Coaching Watch: Rahul Dravid.

sandeep

Still early days..but Dravid kind of gives us the feeling that we have gone back to the 90s where the mindset was to ensure against a loss and then go for the win

Something which the Kohli/Shastri combination was never known for.

But we need to wait and see what is Dravids vision for the Indian Team...Untill then, all we can do is Wait and watch!!

Just now, putrevus said:

But but according to some geniuses , India wins despite Kohli. I even read some genius  was saying Rahane needs to be the captain so he could just win tosses.

Kohli is good in Tests but still too powerful until recently. Shastri was a yes man. Dravid most likely won't be.

So some knives are already out for the much hyped consensus pick for Indian coach.  

For me, its difficult to blame the coach when the batting doesn't put up the required runs in the 1st innings.  So I'll hold off for now.  

For me, the 'evaluation' of Dravid as coach rests more on the borderline decisions he makes - how does the team handle Rahane & Pujara's decline?  How does he handle the 'keeping question now that Saha isn't 100% fit?  What does he do with the openers given the options we have?  

Can he make the hard calls when push comes to shove, or will he succumb and bend the knee to the 'fairness' theory? 

1 minute ago, sandeep said:

So some knives are already out for the much hyped consensus pick for Indian coach.  

For me, its difficult to blame the coach when the batting doesn't put up the required runs in the 1st innings.  So I'll hold off for now.  

For me, the 'evaluation' of Dravid as coach rests more on the borderline decisions he makes - how does the team handle Rahane & Pujara's decline?  How does he handle the 'keeping question now that Saha isn't 100% fit?  What does he do with the openers given the options we have?  

Can he make the hard calls when push comes to shove, or will he succumb and bend the knee to the 'fairness' theory? 

But these are not his calls to make. He'll ofcourse part of the group and will give suggestions but buck stops with Kohli. We have no way to know if Dravid actually wants Rahane to stay,for example.Ofcourse he can influence selections if he absolutely puts his foot down,but we already know he's not that kind of guy.

To me his test will to improve young players games and bring best out of everyone.The transition has to be smooth.

21 minutes ago, Lord said:

But these are not his calls to make. He'll ofcourse part of the group and will give suggestions but buck stops with Kohli. We have no way to know if Dravid actually wants Rahane to stay,for example.Ofcourse he can influence selections if he absolutely puts his foot down,but we already know he's not that kind of guy.

To me his test will to improve young players games and bring best out of everyone.The transition has to be smooth.

Not claiming they are 'his' calls, but he has input.  We all know what Kuptaan Wrogn's decision patterns are.  Dravid would obviously be credited/blamed for any deviations from that template.

On 11/29/2021 at 8:53 PM, The Realist said:

Dravid is shaping up to be the Indian version of Solksjaer.

Nice guy, only selected as coach cause due to playing record, but now out of his depth and easily bullied by seniors. 

India = Manchester United?

On 11/30/2021 at 12:08 AM, New guy said:

Not worried about Ajinkya Rahane's form but you would like him to score more runs - Dravid.

Can he do a greg chappell weilding dictatorial powers in his first test as coach and that too with the test captain? I think dropping Rahane is in the hands of selectors and Kohli rather than Dravid

It's early days and we cannot form any definitive opinion. 

But one thing must be said that he has had 3 new captains who do not have that much influence yet. (  Dhawan, Rohit, Rahane )  So, many of the selections must have been his choice. (  With powerful captains like Kohli and Dhoni, most decisions could be theirs ).

Two worrisome things till now.

1.  In all 3 series  (  SL tour,  NZ T20Is and NZ Test match 1 ) ... he has shown preference for lots of medium pacers.

2.  Seniors have got selected ahead of younger players even if their current form and ability have declined. 

I don't like these aspects at all.

I hope this is just being non-intrusive during his early days and he will take stronger decisions as he settles in.

So far he has not done anything wrong or anything right.He is just feeling his way and it will take sometime before we see his impact. He did try things when he was captain like playing with five bowlers in tests and improving odi chasing record .But he never came across a guy who could put his neck out and fight his distractors.

Edited by putrevus