"Don't Look Up" is the funniest thing on Netflix right now

EnterTheVoid

15 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Give it a watch. It's hilarious :hysterical:

I found this one funnier, and it's on a similar topic (US politics, vote banks and some of the news cycle) in the pre trump era. The Will Ferrell character is a total riot with good support from Zach & Dylan.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1790886/

Edited by Clarke

The movie has a hidden message about global warming. The temp of our planet rose 4 deg c during ice age and it melted the ice and now we are seeing similar temp rise. US is still leading producer of co2 it is the inaction which is similar to global warming. The movie is portraying how US is not doing much to improve.

2 hours ago, Clarke said:

I found this one funnier, and it's on a similar topic (US politics, vote banks and some of the news cycle) in the pre trump era. The Will Ferrell character is a total riot with good support from Zach & Dylan.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1790886/

Every scientist out there probably relates to the frustrations of Leo De Caprio's character. 

He stole the show for me :hatsoff:

Ron Pearlman shooting at the asteroid shouting "You can't take my freeeeeedom" or some nonsense to that effect had me in splits :hysterical:

Reminds me of all the idiots during COVID who complained their freedoms were infringed. Because they had to wear a mask. Or because they couldn't get their hair done. 

Edited by EnterTheVoid

18 hours ago, EnterTheVoid said:

What didn't you like about it?

As others pointed, not as funny as other movies of the same parody genre like Life of Brian or Campaign etc. Unless you like the politics of these stars like LdeC, Meryl Streep and other H lib preachers, the movie comes out as patronizing to its audiences 

Edited by coffee_rules

3 hours ago, sandeep said:

Was watching it, but fell asleep halfway.  Granted, I was exhausted plus jetlag, so there's that.  Kind of felt like a good joke that should have finished in 2 minutes but stretched into an hour.  

I thought it was rather one-note as well, and tended to be rather smug about its own "enlightened" outlook at times. I liked it, but can't say that I would rate it highly.

The last couple of years have been so bizarre, I've forgotten what "normal" looks like. First, there were the bush fires. Than COVID.

Each time, we don't listen to the scientists. We listen to idiot talk show hosts, we spread stupid memes that underline the message.

Every time there is some calamity, one camp believes it, one camp denies it (conspiracy theorists), one camp tries to profit from it some way.

There is this one really sad/funny scene: When Leo tries to warn of the incoming asteroid, one of the chamchas goes "this one needs media training" :((

Edited by EnterTheVoid

Most hollywood/netflix movies are not that funny at all if you look at what they promote. Maybe some immature guy finds them funny and it is marketed to dumb people and is one of the causes to dumb down the masses. They also mock the "peasants" as unscientific if they don't go by the movies' agenda. why would you even watch them or pay your hard earned money to watch them laugh at you.

Most people in Europe don't find american movies funny at all. You see many people from Europe find it fascinating that americans will laugh at anything. Indians are no better because we consume american entertainment either directly or their copycatted ones in "bollywood". I read reviews on this very thread about this movie and it proved my conviction. global warming promotion in movies are never funny. asteroid hitting earth and scientist blah blah is so 90s. NOT FUNNY!!!

On 1/4/2022 at 3:51 PM, coffee_rules said:

As others pointed, not as funny as other movies of the same parody genre like Life of Brian or Campaign etc. Unless you like the politics of these stars like LdeC, Meryl Streep and other H lib preachers, the movie comes out as patronizing to its audiences 

I don't follow American politics. 

I don't follow American politicians. 

You take any pressing issue the world is facing today and it's the same story. 

Ignore the science. Undermine the scientists. Make enough distracting noise and hope the problem goes away.

28 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Pretty poor movie given the cast. Really good satire movies are Thank you for smoking and Wag the Dog.

Really? I thought those two were very average :dontknow:

The movie had a stellar cast. But all the roles were dumbed down. They had to be, I think. The point they were trying to get across is that dumb people stopped at no lengths undermine the scientists (Leo/Jennifer Lawrence) until it was too late. 

Kate Blanchett nailed the role of the annoying morning TV show host. You know, the ones that are happy about everything :hahaha: