Afghanistan Turmoil

ravishingravi

My heart bleeds seeing what’s happening in Afghanistan. Seems Taliban have clawed back 3/4 th of the territory and its just a matter of months before we are back into the dark age. 

So reminiscent of Vietnam, just worse. I have always said that nation states don’t have morals only strategic interests. But within that, I think USA might take pole position on bring perhaps the most destructive nation on earth, all considered. After bombing the country in pursuit of democracy, they withdraw to throw the people back into the hands of the warlords. People talk about strategic interests with America. I say absolutely not. 

This is a disastrous situation and one does feel helpless. 

Edited by ravishingravi

1. They didn't bother to snuff out the Taliban when the had the opportunity to do so earlier. They just lived and let live

2. They didn't build a strong Afghan army - there is a Guardian article that goes into the specifics of how the US chose not to make a strong Afghan army - rather just paper over structural cracks while turning a blind eye to the corruption and mishandling of money going into the Afghan army

3. They brokered a deal with the Taliban - despite knowing what the Taliban is and what they will do once they pull out.

4. Their retreat was just hasty. They didn't bother to keep the locals in the loop about what was going to happen and how the Afghan army would need to take over. Bagram air base is a good example. They just turned off the lights and left.

5. The Taliban was created by the US in the first place to put the Soviets in place. They were heralded as heroes in the 80s and turned a complete blind eye to the takeover of Taliban in the 90s. Only when 9-11 happened did the US even bother about Afghanistan. 

Expect for Pak and the USSR - noone else has done more to destroy the Afghans.

Just now, Mariyam said:

How does this augur for India?

We've invested a lot in infrastructure/telecom in Afghanistan over the years. But that aside, how is this going to affect security for us?

Investment doob gai as per Paxtan media. But I am still hopeful we have got some gains out of trying to provide infrastructure for Afghans.

46 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

We've invested a lot in infrastructure/telecom in Afghanistan over the years. But that aside, how is this going to affect security for us?

India's investments are done for. Will be either turned over to the Chinese, Paks (redundant given earlier country) or junked. 

Security wise I'm hoping it will augur badly for Pak given the Taliban will want Pakhtoonistan.

Qatar, UAE (underground) and Paxtan heavily invested in Taliban support. It will heavily backfire with Paxtan playing victim card and cry that they are victims of other people’ war. It is 1998 all over again. US couldn’t sustain such a long drawn out war. They should have learnt from the Cold War. India list all control and never had an semblance of RoI in Afghanistan. 

4 hours ago, rkt.india said:

How long US could have stayed? Situation wasn't getting better, especially when Islamic countries are in full support of Taliban.

Right. But Only 3500 US soldiers were there in April and things were ok (compared to know) 3500 soldiers is not huge.

Northern areas' loss is surprising and more sad coz that wasn't Taliban stronghold.... hoping against hope that Gen. Dostum (Uzbek) can reverse the situation in North... central Afghanistan is hilly and is hazara dominated....rest of the nation (excluding Kabul and mazar e Sharif ) has fallen.

Edited by randomGuy

4 hours ago, Mariyam said:

1. Afghans (atleast those who support the govt. ) are friends of India. India values and cares for its friends

2. Human rights, women rights etc are going to be bad under Taliban which is a loss for humanity.

3. Terrorism is kashmir may go up...most Indians will remember the hijack of IA plane to Kandahar, release of terrorist masood Azhar.

Edited by randomGuy

I’m no Geo Politik expert, but isn’t the Taliban coming to power bad news for Pakistan as well? I mean they refuse to accept the Durand Line and also just asked Pakistan for visa free border crossing for afghan citizens. On top of that they also support the Pakistani taliban. Don’t understand why Pakistan has invested in them

20 minutes ago, QuarantineTormentino said:

I’m no Geo Politik expert, but isn’t the Taliban coming to power bad news for Pakistan as well? I mean they refuse to accept the Durand Line and also just asked Pakistan for visa free border crossing for afghan citizens. On top of that they also support the Pakistani taliban. Don’t understand why Pakistan has invested in them

it is. They will realise in coming times. I see a repeat of Lahore attack on some touring cricket team again.

These guys will never learn.

Some incomplete analysis. It's really religious extremism & terrorism, so let's call a spade a spade. Liberals, Communists, young, old and really everybody should stop being coward, and let's admit the reality and then only can it be dealt with.

The implications for India is huge. The breaking India forces is mainstream from 2019, with Khilafat 2.0 since the anti-CAA protests. After Afgan, Taliban and Pak can have one common enemy to target together. Pak has always been bed with Taliban in past, now, and future.