "I'm not making excuses" here.   

Need to make some special popcorn for this.  If India take care of business, Alhamidhabibullah, I will be celebrating on Sunday like we won the WC already.

Problem with England is their spin twin of Rashid and Ali hasn't clicked, Rashid was instrumental in England's rise to no.1 taking middle over wickets. 

Moeen Ali was over-rated by pundits and over-hyped by England, he had his moments, but not good enough for international cricket, he normally makes runs during of run of play when opposition is already down.

England cocked up, not having David Willey in the Xi or at least squad.  

Problem with England is their spin twin of Rashid and Ali hasn't clicked, Rashid was instrumental in England's rise to no.1 taking middle over wickets. 

Moeen Ali was over-rated by pundits and over-hyped by England, he had his moments, but not good enough for international cricket, he normally makes runs during of run of play when opposition is already down.

England cocked up, not having David Willey in the Xi or at least squad.