What next for Vijay Shankar?

3 minutes ago, Cricket_Fan said:

Tendulkar got out to Anderson on his fag end of his career when he was declining.

For Gill, It might or might not come with experience .But at the moment, he doesn't have it and Vijay Shankar has it. That's all I am saying.

How does Vijay have it? HE also edged in the match against West Indies when the ball decked back in. Besides Gill is a pedigree batsman who scores big. Shankar is not even the best batsman from his own state. 

6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

How does Vijay have it? HE also edged in the match against West Indies when the ball decked back in. Besides Gill is a pedigree batsman who scores big. Shankar is not even the best batsman from his own state. 

Because he played well in Newzealand series. He negotiated the moving ball better than most of our batsmen on that day and looked compact. Gill has not showed anything at senior level yet. I don't give much relevance to runs scored in Ranji unless that can be replicated on A tours. We all know how Mr 300 Nair turned out to be.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:53 AM, Cricket_Fan said:

Gill is not ready at the moment and has technical flaws against moving ball as we saw in NewZealand series. Vihari has a huge short ball problem and his spin will only work in India. Shankar has batted really well in Newzealand and was able to negotiate the swing. Also his bowling will come good in SENA conditions.

every player has weaknesses. even if we assume that shankar is some kind of dravid-level or SRT-level technician (which he most certainly is not), he has glaring mental weaknesses that have arisen more than once. less said about his so-called bowling the better. the only pitches on which it will be useful is the green mambas, but such pitches are becoming rarer. shankar's physique is also unconvincing to me - seems like the guy who will break down often.

You can keep him as backup for Pandya , that's it. He does not qualify in any side based on either batting or bowling alone which should be a key requirement for all-rounders unless he is somebody like Stokes or Shakib who are pretty decent in both disciplines. You surely can't place him at 4-5 when Agarwal, Gill, Iyer, Pandey are much more qualified for those positions.

On 7/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, Cricket_Fan said:

Gill is not ready at the moment and has technical flaws against moving ball as we saw in NewZealand series. Vihari has a huge short ball problem and his spin will only work in India. Shankar has batted really well in Newzealand and was able to negotiate the swing. Also his bowling will come good in SENA conditions.

This was the reason he was picked but unfortunately, he wasn't in the team when such a situation came up. 

40 minutes ago, rtmohanlal said:

I think he deserves his chances . An avg: of 47.7 in first class  with a few wkts  in bowling ....  Can be a handful in swinging conditions with the ball.

Not one standout FC innings or FC season. He's not even the best FC batsman in his state side (Baba Indrajith is the best one). Was lucky to get a national break.

3 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

I think he deserves his chances . An avg: of 47.7 in first class  with a few wkts  in bowling ....  Can be a handful in swinging conditions with the ball.

nearly every indian batsman has over 50 batting avg (including test failures like rohit) and his bowling in FCs is pathetic.

2 hours ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Not one standout FC innings or FC season. He's not even the best FC batsman in his state side (Baba Indrajith is the best one). Was lucky to get a national break.

he is probably the 3rd best. mukund and indrajith.

2 hours ago, chewy said:

With his size, height and strength,.needs to get his speeds up to 135-140 kph,

Needs to work with the right bowling coach at MRF up his speed

Lol Abhey kuruvilla says hello when you mention Size and height. I don’t think he has power and strength.

Edited by gattaca