Hardik Pandya shows his support to the Black Lives Matter Movement

Cricketics

32 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

He could be a wannabe. He could be a buffoon. But he is exercising his right to voice his opinion. He doesn't care if he comes across as a buffoon. Why should we?

Also, how is this any different from, say, Kangana tweeting about the gruesome beheading of the teacher in France?

That series of tweets was met with general approval. Definitely on this website.

Should we appreciate activism only if it espouses a cause we are in solidarity with?

What makes you think I support an opportunist like Kangana? I am not an islamophobic like her, nor do I support this fake jingoism of nationalism. 

While Hardik certainly has a right to voice his opinion, his timing and place seems off. 

I do not support a religious fanatic who beheads a person, and neither do I support a political opportunist and hatemonger like Kangana.

4 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

What makes you think I support an opportunist like Kangana? I am not an islamophobic like her, nor do I support this fake jingoism of nationalism. 

While Hardik certainly has a right to voice his opinion, his timing and place seems off. 

I do not support a religious fanatic who beheads a person, and neither do I support a political opportunist and hatemonger like Kangana.

I am not saying that *you* support her. That was a comment in continuation to my thought flow from the previous lines.

My apologies. I should have been more specific.

Edited by Mariyam

10 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

Hardik Pandya gets a lot of grief in general.

Ever since that Karan Johar talk, he's been vilified as some sort of a menace. 

Yes he said stupid stuff and basically made it clear that he is a fool. But the real tragedy is that the BCCI banned him for a few games. 

Get your head around that. They banned a cricketer from playing cricket for what he said (foolishly, no doubt) half in jest to a series of pointed questions asked to him in a scripted TV show.

He was called on the show simply because *he is a successful cricketer*. He spoke stuff that mainly made no sense and was very cringe. I can get it if a brand doesn't want to be associated with that kind of a projected image. But BCCI throwing him under the bus invoking some vague article from their charter of conduct in face of severe social media pressure is completely uncalled for. The widespread approval this type of knee jerk punitive action gets in our society at large is the real intolerance of our times. 

So much for the BCCI being an all powerful body.

That is absurd! He spoke words which lacs of youngsters who adore him, heard. You certainly dont want to set such examples for your youth. 

And what he spoke was not foolish, What he spoke was a mindset. The same mindset which tells a guy that if a girl wears short clothes, she is ' asking for it'! Do you really endorse that kind of view?

1 minute ago, Rightarmfast said:

That is absurd! He spoke words which lacs of youngsters who adore him, heard. You certainly dont want to set such examples for your youth. 

And what he spoke was not foolish, What he spoke was a mindset. The same mindset which tells a guy that if a girl wears short clothes, she is ' asking for it'! Do you really endorse that kind of view?

I am not endorsing anything he said in that talk show. Not in the least. Yes he made very sexist comments, but they seemed to be rather foolish/ exaggerated. Maybe he got carried away.

He apologised in a matter of days.

I can buy the 'mindset' argument, but the entire 'lakhs of youngsters' with a role model who they look up to etc etc is a stretch. Those youngsters like him mainly for his cricket. They have a brain of their own. Lets not hold such a poor opinion of the abilities of a large section of our population.  

My point is that the BCCI has no business banning him from playing cricket for saying whatever he said.

Does Star World have no culpability in all of this? Did they not do a hygiene check before they broadcast? Could they have not edited out the very obviously sexist parts? Yet they chose not to because they knew the eyeballs that this episode would gather because of the nature of the replies.

32 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

He could be a wannabe. He could be a buffoon. But he is exercising his right to voice his opinion. He doesn't care if he comes across as a buffoon. Why should we?

Also, how is this any different from, say, Kangana tweeting about the gruesome beheading of the teacher in France?

That series of tweets was met with general approval. Definitely on this website.

Should we appreciate activism only if it espouses a cause we are in solidarity with?

Hardik is an employee of MI. He used his “office” place and hours, and under team uniform. Whereas Kangana used her personal capacity and platform. Its totally invalid comparison.

Then, it speaks of opportunism rather than sincerity. He doesn’t comment on Indian affairs, yet wanted to talk about some foreign movement.

4 minutes ago, someone said:

Hardik is an employee of MI. He used his “office” place and hours, and under team uniform. Whereas Kangana used her personal capacity and platform. Its totally invalid comparison.

Then, it speaks of opportunism rather than sincerity. He doesn’t comment on Indian affairs, yet wanted to talk about some foreign movement.

That is right. But that isn't the bone of contention. Are you trying to say that if Hardik knelt and did the BLM salute at home in regular clothes ( if you can call his clothes that) his activism would be a lot more sincere or attract lesser criticism? I hardly think so.

Why must one comment on Indian affairs before commenting on a foreign movement? Commenting on Indian affairs reeks of far more opportunism. You need to take a stand politically and can have something to gain if your views gain traction. High risk high reward game. Commenting on BLM gets him no political recognition in India.  

Why does his tweet evoke such a strong reaction anyways? He is a cricketer/entertainer. Not a thought leader.

It would be funny if on a Indian Lives Matter campaign only Indians are participating in it. Validity of such campaigns also depend upon how others value Indian lives. Similarly, the reason to support BLM. 

Good to see that Hardik is a pioneer in this aspect too! 

If there were a Indians Lives Matter campaign and If people outside of “Indians” support it, it is likely to be because of people like Hardik.

7 hours ago, saged said:

gxc9y2lq3av51.jpg?width=911&auto=webp&s=fb48464177db4049b949400134f623d2aad46ac1

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/cricket/hardik-pandya-first-player-in-ipl-to-take-a-knee-supporting-black-lives-matter-movement/article32941530.ece

>Mumbai Indians all-rounder Hardik Pandya has become the first player in the ongoing Indian Premier League to take a knee in support of the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement.

>After the match Pandya even tweeted a picture of himself with the caption “#BlackLivesMatter“.

Were they playing the National Anthrm for him to take a knee? Nakli sasta bewakoof Kaepernick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._national_anthem_protests_(2016–present)

Edited by coffee_rules

14 minutes ago, zen said:

It would be funny if on a Indian Lives Matter campaign only Indians are participating in it. Validity of such campaigns also depend upon how others value Indian lives. Similarly, the reason to support BLM. 

Good to see that Hardik is a pioneer in this aspect too! 

If there were a Indians Lives Matter campaign and If people outside of “Indians” support it, it is likely to be because of people like Hardik.

Hardik=Sir Don+Nelson Mandela :woot:

SDNMP? 

6 hours ago, The Dark Horse said:

Fact of the matter is he is a wannabe black and this just makes him that much closer to being one :giggle:

Now waiting to see our Indian players standing upto issues in India :winky:

He pretends to be on the Black side, as he must have learnt about the myth of them having large sized ornaments. Nakli nautanki. This is what he said on the KYJ show -

I like to watch and observe how they move. I'm little from the Black side so I need to see how they move”,

67456295.jpg?resizemode=4&width=400

Edited by coffee_rules

Issue may be close to his heart. A lot of Gujjus live in Carribean. Pandya may have Caribbean cousins. 

On personal front, When I saw that video of George Floyd murder, I was mentally devastated and angered tosay least. But then i saw antics of Black Lives Matter protests. all the sympathy with cause dissipated as the protests went more and more violent. Now I think they are agenda people.

Poor Pandya may have become tubelight since Karan Johar interview. His brain takes time now to process and react

Edited by mishra

4 hours ago, Vickydev said:

Yes, smiling and giggling while taking the knee. If you've got to do it, then do it honestly...otherwise its just posing really. 

Two separate issues here.  

(1) Does he have a right to express himself?  Yes, absolutely.

(2) Should his somewhat cavalier expression while kneeling invite criticism?  Yes, absolutely.  It casts doubt on the "he really believes in it" hypothesis.  

Having said that, I didn't watch it.  All I have is just this snapshot.  Maybe he took a serious knee, and the smile and wave was done later towards his friends/team-mates who acknowledged his act.  Most importantly, what else will he do?  Will he donate towards anti-discrimination efforts?  Volunteer to mentor kids from socio-economically poor backgrounds?  Start a school somewhere?  That's what matters.