Question for those ever ready to P--- on IPL

jf1gp_1

18 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

the dumbed down gdp per capita example is not correct because a lot of small countries with very high per capita don't have much clout if at all. the nation's image is certainly a lot better now than even 20 yrs ago and in some ways it has reflected in the way the cricket board throws it's weight around as well

lol @ clout. We are still way behind US/China/Russia/Israel/UK/Nato in terms of clout or influence. so what changed exactly? please don't say we have more clout than pakistan as if thats some kind of achievement or benchmark

India's power in cricket world vs India is geo political world are not even close, Indian cricket practically rules cricket economy while Indian economy is 3.6 % of global econ. Nation's image has little to do with our current cricket power

6 minutes ago, jf1gp_1 said:

Please continue apologizing for cancellation of 5th test the true 'patriots' of this country

No one is apologizing here- true fans are disgusted at misplaced priorities and how private franchise cricket is eating into the pinnacle of international cricket.

yeah, but if you are the kind for whom a private franchise T20 tournament is more important than a lost opportunity for India to beat England in England after 14 years in a TEST series  - then you can watch the "real" cricket from 19th Sep.

Edited by rangeelaraja

19 minutes ago, Serpico said:

what is elitist about it bro? do you like the taste of the average movie and tv serial fan? Would you disagree with me if I say all the star plus soap operas and reality shows are crap?

I am not saying average fans always like sub par stuff, just that fan numbers alone shouldn't carry any weight while discussing merit of stuff

If you are a true fan of movies, you would not look down upon 'low standard' movies just because they do not match your taste.

Having said that, IPL is in no way a low quality product. As a package, it's absolutely the best in its product category. The level of competition has improved over the years and it will continue to do so in the years ahead.bDoes it have shortcomings - of course it has. Can the standard be improved further- absolutely. 

1 hour ago, Adamant said:

No No, the problem is that some people like you fail to grasp the idea that winning IPL adds ZERO trophy to India's cabinet it adds zero legacy and zero pride.

Its a tournament where 8 indian teams fight amongst each others, who the eff cares which team wins, how does Mi or Kkr winning effect India's standing in world cricket.

International cricket is Real Cricket and it will remain so.

Ipl is just a domestic tournament which happens every year and nobody outside India knows about who won it.

Instead of cancelling a test  due to ipl we could have won our first series in eng since 07, that actually would have been some achievement. 

Aur zyada deshbhakti dikhane ki zaroorat nahi hai, IPL support karne se bhagat singh nahi ban jaoge chomu. 

Winning pan bahar bilaterals are real thing

Test cricket between top3-4 is relevant,rest is sadly irrelevant

30 minutes ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

If you are a true fan of movies, you would not look down upon 'low standard' movies just because they do not match your taste.

Having said that, IPL is in no way a low quality product. As a package, it's absolutely the best in its product category. The level of competition has improved over the years and it will continue to do so in the years ahead.bDoes it have shortcomings - of course it has. Can the standard be improved further- absolutely. 

I’m sorry, IPL has no quality at all. May be you’ve short memory. The current IPL edition was pretty dull. 

If too International players don’t play in IPL, it’ll lose its remaining quality.

Off course for a CSK fan, the threshold of quality T20 is pretty low having been used those Dhoni trademark Chepauk low scoring matches… :phehe:

14 minutes ago, asterix said:

I’m sorry, IPL has no quality at all. May be you’ve short memory. The current IPL edition was pretty dull. 

If too International players don’t play in IPL, it’ll lose its remaining quality.

Off course for a CSK fan, the threshold of quality T20 is pretty low having been used those Dhoni trademark Chepauk low scoring matches… :phehe:

Some matches played in Chennai were dull. Go through some of the threads and my posts to know my views. BTW, in a tournament of 60+ matches, some matches will be of poor quality, that's a given. Upto you if you want to use those as your sample to run down the entire tournament.

Hilarious if you think I am a CSK fan. Nothing more to add.

1 hour ago, Serpico said:

lol @ clout. We are still way behind US/China/Russia/Israel/UK/Nato in terms of clout or influence. so what changed exactly? please don't say we have more clout than pakistan as if thats some kind of achievement or benchmark

India's power in cricket world vs India is geo political world are not even close, Indian cricket practically rules cricket economy while Indian economy is 3.6 % of global econ. Nation's image has little to do with our current cricket power

a subject for a different thread and time, it is more nuanced than casually throwing it around with the usual lazy platitudes in the middle of a discussion on cricket to lament about the nation and how it is perceptibly behind a few nations who have extremely strong entrenched lobbies in the corridors of power which makes such a like for like comparison moot at this juncture. It isn't true anyway esp about UK and Nato, one of who is a spent colonial power and like NATO depends chiefly on the US for it's foreign policy and perceived clout today. 

the cricket world is a small microcosm of the larger world out there but the increments since 4 decades or so are not without parallels. We had the padosis of all people thumbing their noses at us in cricket as recently as in the 90s. if the shoe was on the other foot we know what would have happened. 

Edited by rollingstoned

2 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

That is because they skipped the last test for IPL. Players cancelled the 5th test, took a chartered plane and flew to Dubai to quarantine for IPL :hysterical:

Imagine if a touring team in India says in the middle of a series - "You know what, chuck it...we dont want to play anymore and are going back". What would be our reaction? What would be BCCIs reaction for the loses it would suffer?

We can spin it anyway we want but the blame in this entire saga lies only with BCCI/Indian players.

You are conveniently excluding certain facts.

If the situation in home series v Eng was exactly same,I wouldn't blame England for leaving even if they had Hundred tournament close by.

25 minutes ago, rollingstoned said:

subject for a different thread and time, it is more nuanced than casually throwing it around with the usual lazy platitudes in the middle of a discussion on cricket to lament about the nation and how it is perceptibly behind a few nations who have extremely strong entrenched lobbies in the corridors of power which makes such a like for like comparison moot at this juncture

I'm not the one who brought that topic here. I simply explained the reality, there are no platitudes in my post

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

Some matches played in Chennai were dull. Go through some of the threads and my posts to know my views. BTW, in a tournament of 60+ matches, some matches will be of poor quality, that's a given. Upto you if you want to use those as your sample to run down the entire tournament.

Hilarious if you think I am a CSK fan. Nothing more to add.

Pray tell me which team fan are you? Let me guess :rcb: fan having soft corner for Dhoni…

I statement still fits on you… :giggle:

Edited by asterix

9 hours ago, sarchasm said:

A lot of Indians - of a certain variety - have not come to terms with the fact that IPL is the most valued product in Indian cricket (and in world cricket by extension). Their SENA-MENA tests delusion will take a while to wear off. This is the reason you come to this supposedly Indian forum and read posts by mods/admins wishing for IPL's cancellation and you double check if you are on a pawki forum.

That is the biggest desi problem. They have a successful product and they want to eliminate it. Morons.

To me Test Cricket is a modern form of colonialism. Brits were plundering, looting and raping and they had the brown man do his dirty work so he could play for 5 days. Fuc&*ng five days. This is a new century and no one has time for that crap. IPL is the best and purest form of cricet. Test Cricket is like a government organisation that cannot sustain itself and needs handouts to survive.

5 minutes ago, Khota said:

To me Test Cricket is a modern form of colonialism. Brits were plundering, looting and raping and they had the brown man do his dirty work so he could play for 5 days. Fuc&*ng five days. This is a new century and no one has time for that crap. IPL is the best and purest form of cricet. Test Cricket is like a government organisation that cannot sustain itself and needs handouts to survive.

oh dear.

1 hour ago, asterix said:

Pray tell me which team fan are you? Let me guess :rcb: fan having soft corner for Dhoni…

I statement still fits on you… :giggle:

Nopes, don't support any particular team. But a general IPL fan to see Indian youngsters flourish.

Two teams I do slightly dislike are RCB and CSK, CSK for being the grandpa's army and RCB for complete disregard to performance :laugh:

7 hours ago, Serpico said:

Is the situation really that different from 90s? Indian cricket became richer and powerful but India is still pretty irrelevant in world stage. Not sure if you're implying that India is a developed country now or most people don't have to worry about basic necessities anymore

Relative to the old days.

India might not have the clout of a US or China but it is way more powerful than countries like Canada, Australia, Spain, Italy etc geopolitically. On par with a France or UK.

Indians are winning multiple Olympic medals, have loads of unicorns and companies, a sizeable middle class etc etc.

We are in the same place the Chinese were in the mid 2000s

5 hours ago, Adamant said:

No No, the problem is that some people like you fail to grasp the idea that winning IPL adds ZERO trophy to India's cabinet it adds zero legacy and zero pride.

Its a tournament where 8 indian teams fight amongst each others, who the eff cares which team wins, how does Mi or Kkr winning effect India's standing in world cricket.

International cricket is Real Cricket and it will remain so.

Ipl is just a domestic tournament which happens every year and nobody outside India knows about who won it.

Instead of cancelling a test  due to ipl we could have won our first series in eng since 07, that actually would have been some achievement. 

Aur zyada deshbhakti dikhane ki zaroorat nahi hai, IPL support karne se bhagat singh nahi ban jaoge chomu. 

According to whom?

Most Americans consider the NBA more prestigious than Basketball World Cups.

The day more Indians consider the IPL more important and IPL absolutely dwarfs international cricket (on the way towards that) IPL will become real cricket

Nothing is static. India is well on it's way to become to cricket what US is to basketball and baseball.

4 hours ago, rollingstoned said:

It isn't any jumla, change and progress has been slow but for those who don't want to keep spouting the same tired old cliches it's quite palpable and evident.

the dumbed down gdp per capita example is not correct because a lot of small countries with very high per capita don't have much clout if at all. the nation's image is certainly a lot better now than even 20 yrs ago and in some ways it has reflected in the way the cricket board throws it's weight around as well. 

Note that change and progress is everywhere even in Africa. 

There is a lot of work that needs to be done in India (don’t want to write an essay here). Cricket should not be a priority.