We must be wary of England!!

1.  They are our bogey side and have been so for the past 10 years .

2. This English side plays spin pretty well - Bairstow , Root, Crawley, Lawrence and even Buttler are fairly well organised while playing spin. 

3. Jadeja in home tests is not only our best left arm spinner but he is a terrific allrounder who gives us incredible depth. Him not being available is a big hit for both our batting and bowling

4. Umesh and Shami are our skiddy reverse bowlers who attack the stumps . We dont have them. England have Mark wood 2.0

5. Cant prepare big turners as bess and leach are pretty decent spinners and if we bat last , it may not end well for us. 

6.  We have a pink ball test this time that would bring Anderson and Woakes into play.

7. Lastly, there is bound to be some issues in our side with the return of Kohli as captain. 

How can we ensure that we put England under the pump from ball one. Do we have skiddy bowlers who bowl reverse and a quality left arm spinner to surprise England? Also what pitches should we prepare ? 

Discuss.

Umesh is a freakin  big big loss..  He is an ATG in Asia.   Bumrah will play his first test in India.  Hopefully he fills the big shoes of Umesh (weird in itself). 

Jaddu is a loss..  But Axar & Sundar are capable replacements.  High Hopes from Axar. 

Kuldeep will finally get a chance as well. 

I think Wood would be expensive like Nortje was in India. 

Watch out for leg cutters of Broad.  He is Ashwin of Fast bowling. 

If we win the toss Poms would be smashed.  If Root's lucky with toss,  they'll run us close. 

Prepare same pitches like vs SA.  Although Faf was unlucky to lose 3 tosses...  India made the most out of it. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

Don't think 4-0 will be as easy as people here think it is. Especially with the pink ball Test being there.

This England team can be unbelievably clutch at times. Archer, stokes, Butler...any of these can turn the game on it's head in a session if we drop our guard down.

I'll be more than happy with 3-0 or 3-1or 2-0 even

6 minutes ago, Norman said:

Don't think 4-0 will be as easy as people here think it is. Especially with the pink ball Test being there.

This England team can be unbelievably clutch at times. Archer, stokes, Butler...any of these can turn the game on it's head in a session if we drop our guard down.

In the Aus pink ball test our top order did reasonably well in the first innings, it was our tail that folded like a cheap suit. However, at home conditions our tail plays very well, so that shouldn’t be a worry. I’m hundred percent sure we’ll manage a score of minimum 330-350+ in our first innings, and back our bowlers to keep their total below 200 in both their innings. Their batting line up looks mostly inexperienced. The likes of Bumrah Ishant and Siraj will run riot in the pink ball test

Our batting looks strong for a change  (  provided  Pant and Sundar are not dropped by Kohli  )

This will help a lot.

Jadeja, Shami and Umesh missing is a big issue.

I think Bumrah will be as good in India and more than make up for Umesh.

Jadeja's batting will be made up by Sundar.

Ashwin and Kuldeep will take care of the spin department.

Only the 2nd fast bowling slot will be a bit iffy in the first 2 tests. 

We must be wary of ourselves as well.  We are the champions now and it is easy to relax, take it easy.

I remember after the 1983 WC euphoria, WI visited and wiped the floor with us.  5-0 in ODIs and 3-0 in 5-test series with 2 innings victories.  Not that Eng is the same kind of team or anything, but it was clear that India was still celebrating and paid a price.  

1 hour ago, Norman said:

They are the most unpredictable team going around . We need to ensure that their seamers dont get any lateral movement whatsoever atleast for the red ball tests and ensure they are just good batting tracks . Their bowling gets completely neutralized when theres no sideways movement.

1 hour ago, prudent_kreeda said:

First & the foremost thing India should do is to play  for atleast 2 days and over 150 overs  in Chennai heat and make their aging bowlers lose all the GAS .  We have seen even Archer goes soft by 3rd spell.  Couple of such long innings by 2 nd Test then we are on our way ! 

This. Flat tracks and hopefully we bat first

. Need to bury them and make them bowl for 2 whole days. Broad was already bowling 80-82 mph in sri lanka. 

35 minutes ago, sage said:

Remember that England are playing Sri Lanka without 4 or 5 first teamers as well and did a more than adequate job. Don't think it will be very easy. Especially with Rat as captain dragging us down.

Sri Lanka is f'ing terrible.  You can't take anything from ENG performance against that trash side.

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

Our batting looks strong for a change  (  provided  Pant and Sundar are not dropped by Kohli  )

This will help a lot.

Jadeja, Shami and Umesh missing is a big issue.

I think Bumrah will be as good in India and more than make up for Umesh.

Jadeja's batting will be made up by Sundar.

Ashwin and Kuldeep will take care of the spin department.

Only the 2nd fast bowling slot will be a bit iffy in the first 2 tests. 

Ishant is good enough as a 2nd bowler & our best perhaps for Pink ball test as he has a 5 for vs BD.  Hopefully Bumrah turns up..  As Umesh takes 4 fers & 5fers for fun sometimes,  2-3 wickets won't cut it. Bumrah should attack stumps like Umesh does & he is skiddy as well. 

2 pacers would be fine I think.

3 spinners with Ashwin Kuldeep & Sundar/Axar.  Good depth overall in batting.