Movies that surprised you!

zen

Papillon (2018) This movie certainly surprised me as it was a remake of 1972 one.  I don't usually watch remakes as they don't do justice to original ones but not this one.  Although original has its own charm & legacy & probably that's why some people hated it. 

The film was brutal and unforgiving in its depiction of the penal colony in France in the 1930s and the escape sequences were exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I totally loved it. 

In the Mood for Love (2000, HK) 

I had heard good things about this film but did not check it out before as I assumed that this is not my kind of film. It is a story set in the 1960s about two neighbors whose spouses are having an affair and how they deal with it. Finally checked it out and liked it! Its cinematography and score are nice too:

On 5/30/2021 at 7:05 AM, Lone Wolf said:

Papillon (2018) This movie certainly surprised me as it was a remake of 1972 one.  I don't usually watch remakes as they don't do justice to original ones but not this one.  Although original has its own charm & legacy & probably that's why some people hated it. 

The film was brutal and unforgiving in its depiction of the penal colony in France in the 1930s and the escape sequences were exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat.  I totally loved it. 

I will try to give it a shot if it is on Netflix, Prime, etc.  I liked Steve McQueen’s Papillon therefore did not bother to see this. McQueen is among my favorite actors … A long time ago I read the book too.

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966, French) ... One of the films that I had avoided because I felt that it required me to be in the right mood for it but finally got to it after the film remained for years in my watchlist ... Very good ... Tells the story of a donkey and his various owners, many of whom treat him callously:

Edited by zen

Memories of Murder ... I watched it a long time ago and did not have plans to revisit it in the near future ... Criterion released it in a director approved restored version recently, therefore I checked it out ... What surprised me was that watching it felt as good as when I saw it for the first time (watching it after a long time probably helped). It remains one of the best police procedural films. Since you know that it is based on a true story, it always keeps you interested 

As for the Criterion 4K restoration, it is solid. Criterion used bleach bypass process to give it a relatively monochromatic (desaturated colors), which works well for such films ... There is a green tint, which some may not prefer, but I had no major issues with it 

One of the best examples of a restoration using the silver-tint process (making the film close to B&W) is 1984, which is among the best blu-rays that I have seen:

La Jetee (1962, French) ... I knew that it was some kind of a Sci-Fi ... I was totally surprised with its presentation which was still photographs w/ narration. The length of the film was around 30 mins. One of the most unusual films that I have seen! 

Midnight in Paris.

I am bit of a Europhile and I have been lucky to go their for most of by office work trips, Including 2 years living as an expat in Spain. I have been to almost every major European capital and 16+ countries there. But always liked Paris and this movie just kind of blew me away. 

The concept of Nostalgia, and everyone in his time admires the older times. The one in 1920s loved the turn of the century and so on.

Man I too would love to live in that 20s Paris. But current cities of Spain are absolutely wonderful as well if you have a decent job.