Rishabh Pant is too hackish to succeed consistently at this level.

On 6/30/2019 at 10:32 PM, the don said:

Probably the third time i have watched him bat and every single time i have seen him play a slog a ball for barely a 100 strike rate.
Very un-indian batsman in that he is certainly not easy on the eyes and just makes hitting look difficult as opposed to effortless.
Just my opinion. Thoughts ?

Thought he'd need to work on his batting for limited overs cricket the first couple of times i saw him. 

The hackish approach will seldom work in International limited overs cricket. 

He's pretty young though. 

I agree with you but 100 on dead oval pitch without pressure is not something to belittle Dhoni on. Dhoni batted with maturity in test cricket especially abroad, shepherding the tail. When our entire team was collapsing to swing in England, Mahi was making 50s with his home made approach. He also had 90s, one was at Lord's when rain came into the equation and India 9 down. That 224 at Chennai by Dhoni remains one of the best innings by an India wicket keeper. Dhoni allowed himself the freedom there he had shown in ODI cricket - one of the best ever finishers whether you need to attack or defend. 

Pant has a long way to go but is promising, you can't compare them in tests yet let alone ODIs.
What about the hundred made in SCG ?

If oval pitch was flat then what about the pitch which dhoni got 224??

While pant got that century batting against likes of Starc, cummins and Hazlewood ...dhoni has to get all those runs against kreza ....

Dhoni never got a hundred outside subcontinent in his long career.....that talks about his test batting....

Yes...may be in patches...he would have batted better....like you said in that England tour .....but this happens with everyone....

I remember, Bhuvi got lots of runs in a series in England ..... Ashwin got lots of runs in a series against Australia...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Pant needs to spend some time away from the team, playing domestic here and abroad like county. The good think about him is that he doesn't really have a technical deficiency or else he would have been exposed in the away test matches already where he has succeeded beyond expectations.  

What is troubling him though is his shot selection and/or execution, seldom due to the bowlers does he get out. This is bringing in added criticism and forcing him to try that extra bit harder , either hit too hard or play with doubt in his mind.

Some time away, just far from the focus will be better for the lad. With a little bit more self belief he can then be back. Like Mayank, he has the ability to force a hopefully better team management to action. He is young and has enough time on his hands . In the meantime, we can try the rest of the guys to see if they are ready. It's a win win for all.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:03 PM, gakgupta said:

What about the hundred made in SCG ?

If oval pitch was flat then what about the pitch which dhoni got 224??

While pant got that century batting against likes of Starc, cummins and Hazlewood ...dhoni has to get all those runs against kreza ....

Dhoni never got a hundred outside subcontinent in his long career.....that talks about his test batting....

Yes...may be in patches...he would have batted better....like you said in that England tour .....but this happens with everyone....

I remember, Bhuvi got lots of runs in a series in England ..... Ashwin got lots of runs in a series against Australia...

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Same match Sachin couldn't even get 100 lol :gossip:  

Pant played on biggest patta of all and It was a dead rubber 2nd innings in England lol

Edited by Rasgulla
2 hours ago, New guy said:

Played at his best place at no.5 and played a good innings today 

Could have scored a hundred, missed an excellent chance. But he controlled his impulses and left the wide of off stump balls throughout his innings to score at run a ball without appearing to try too hard. Hope he gets a century or two in the remaining games. 

Edited by nevada
52 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

That backfoot punch on the up on a slower ball for four probably the best shot of the game.

The critical thing in that shot was the pause where he could make out the change of pace and kept the ball down. Again it shows no need to throw everything at the ball & loose

all balance. Guy can punch enough force even if he delays his shot a bit.

6 hours ago, prudent_kreeda said:

The critical thing in that shot was the pause where he could make out the change of pace and kept the ball down. Again it shows no need to throw everything at the ball & loose

all balance. Guy can punch enough force even if he delays his shot a bit.

He is young and he has more power than most youngsters but he thinks he has to put everything to hit big shots and that at times becomes his downfall.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He is young and he has more power than most youngsters but he thinks he has to put everything to hit big shots and that at times becomes his downfall.

Yes.

Last 2 games for the first time , i am pleased about the way he played . Hope he just carries on same path . The moment he starts looking to hit more boundaries rather than aiming sixes every ball , he will become consistent , more balanced as he will pack a punch at the last minute  after deciding where to hit and also making out any change of pace.

Further

1)  Should stay deep in the crease esp. later part of the innings and prepare for the slower balls  . Most bowlers now use change of pace to get him out bowling good length or little short of good length and balls going away from him and he is trying to hit them down the ground or long off  in the air and holing out in off side trap.    Counter this with strokes from the back foot -> slash towards point , deft cuts to fine third man , punch drive to cover /extra cover. Once he starts playing these shots bowlers will struggle as to how to bowl to him.

2)  Next plan from bowlers would  be again to make him hoick to leg and get caught . He should develop swat slog keeping the ball down in the  arc between wide long on to mid wicket .

I will be very happy even if he clones some of the shots Pooran plays . The shots he plays towards long on to mid wickets with powerful swats keeping the ball down are the one i would like him to copy .    

Once he remembers there is off side too and the boundaries also give 4 runs which is just 2 runs less than 6 ,  he will be alright , MIGHTY  alright .

Edited by prudent_kreeda