NZ vs Ind | 2nd Test | Christchurch | Feb 2020

zen

well this series was a sobering reality check. at least if anyone was still high on kohli and shastris jazba kool aid they aren't - or shouldn't be - any longer. I don't see this as the end of the world but as a useful lesson on team selection and approach going forward. if we were really gutsy we would bring kumble back and take the captaincy away from Kohli but i see the likelihood of that being as much as pigs flying in the near future at least.

Confusia gaya hai launda

Virat Kohli: "It was a matter of not having enough intent in the first game, and not closing out here. We didn't bowl in the right areas for long enough. They created a lot of pressure. It was a combination of us not executing well enough and New Zealand sticking to their plans. The batsmen didn't do enough for the bowlers to try and attack. The bowling was good, I thought even in Wellington we bowled well. Sometimes if you bowl well and things don't happen, you have to take it in your stride. Disappointing, have to go back to the drawing board and correct things going forward. Toss, you could think about it being a factor, but we don't complain. It did give extra advantage to the bowlers in each Test but as an international side, you're expected to understand that. We accept it upfront and if we have to win away from home, we have to do that. No excuses, just learning moving forward. In Tests, we weren't able to play the cricket we wanted to."

56 minutes ago, Cricspin said:

Too little too late..

Should have taken some wickets during the first 5-6 overs.  Cant really be too hard on the bowlers, there is no scoreboard pressure at all.

Well, NZ won by 7 wickets looks better from Indian perspective. Also Bumrah has improved in this test overall. This was as bad a series for him with the bowler as for Virat with the bat.

He still perform better than Chokli.

54 minutes ago, First class said:

India is still the best ODI team , thanks to likes of Sharma and now Rahu, but not the best test team anymore. 

No we are not. England and Australia will maul us with their aggressive cricket. Our captain and management still have the mindset of conserving wickets and playing safe while those 2 teams have every batsman going for big hits from ball 1. Also New Zealand on their day can easily defeat India in ODIs

My observations about this test-

Prithvi has weakness  against bounce n swinging ball. Not ready to open for India in tests as of today but he is extra special...he can  start ducking to bouncers which he cant hook.

Mayank aggarwall also has to improve 

Virat has to strengthen his defensive game 

Pujara has to play positively so that if he plays 180 balls he scores a 100 not a 40 or 50 as 50"s dont help much.

Vihari is good ..he can improve.

Rahane was preparing for tests for so long but his performance was average.

Rishabh looked stupid ..he cant play on green tracks ..no defensive game..saha should be played. 

Umesh has become a Trundler ..bhuvi or other swing bowler should be played. Umesh should play for his state only now...I wont play him even in India as v can grow prasidh and saini.

We missed ishant big time in this test..he at full pace is as good as Shammi n bumrah and is the best india pace trio. 

Saini also has to improve..he under performed in odi.

1 hour ago, Cricspin said:

Too little too late..

Should have taken some wickets during the first 5-6 overs.  Cant really be too hard on the bowlers, there is no scoreboard pressure at all.

Well, NZ won by 7 wickets looks better from Indian perspective. Also Bumrah has improved in this test overall. This was as bad a series for him with the bowler as for Virat with the bat.

ind needs to quickly find a left arm outswing bowler that brings the ball back into the right handers, these are the guys that will get you wickets in the first 5 overs. We have seen it happen often when zaheer/nehra/pathan/rp swing were playing in SENA

Such a large talent pool and can’t find one ffs

4 hours ago, SK_IH said:

Guess what was shown just after the defeat. MSD arriving in Chennai for IPL. That is Indian cricket at the moment in a nutshell :hysterical:

I dont say this at all.

This is the best post of India's tour of NZ.

A pathetic indictment of the state of Indian cricket where a humiliating abysmal loss is masked by a player who should have retired 5 years ago.

The level of cricket shown by this team is third tier as compared to ENA countries. Thanks to brain fade by NZ in t20 otherwise this tour would be utter shambolic nonetheless it is. Its time to stick watching football instead of this unmotivated and overly paid players who  wil laugh and giggle in IPL and we moronic public claps.

For the first time I have started to dislike cricket. Never happened previously even though we have had beatings in SENA, but the apathetic attitude by the captain is very telling.

WHY DONT INDIANS BOYCOTT ANY PRODUCTS THAT KOHLI TRIES TO MARKET?

It seems this is the only way to send a message to sponsors, BCCI and team management that this is unacceptable.

Ive seen India lose in SENA many times, they at least "pretended to be hurt and upset". Kohli acts like this is a random insignificant event.

17 minutes ago, vivek04 said:

The level of cricket shown by this team is third tier as compared to ENA countries. Thanks to brain fade by NZ in t20 otherwise this tour would be utter shambolic nonetheless it is. Its time to stick watching football instead of this unmotivated and overly paid players who  wil laugh and giggle in IPL and we moronic public claps.

Good comment about the Football.

I think I need to stop following India for a while its been upsetting and frustrating.

It seems also nothing at all can be done to fix the issue, because everyone is scared of the big names in Indian cricket and upsetting them, like Ganguly, Shastri and Kohli.

7 hours ago, Nonbeliever said:

Meanwhile kohli continuously cracking jokes and laughing in the slips..

i think this is his way of coping with adversity, seen the same after CT final loss, or when Dhoni was pottering around in an ODI in England playing for a draw and Kohli was chatting away happily in balcony. As an individual, how he relaxes mentally after a taxing series is up to Kohli. But boy, does this send a wrong signal to the rest of the team when you see your captain behaving nonchalantly after an absolute drubbing.

Yes, its just a game at the end of the day, but professional sportspersons, that too representing the country, need to hurt after such losses. This should trigger introspection in the entire system. Even australia have been mauled in India through the years, but they put up more fight, you can see the pain in their faces when they lose. Anyway, over the years they have put in far more fighting performances in Indian and Asian conditions than we have in SENA. Our only benchmark in cricket should be the Aussies - dominating SENA is a distant dream till our junior level coaching/academies improve, but being competitive like the 2000s team should be the immediate goal. Kohli/Shastri must go.

2 hours ago, Cricwala said:

i think this is his way of coping with adversity, seen the same after CT final loss, or when Dhoni was pottering around in an ODI in England playing for a draw and Kohli was chatting away happily in balcony. As an individual, how he relaxes mentally after a taxing series is up to Kohli. But boy, does this send a wrong signal to the rest of the team when you see your captain behaving nonchalantly after an absolute drubbing.

Yes, its just a game at the end of the day, but professional sportspersons, that too representing the country, need to hurt after such losses. This should trigger introspection in the entire system. Even australia have been mauled in India through the years, but they put up more fight, you can see the pain in their faces when they lose. Anyway, over the years they have put in far more fighting performances in Indian and Asian conditions than we have in SENA. Our only benchmark in cricket should be the Aussies - dominating SENA is a distant dream till our junior level coaching/academies improve, but being competitive like the 2000s team should be the immediate goal. Kohli/Shastri must go.

Good post.

Correct. India does regularly beat Australia in India but you are correct, the loss hurts and cuts the Aussies up on the inside. They fight to the death, they bleed for the country.

Indian cricket players I feel bleed for their sponsors and commercial interests.

6 hours ago, SRT100 said:

I dont say this at all.

This is the best post of India's tour of NZ.

A pathetic indictment of the state of Indian cricket where a humiliating abysmal loss is masked by a player who should have retired 5 years ago.

most of the indian cricketing fandom care only about pyjama and white ball cricket even if it may be dodgy and just a money laundering front. it;s like going to a 3hr movie at the multiplex for them where you can forget your life and take selfies. it's another thing that the fandom is big enough that there are enough 'purist' nerds among them who will also move the needle which is why test matches in metros in india are often full and the media will scrutinise a bad away series defeat like the one we just suffered.

Edited by rollingstoned
4 hours ago, SRT100 said:

For the first time I have started to dislike cricket. Never happened previously even though we have had beatings in SENA, but the apathetic attitude by the captain is very telling.

WHY DONT INDIANS BOYCOTT ANY PRODUCTS THAT KOHLI TRIES TO MARKET?

It seems this is the only way to send a message to sponsors, BCCI and team management that this is unacceptable.

Ive seen India lose in SENA many times, they at least "pretended to be hurt and upset". Kohli acts like this is a random insignificant event.

Dude ICF uncles don't even make 0.01% of the population. :phehe: If virat read this forum he ll laugh his ass off.