Siraj the red ball star!!

sandeep

57 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Have been away for a while, dealing with stuff. 

But what a day.

Very few of us here have been believers in Mohammed Siraj from the get go.  But today's victory does not happen without him.  @express bowling you know what I'm talking about.  Lot of folks trashed him for his 'IPL performances' without recognizing his red ball abilities.

Love the guy, warts and all.  

What a great win! Can't stop smiling.  

Am gonna pat my own, hairy freakkin back.  From the time he consistently dominated domestics and A-cricket several years ago, I've been telling everyone who would care to listen about this guy.  He's a national treasure. 

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

But what a day.

Very few of us here have been believers in Mohammed Siraj from the get go.  But today's victory does not happen without him.  @express bowling you know what I'm talking about.  Lot of folks trashed him for his 'IPL performances' without recognizing his red ball abilities.

Warts :phehe:

26 minutes ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Am gonna pat my own, hairy freakkin back.  From the time he consistently dominated domestics and A-cricket several years ago, I've been telling everyone who would care to listen about this guy.  He's a national treasure. 

I remember watching him bowl in an 'A' tour to Windies a few years back, 2018? I think? And it was clear that this was a guy with an instinct to attack.  Some bowlers may not be the best at what they do, but they just have a way to attack and get wickets. Siraj offers the potential to be that sort of strike bowler.  He may not be 150k, may not move the ball magically like Bhuvi, but he just has that instinct for wickets.  

Demonstrates quality of Ranji trophy these days and A tours; how often have you seen an Indian pacer come out of domestics and take to international scene like a fish to water. First Australia, now England, Siraj has made telling contributions. Shami and Bumrah adapted quickly to international test cricket also. 

2 hours ago, sandeep said:

But what a day.

No. Anyone who watched A tours should know he is a special talent. Not only him. Add prasidh too. 

He destroyed all top young players like even labushagne in A tours. 

I really hope he doesnt play odi and t 20 cricket. A really good bowler. Kohli is bad decision making cost us WTC. Siraj bowled well in india as well in tests got root with a good delivery.  How can a captain not remember that ? . Root was the best batsman in india tour as well.

28 minutes ago, nevada said:

Not picking him and Thakur for the WTC final was the biggest blunder ever. Siraj is a match winner in the longer format, he was wasted away in stupid T20s for years!

He should have debuted when he was in the squad and India was playing a test in Hyderabad.  I have so often seen Eng/Aus do this with their young rookie pace bowlers - they give them a test debut at their home ground - where they know the pitch and conditions so well.  I think we were playing Bangladesh? or someone else dont remember.  But he was ready, was in the squad, should have played then.  I remember ranting about it then on ICF.  Had to wait years more for his chance. I'm just so happy to see him not waste more years waiting for an opportunity.

3 minutes ago, sandeep said:

He should have debuted when he was in the squad and India was playing a test in Hyderabad.  I have so often seen Eng/Aus do this with their young rookie pace bowlers - they give them a test debut at their home ground - where they know the pitch and conditions so well.  I think we were playing Bangladesh? or someone else dont remember.  But he was ready, was in the squad, should have played then.  I remember ranting about it then on ICF.  Had to wait years more for his chance. I'm just so happy to see him not waste more years waiting for an opportunity.

Yeah, everyone was expecting Siraj to debut but Kohli stuck to his safe, seniority based selection and left him out. There are several such instances where before the match starts itself, fans are pissed off so much with the selection that they don't care if the match goes to hell in a hand basket. The WTC final is the most inexcusable omission ever!

39 minutes ago, adi B said:

I wanted him to break Anderson and bully him ,never mind he got out quickly but he'll have his chance again in the upcoming games.

I would pick for odi matches as well ,it's important we get a good new ball bowler in that format ,I don't like our current odi opening bowlers 

Bumtah is an ATG level talent for tests and t20. But for odi he is not that good imo. Overrated in odi unless someone pisses him off lmao. 

Siraj may be better choice. Not sure. 

BTW india haven't lost a single game when siraj gas played in tests. 

Incredible 

42 minutes ago, adi B said:

I wanted him to break Anderson and bully him ,never mind he got out quickly but he'll have his chance again in the upcoming games.

I would pick for odi matches as well ,it's important we get a good new ball bowler in that format ,I don't like our current odi opening bowlers 

To me, the most satisfying dismissal was that of Sam Curran! That annoying twat would have frustrated us with another defiant innings today and dragged it out to a draw! 

In 2018, playing for India A in Unofficial Test matches, Siraj picked 40 wickets from just 5 matches.  (  That's right .. 40 freaking wickets from just 5 matches @ 8 wickets per match ). Proving clearly that he knows how to take wickets at a competitive level in 4 day / 5 day matches.

After such amazing performances, why would anyone be made to warm the benches for 28 months  !!  And he was played in T20Is instead.

Learnings from this ....

1)  Debut young players with potential when they are in great form. Don't waste it.

2)  Play players in the correct format. 

3)  Use test series against weak teams to debut rookie quicks. Two experienced quicks and 1 rookie quick can be played even in home tests with Ashwin and Jaddu.

P.S .... Now we may end up delaying Prasidh Krishna's test debut. He could be the next big thing after Siraj.

Edited by express bowling