Thank you Test Captain Virat Kohli

sandeep

regardless of what one may think of kohli's captaincy, one thing is for certain: India's golden period of test cricket unfolded under him. Under Dravid, new selectors, and TM, we are: (1) relying too much on bunsens at home, (2) boosting support for trundlers, (3) continuously selecting over-the-hill players (purane, ishant), (4) failing to nurture next-gen pacers and spinners, and the list goes on. I have a feeling that the Golden Age has come to an end, and we will now enter the Silver Age, and so on.

even as a harsh critic of Kohli, I can say that the 5-bowler approach was the right one for most pitches and showing more intent and passion also proved to valuable most times (although there are times like 3rd test when some people overdid it).

1 hour ago, mishra said:

It is very easy to see, did he leave Team India as better team then when he became captain. Answer is emphatic Yes! 

But its also a known fact that Indian Domestic cricket has come a long way in past decade and Indian team is bound to get benefitted.

Absolutely... No doubt Kohli came with the determination to win everything under the sun and backed fast bowlers to deliver irrespective of conditions but he had the headwinds from domestic cricket for him to do that.

As for 5 bowlers theory, it's not new... and Kohli himself played many series with only 4 in his initial years. 

If he gets the credit for developing our fast bowlers group, he should also take the blame for lack of alternative batsmen or spinners

5 hours ago, goose said:

sticking his head above the parapet. i like that.

That's one thing - but just in general - very good head on his shoulders.  Listen to him talk about his bowling, or his mindset etc.  He's just a solid dude.  I want him to captain India tbh.  And I have said it close to a year ago.  

8 minutes ago, sandeep said:

That's one thing - but just in general - very good head on his shoulders.  Listen to him talk about his bowling, or his mindset etc.  He's just a solid dude.  I want him to captain India tbh.  And I have said it close to a year ago.  

He is a solid and thoughtful individual, that is certainly valid.. I wonder if it's a good idea to burden him with captaincy. I feel he hasn't been at the same bowling level since his return from injury (even this series, the amount of pace/bounce he got was lowered). Adding captaincy could be an extra burden. Of course, Pat Cummins has done well, but being Ind captain has more challenges in my opinion.

5 hours ago, sandeep said:

He's a lot like Cummins temperament wise, mature and grounded.

I wish he continued as test captain...he still has it in him to continue as test captain...

I think ashwin or bumrah will make a good captain...

But..it is such a shame that batsmen has to be a captain....KL Rahul will make such a lousy captain

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Vijy said:

He is a solid and thoughtful individual, that is certainly valid.. I wonder if it's a good idea to burden him with captaincy. I feel he hasn't been at the same bowling level since his return from injury (even this series, the amount of pace/bounce he got was lowered). Adding captaincy could be an extra burden. Of course, Pat Cummins has done well, but being Ind captain has more challenges in my opinion.

Burden is a concern yes, but my point is that leadership and captaincy are more about character and mental strength than anything else.  Boom has those qualities in spades. 

The other point is that I do not like this unofficial myth that bowlers are a 'radical' choice for captaincy while batsmen are the obvious ones.  I think bowlers do not get enough respect and credit in Indian cricket - overall.  And looking at the prospective candidates in the 'next' crop beyond Rohit, there is absolutely no reason why Boom wouldn't be on the shortlist of candidate - apart from mental biases against bowlers becoming captain.

Btw, just to repeat, I have been talking about wanting to see Boom lead India well before Paine's sexting scandal let to Cummin's captaincy in Aus.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

Burden is a concern yes, but my point is that leadership and captaincy are more about character and mental strength than anything else.  Boom has those qualities in spades. 

The other point is that I do not like this unofficial myth that bowlers are a 'radical' choice for captaincy while batsmen are the obvious ones.  I think bowlers do not get enough respect and credit in Indian cricket - overall.  And looking at the prospective candidates in the 'next' crop beyond Rohit, there is absolutely no reason why Boom wouldn't be on the shortlist of candidate - apart from mental biases against bowlers becoming captain.

Btw, just to repeat, I have been talking about wanting to see Boom lead India well before Paine's sexting scandal let to Cummin's captaincy in Aus.  

yes, I agree. he could be tried out, and if the burden/load is too much, someone else can be considered