Is this the greatest NZ test side of all time?

Gollum

GOAT Kiwi test side?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Verdict?

• Yes
    • No
    • Tied with some other NZ side (specify)

Kane - Their best ever batsman

Ross Taylor : 3rd best after Kane and Martin Crowe

Latham and Nicholls- Among their top 10-12 batsmen

Watling- Their ATG wk

Southee+ Boult+Wagner - Best ever pace trio

That's 8 of their current squad. The golden generation and a well deserving number 1 Test side. The way they mercilessly shamed us earlier this year will forever remain an embarrassment for us :((

7 minutes ago, Khota said:

Pakistan team will make every team look the greatest.

A full up Indian team would beat NZ like a step child.

Exactly!!! Like we beat them 2-0 early this year with Kohli, Pujara, Rahane etc scoring tons and our pace battery obliterating them..... 

What a blood bath it was! New Zealand got slaughtered at home

On 11/28/2019 at 11:39 AM, Gollum said:

They have been phenomenal in all formats in recent years, they made the last 2 WC Fs and last WT20 SF. 

Talking about the ultimate format...has there ever been a better NZ side?

#2 rank in tests (first time this high LINK), they have a shot at becoming #1 next year, IMO our biggest threat since we face them in their backyard. 

Firstly this is my all time NZ XI without including any of their active players

Turner

Wright 

Sutcliffe

Crowe 

Fleming (c)

McCullum (wk)

Cairns

Vettori

Hadlee

Bond

Chris Martin

You may not agree with this XI, probably you have more knowledge about old era players. Fleming gets the nod ahead of Crowe as my skipper. 

Current NZ team has probably its greatest batting unit. Their greatest batsman in Williamson, his 'Robin' Ross Taylor, Latham who might turn out to be their greatest opener in a few years time, an outstanding keeper-bat in Watling, another solid test batsman in Nicholls. CDG isn't that good but Santner might be the closest player to Vettori...I feel his batting ceiling is higher. 2 gun test quicks in Boult, Wagner with Southee as well albeit he has declined. The likes of Henry, Ferguson and Milne are waiting on the sidelines, exciting quicks. All in all this does look like the GOAT Kiwi team.

IMO Williamson, Taylor, Boult are already part of AT NZ XI...they will take the places of Sutcliffe, Fleming and Chris Martin respectively...not only is Boult better but he adds variety when partnered with Bond, Hadlee, Cairns, Vettori. I would be tempted to play Watling as the keeper and make Baz play as pure batsman maybe even as opener in place of Wright....he did much better when he left the gloves. So that's 4 current NZ players who walk into the AT side. Perhaps in spinning conditions Santner takes the place of Cairns. Other spots more difficult to breakthrough but don't rule out Latham 6-7 years from now, even the great Glenn Turner may find it difficult to hold on to his spot. 

Doubt any other current side has >=4 players who would make it to their all time XI. Bangladesh doesn't count and India will have a few players (4-5?) who might walk into AT side in specific conditions (still debatable), not in all conditions like NZ.

What say folks? Have any other NZ side in mind, from the past? 

Crowe should be captain. No ATG team is complete without Nathan Astle

Edited by coffee_rules
On 11/29/2019 at 2:39 AM, Gollum said:

They have been phenomenal in all formats in recent years, they made the last 2 WC Fs and last WT20 SF. 

Talking about the ultimate format...has there ever been a better NZ side?

#2 rank in tests (first time this high LINK), they have a shot at becoming #1 next year, IMO our biggest threat since we face them in their backyard. 

Firstly this is my all time NZ XI without including any of their active players

Turner

Wright 

Sutcliffe

Crowe 

Fleming (c)

McCullum (wk)

Cairns

Vettori

Hadlee

Bond

Chris Martin

You may not agree with this XI, probably you have more knowledge about old era players. Fleming gets the nod ahead of Crowe as my skipper. 

Current NZ team has probably its greatest batting unit. Their greatest batsman in Williamson, his 'Robin' Ross Taylor, Latham who might turn out to be their greatest opener in a few years time, an outstanding keeper-bat in Watling, another solid test batsman in Nicholls. CDG isn't that good but Santner might be the closest player to Vettori...I feel his batting ceiling is higher. 2 gun test quicks in Boult, Wagner with Southee as well albeit he has declined. The likes of Henry, Ferguson and Milne are waiting on the sidelines, exciting quicks. All in all this does look like the GOAT Kiwi team.

IMO Williamson, Taylor, Boult are already part of AT NZ XI...they will take the places of Sutcliffe, Fleming and Chris Martin respectively...not only is Boult better but he adds variety when partnered with Bond, Hadlee, Cairns, Vettori. I would be tempted to play Watling as the keeper and make Baz play as pure batsman maybe even as opener in place of Wright....he did much better when he left the gloves. So that's 4 current NZ players who walk into the AT side. Perhaps in spinning conditions Santner takes the place of Cairns. Other spots more difficult to breakthrough but don't rule out Latham 6-7 years from now, even the great Glenn Turner may find it difficult to hold on to his spot. 

Doubt any other current side has >=4 players who would make it to their all time XI. Bangladesh doesn't count and India will have a few players (4-5?) who might walk into AT side in specific conditions (still debatable), not in all conditions like NZ.

What say folks? Have any other NZ side in mind, from the past? 

I have a problem when people call boult, southee and wagner as 'quicks'. Apart from that I agree with the rest. This is the best n.z side ever. They are an ATG side but they would never win in India or Australia. 

On 12/31/2020 at 3:39 AM, Tridibans_16 said:

Exactly!!! Like we beat them 2-0 early this year with Kohli, Pujara, Rahane etc scoring tons and our pace battery obliterating them..... 

What a blood bath it was! New Zealand got slaughtered at home

Yea? Because it was kohli. His dunderhesd thick head thought we dont practice games. India always play well when they prepare practice tour games. 

Look at who are openers were for those 2 tests. Missing our best swing bowler and no left right combo. 

Let's see a rematch. 

17 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

That ravindra guy in squad is another good player to watch out for. 

He will make his debut in India.  That's for sure.  Bowls handy left arm spin + top order player.  Honestly they could have tried him in 2nd game instead of Mitchell. 

On 11/28/2019 at 10:40 PM, Gollum said:

The 2009 NZ side we beat was a joke, weakest side representing them this millennium. From that XI only Vettori, Ryder and Martin will make the current XI. A drawn series next year will be a good accomplishment, of course we have to aim higher but being realistic here. 

Chris Martin? Who will you replace with Martin? I don't think he was anywhere close to Boult, Jamieson, Southee and Wagner

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

Chris Martin? Who will you replace with Martin? I don't think he was anywhere close to Boult, Jamieson, Southee and Wagner

Made that post in 2019. Now tough for him to break into this side, maybe in SC conditions he can get a look in. 

This is most complete NZ team. But they will struggle on flat pitches as they don't have the x factor bowler who will force the issue but on helpful wickets they are  mighty impressive as a team. Glad NZ does not have morons  who want Latham to be captain replacing KW.

Edited by putrevus

Conway and Jamieson have taken this side to another level. Top finds both of them, quality openers and fast bowling ARs are the toughest to find. 

Taylor, Watling, Wagner will retire soon and they lack a decent spinner (maybe Patel is the answer?). Without spinner(s) and reverse swing merchants tough to see them competing in Ind....against Aus their mental block will get the better of them. 

Top side especially for Eng/NZ/RSA conditions. Looking at their squad depth they will be eying that top 2 spot even in the next WTC cycle. 

Edited by Gollum