India's top 8 in T20Is

This is under the assumption even a bewakoof like Kohli will kick out Dhawan before T20 WC later this year.

What he won't do is resign / drop himself or Rohit so the assumption is both Kohli and Rohit start when fit. 

With that in mind, we can have at most 3 accumulators (ie slow starters) leaving 5 hard-hitters (can hit from the start and are asked to bat with that mindset) in the top 8, of which at least 3 need to be able to turn the arm and one wicketkeeper. 

Accumulators - 3 out of 4 from Kohli, Rohit, KL, Iyer

Hard-hitters - 5 from Hardik, Jadeja, Samson, Kishan, SKY, Pant (as an opener), Mayank, Shaw

This will mean accommodating a flexible batting lineup and ensuring we only have 1 accumulator batting at a time. If a hard-hitter gets dismissed, send the next one. 

The theory of Pant opening is beyond my logic. We need as many as 3 brilliant hitters in middle order and you are taking away that one spot of Pant from there and putting him as opener.

Rohit

KL( backup opener- Samson, Shaw)

Kohli

Pant( backup - Kishan)

Shreyas( backup - SKY)

Pandya

Jadeja( backup should be hard hitting all-rounder like Tewatia or Samad)

Sundar

Bhuvi (Shardul, Chahar as backup)

Shami/ Natrajan

Bumrah

43 minutes ago, Majestic said:

The theory of Pant opening is beyond my logic. We need as many as 3 brilliant hitters in middle order and you are taking away that one spot of Pant from there and putting him as opener.

Rohit

KL( backup opener- Samson, Shaw)

Kohli

Pant( backup - Kishan)

Shreyas( backup - SKY)

Pandya

Jadeja( backup should be hard hitting all-rounder like Tewatia or Samad)

Sundar

Bhuvi (Shardul, Chahar as backup)

Shami/ Natrajan

Bumrah

Pant is more comfortable during Powerplay.. he can give explosive starts

4 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Pant is more comfortable during Powerplay.. he can give explosive starts

Teams success is more important than individual success.

KL, Rohit and Samson are also more comfortable during powerplays.

But in middle order, we definitely need the duo of Pant and Pandya as they can hit sixes with quite ease compared to rest.

16 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Teams success is more important than individual success.

KL, Rohit and Samson are also more comfortable during powerplays.

But in middle order, we definitely need the duo of Pant and Pandya as they can hit sixes with quite ease compared to rest.

atm I dont see Pant as a finisher in international cricket against top teams.. would rather play him as an opener or top 3

Pant needs to open. Period. 

In tests he scores fast as fielders are not on the boundary most of the time. 

In odis he struggles to find that gap once pp is over. 

He can be destructive when fielders are in and even a casual viewer can see this. 

Don't understand why he is not getting the opening position. 

3 hours ago, Vk1 said:

atm I dont see Pant as a finisher in international cricket against top teams.. would rather play him as an opener or top 3

But he was magnificent during IPL 2019 in middle order at no.4. He played some brilliant innings there. In 2020, that version was lost but now that it is back, then I think it's only a matter of time he starts performing and winning games for India at 4-5.

Edited by Majestic
9 hours ago, SinNombre said:

Accumulators - 3 out of 4 from Kohli, Rohit, KL, Iyer

Are proper hitters not just accumulators, in fact at their best they'll easily outhit & outbat the rest of the team! Brat has never been a hitter & post WC 2019 seems to be going down the drain ala Dhongi post 2011 :hmpf:

If you're talking those that can hit from ball 1 against lethal pace, then there aren't many in this lineup! Even at our best only SRT, Yuvraj & probably Sehwag had that ability.

Sickening to see people pencil Jadeja as sure shot into T20I XI, this guy has mediocre strike rate for lower order hitter, he always struggles to clear sixes in IPL or International limited overs. Has never done anything of note in IPL with the bat to win a game.

Half a dozen better options than him.

Need to stop mixing his Test credentials with T20 or ODI requirements. 

Kohli, Kishan, Samson, Surya, Pant, Hardik, Sundar, Chahar, Bumrah, Natarajan, Prasidh

Bench:

Lokesh, Krunal, Tewatia, Bhuvi, Thakur

If Varun C injury free then I would include him

Unless some.of the above fringe guys have stellar IPL, cant see them get a look in above limited guys like Rohit, Dhawan, Iyer

These are the batsman ill be looking at in regds to their role for this t20 wc. Not including likes of Jaddu, Axar, krunal, sundar, tewatia  in the list......just batsman 

Opener

• Rohit
  • Kohli
  • KL
  • Kishen 
  • Samson

3 & 4

• Kohli
  • Pant
  • KL
  • Samson 

5-7 (finishers)

• Pant
  • Kishen
  • SKY
  • Pandya
  • DK 

Shaw- only if he has a great IPL 

Dhawan, Iyer, Manish, Gill, Mayank wudnt be in my plan

Edited by Ankit_sharma03

Heres a fantasy team of golden oldies, only ever played test cricket, but could have made a handy T20 team...aggressive and deep batting, a genuine quick (for that zamana anyway), quality spinners- indeed, lots of bowling options- good fielders too

Mushtaq Ali

Budhi Kunderan (wk)

Polly Umrigar

MAK Pataudi (c)

Chandu Borde

Vinoo Mankad

CK Nayudu

Dattu Phadkar

Bapu Nadkarni

L Amar Singh

S Gupte

Durrani, Nissar, Hazare, Tamhane

Edited by Sooda
On 3/15/2021 at 7:04 PM, Sooda said:

Heres a fantasy team of golden oldies, only ever played test cricket, but could have made a handy T20 team...aggressive and deep batting, a genuine quick (for that zamana anyway), quality spinners- indeed, lots of bowling options- good fielders too

Mushtaq Ali

Budhi Kunderan (wk)

Polly Umrigar

MAK Pataudi (c)

Chandu Borde

Vinoo Mankad

CK Nayudu

Dattu Phadkar

Bapu Nadkarni

L Amar Singh

S Gupte

Durrani, Nissar, Hazare, Tamhane

Ali was quick as was Kunderan based on reputation, but nos. 3-6 were quite slow in actuality. I would have abid ali somewhere in the team. played very few ODIs but has stellar record. excellent fielder, utility batsman and bowler. an interesting question to ponder over.

Coming to our top 8:

We cannot play more than 2 consolidators in top 3:

Kishan

Rohit/KLR

Kohli

SKY

Pant

Hardik

Thakur

Sundar/Jaddu

People may think thakur is a bit high at 7, but I think he is one of the few proven players who can hit from ball 1; has excellent SR in LOIs for India. all of our 4-7 can score quickly, which is what we need. No. 8 is mostly there as insurance to do some rescuing if needed. can be replaced with krunal if needed.