Delhi assembly election dates announced

vayuu1

3 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

Make Vellore the capital but first put up the condition of mandatory Hindi learning in all Tamilnadu schools. That should be fun :p:

I think locals call it 'Veyyil Uur' (unsure about spelling cos my pronunciation sucks, @velu help), literally means 'blazing hot city'....summers can become unbearable there, apparently much worse than Chennai. Hindi shouldn't be a problem in Vellore because it has many colleges with students from all over India, also a sizable Muslim population that speaks Urdu well. Useless info of the day but it saw India's first mutiny against the goras, 50 years before 1857. 

Just now, Gollum said:

I think locals call it 'Veyyil Uur' (unsure about spelling cos my pronunciation sucks, @velu help), literally means 'blazing hot city'....summers can become unbearable there, apparently much worse than Chennai. Hindi shouldn't be a problem in Vellore because it has many colleges with students from all over India, also a sizable Muslim population that speaks Urdu well. Useless info of the day but it saw India's first mutiny against the goras, 50 years before 1857. 

I believe there had been a mutiny organised by Dewan Velu Thampi ( @velu) of Travencore a few years before it which could be said as the first concerted attempt to thwart the British rule. 

2 minutes ago, Stradlater said:

I believe there had been a mutiny organised by Dewan Velu Thampi ( @velu) of Travencore a few years before it which could be said as the first concerted attempt to thwart the British rule. 

Did that involve Indian sepoys revolting against EIC troops?

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Did that involve Indian sepoys revolting against EIC troops?

Nah that was more of a local rebellion kind of a thing. But if we are talking in a strictest sense of the word then I believe there was a one small mutiny in the Bengal army as early as 1764 which was easily quelled before it got out of the hand.