Ravindra Jadeja vs Kapil Dev in Tests

And here we are into a comparison thread. Had this thread been made five or even three years ago, people would have laughed off citing that this is an insult to the great Kapil Dev who bowled like a workhorse and took over 400 wickets and scored over 5000 runs. But this is no longer a case now.

Ravindra Jadeja just scored a magnificent 175* and is currently averaging 36 in Tests with over 2300 runs in 58 tests and over 230 test wickets. Yes, the conditions have been helpful for spinners in India but he has done a pretty fine job as all rounder overseas too. At home, he has been a beast at different level.

Let's get the stats around straightaway and start the discussion.

Ravindra Jadeja 2300 runs, AVG 36

232 wickets, AVG 24

Kapil Dev 5400 runs, AVG 31

434 wickets, AVG 29

DIscuss!

Kapil will always remain special for Indians coz a player like him is so rare in India ( & even world wide). He was a Pollard and a Malinga rolled into one, excellent fielder too. An inspiring WC winning captain. :hatsoff:

Jadeja is criminally underrated on this forum. Even padosi forums rate him more than ICF! Some people here are still stuck in 2010. Jadeja is surely our 2nd best test AR and will go down as an India legend atleast. 

Edited by AuxiliA

Kapil is overrated as a bowler just because he was the first "fast" bowler India had and probably the only one in his time. But his batting is underrated here. He scored a run a ball 80 in an ODI game against WI in WI in the 80s. That WI lineup had patterson and other windies stars of that time and there were more bouncers allowed in the 80s. THat's no mean feat I tell you. Just the sight of Ambrose will make any batsman sh1t their pants :fear:Jaddu will be bounced out in no time. He is not scoring 100s against that lineup. SL has a weak bowling attack and one of the bowlers is missing. Jaddu is underrated with his bowling though. Comparison of players of different eras is a futile effort. But if you must ask, Kapil is a better batter and Jaddu a better bowler.

Kapil dev .It's not even debatable tbh .

Kapil took his first 300 wkts @25/26 if I am correct ,then later declined totally as a bowler. 

That's an outstanding achievement for an indian fast bowler.

He performed In most of the countries and not a HTB 

9 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Kapil is overrated as a bowler just because he was the first "fast" bowler India had and probably the only one in his time. But his batting is underrated here. He scored a run a ball 80 in an ODI game against WI in WI in the 80s. That WI lineup had patterson and other windies stars of that time and there were more bouncers allowed in the 80s. THat's no mean feat I tell you. Just the sight of Ambrose will make any batsman sh1t their pants :fear:Jaddu will be bounced out in no time. He is not scoring 100s against that lineup. SL has a weak bowling attack and one of the bowlers is missing. Jaddu is underrated with his bowling though. Comparison of players of different eras is a futile effort. But if you must ask, Kapil is a better batter and Jaddu a better bowler.

Jaddu is not a better bowler than Kapil. We saw what Jaddu did with lack of support and as a lone spinner in England.

Jaddu's strength is his consistency with bat which Kapil didn't had. He gives stability to a team while Kapil was more of someone you admire one day with bat but on more days, you would feel disheartened with the way he got out.

It is batting where this comparison makes it closer but in bowling, we have to give it to Kapil comfortably.

29 minutes ago, Virat_Kulli_ki_main_khuli said:

Did not expect Jadeja and Ashwin's to be all the way down there compared to  other spinners in SENA : r/Cricket

ashwin is an average bowler, but he is a fine all rounder in tests, nothing on him but jadeja a bit and pieces 'keep it tight' bowler is just laughable to put in comparision.

Go ask yourself how many times Jadeja has bowled in India vs Everywhere else

Also a poor odi career is also not doing any favours in his merit overall

Where have you got those stats from? Cricinfo reveals a completely different story. Here is the performance of all Asian spinners in SENA. 

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?bowling_pacespin=2;class=1;filter=advanced;home_or_away=2;host=1;host=2;host=3;host=5;orderby=bowling_average;orderbyad=reverse;qualmin1=10;qualval1=wickets;team=25;team=6;team=7;team=8;template=results;type=bowling

Notable bowling averages in SENA:

Yasir Shah -  55.08

Abdul Qadir -  49.04

R Herath -  42.75

Ashwin -   41.04

Harbhajan-  39.93

S Ajmal -   39.18

Kaneria -   38.86

Jadeja -    36.42

Jadeja also averages a handy 28 with the bat in SENA and is a great fielder, in addition to being a better baller in SENA than the likes of above stated bowlers. 

You guys have just named a trophy after a spinner(who couldn't even bat) averaging almost 50! in SENA and you have the gall to diss Jadeja. Kuch to sharam karo! 

Edited by AuxiliA
2 hours ago, Majestic said:

Jaddu is not a better bowler than Kapil. We saw what Jaddu did with lack of support and as a lone spinner in England.

Jaddu's strength is his consistency with bat which Kapil didn't had. He gives stability to a team while Kapil was more of someone you admire one day with bat but on more days, you would feel disheartened with the way he got out.

It is batting where this comparison makes it closer but in bowling, we have to give it to Kapil comfortably.

How much do you think Jaddu will score against Patterson and co. Oh he will be consistent alright. He will be consistently poor :phehe:

2 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Both Ashwin and Jadeja have benefitted from poor batsmen against spin in this decade.

That's a subjective argument. 

Pacers in the past have benefited a lot cause of blatant ball tampering, poor batting and safety equipments, lack of bowling action analysis, etc. Those are objective arguments.

Yet I have hardly heard anyone question past pacers about their stat-padded records. 

17 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

How much do you think Jaddu will score against Patterson and co. Oh he will be consistent alright. He will be consistently poor :phehe:

That's part of our discussion between Jadeja and Kapil. However, I don't think we can come to a conclusion that Jaddu is a better bowler than Kapil.

14 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

That's a subjective argument. 

Pacers in the past have benefited a lot cause of blatant ball tampering, poor batting and safety equipments, lack of bowling action analysis, etc. Those are objective arguments.

Yet I have hardly heard anyone question past pacers about their stat-padded records. 

Superb post !

3 hours ago, AuxiliA said:

Kapil will always remain special for Indians coz a player like him is so rare in India ( & even world wide). He was a Pollard and a Malinga rolled into one, excellent fielder too. An inspiring WC winning captain. :hatsoff:

Jadeja is criminally underrated on this forum. Even padosi forums rate him more than ICF! Some people here are still stuck in 2010. Jadeja is surely our 2nd best test AR and will go down as an India legend atleast. 

lol That is because of his mixed career. For very long it was well known , Dhoni was the one who kept him relevant.  Many even despised Dhoni for that rightly so. Only in the last few years he has course corrected. He is not the first guy who has done that. Rohit sharma made less runs than extras during one of the SL tour. He was butt of jokes for a long time before turning it arond. So was Ishant sharma. May be they are more comfortable against current generation of players.Whatever it is i am glad they managed to turn it around.

3 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

lol That is because of his mixed career. For very long it was well known , Dhoni was the one who kept him relevant.  Many even despised Dhoni for that rightly so. Only in the last few years he has course corrected. He is not the first guy who has done that. Rohit sharma made less runs than extras during one of the SL tour. He was butt of jokes for a long time before turning it arond. So was Ishant sharma. May be they are more comfortable against current generation of players.Whatever it is i am glad they managed to turn it around.

I completely understand the criticism of Jadeja in the first half of his career. Even I was one of his big critics and wanted him out. 

My opinion about him started to change from 2016(in tests) and I was convinced after the 2019 WC. Only opinionated or blind people cannot see what he brings to the table in 2022.

1 minute ago, AuxiliA said:

I completely understand the criticism of Jadeja in the first half of his career. Even I was one of his big critics and wanted him out. 

My opinion about him started to change from 2016(in tests) and I was convinced after the 2019 WC. Only opinionated or blind people cannot see what he brings to the table in 2022.

He has been the sole guy providing the balance since the career of Pandu didn't last, and Ashwin's batting form went to dogs until Thakur joined us. Not sure how long he will play tests. But he should try to stay injury free to finish and his Test career well. 

2 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

He has been the sole guy providing the balance since the career of Pandu didn't last, and Ashwin's batting form went to dogs until Thakur joined us. Not sure how long he will play tests. But he should try to stay injury free to finish and his Test career well. 

Exactly! I don't understand why and how people judge his batting and bowling only in isolation and not as a combo. Can Rohit bowl or can Bumrah bat?

Jadeja's critics set the benchmark too high for him. They don't consider how vital he is for the balance of the team right now across formats. Also he is in prime form and performs even after coming from a long break. 

44 minutes ago, Majestic said:

That's part of our discussion between Jadeja and Kapil. However, I don't think we can come to a conclusion that Jaddu is a better bowler than Kapil.

I don't see a discussion here. Anyway congrats for coming to the conclusion that Jaddu is a better bat than Kapil lol. I want out of this "discussion"