Conway reveals Dhoni's helping hand in success against spinners

vvvslaxman

Conway reveals Dhoni's helping hand in success against spinners (espncricinfo.com)

"He said to me, 'I think the guys are going to try to bowl fuller to you tonight, so come out and hit them straight,'"

:phehe: I think it is in the CSK contract  

Clause A

You should give credit to Mahendra singh Dhoni every now and then.

8 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Conway reveals Dhoni's helping hand in success against spinners (espncricinfo.com)

"He said to me, 'I think the guys are going to try to bowl fuller to you tonight, so come out and hit them straight,'"

:phehe: I think it is in the CSK contract  

Clause A

You should give credit to Mahendra singh Dhoni every now and then.

Means Thala is "definitely not"leaving

Don't get the general cynicism in this thread.

A junior player is showing gratitude to help and advice from a great of the game. What is so off putting?

Dhoni has won the WC on home soil and also 3/4 IPLs. He knows a thing or two about spin bowling in Indian conditions and how to successfully counter it.

Must we be sceptical about everything?

On 5/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, Mariyam said:

A junior player is showing gratitude to help and advice from a great of the game. What is so off putting?

Dhoni has won the WC on home soil and also 3/4 IPLs. He knows a thing or two about spin bowling in Indian conditions and how to successfully counter it.

Girl, you high.

But, I agree.

On 5/9/2022 at 12:22 PM, Mariyam said:

The same thread is the other forum (Cricket Talk) and I jumped in with cynical comments.  After reading this, I need to temper my view. 

Taken alone, Conway's remarks are understandable. 

But the excuse for my cynicism is that, over the years, we have seen rampant sycophancy in Indian cricket.  It is difficult to isolate Conway from that context.

11 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

The same thread is the other forum (Cricket Talk) and I jumped in with cynical comments.  After reading this, I need to temper my view. 

But the excuse for my cynicism is that, over the years, we have seen rampant sycophancy in Indian cricket.  It is difficult to isolate Conway from that context.

One such specimen:

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/if-ms-dhoni-asks-i-will-jump-off-24-storey-building-ishant-sharma-271467/amp/

On 5/12/2022 at 6:26 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Begs the question: why would Conway want to curry favours? No spot in the Indian team on the line for him. 

In general, there is a tendency to seek help at the work place. Ask a senior. Take the opinion of a senior counsel before you decide. Its not that rare. In Indian workplaces at least. Its a way to mitigate risks and outsource the real work ie Decision Making. 

That said, I see your general point.

5 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Begs the question: why would Conway want to curry favours? No spot in the Indian team on the line for him

In general, there is a tendency to seek help at the work place. Ask a senior. Take the opinion of a senior counsel before you decide. Its not that rare. In Indian workplaces at least. Its a way to mitigate risks and outsource the real work ie Decision Making. 

What does that have to do with Dhoni?

IPL moolah always helps and CSK is a high profile franchise

7 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Begs the question: why would Conway want to curry favours? No spot in the Indian team on the line for him. 

True, but it's always the same influential seniors - Sachin Paaji or Thala :-).  

There are, of course, 3 possibilities:

(1) Sachin and Dhoni are extremely wise and perceptive, and have much more good advice to give than anyone else.

(2) Juniors get advice from multiple seniors, but tend to value/listen more to Sachin and Dhoni's advice because those two guys have achieved so much and their words just carry more weight.

(3) My original cynical view - fawning over the greats.

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

On 5/14/2022 at 6:45 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

True, but it's always the same influential seniors - Sachin Paaji or Thala :-).  

There are, of course, 3 possibilities:

(1) Sachin and Dhoni are extremely wise and perceptive, and have much more good advice to give than anyone else.

(2) Juniors get advice from multiple seniors, but tend to value/listen more to Sachin and Dhoni's advice because those two guys have achieved so much and their words just carry more weight.

(3) My original cynical view - fawning over the greats.

I would say it is mostly no. 3 and then no. 2; not really much of no. 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:32 AM, Mariyam said:

Conway would prefer to have continued employment with CSK... and IPL generally to make his moolah. If it means to butt lick the one senior player who IPL brand value revolves around then why not. If Dhoni can ask people to be selected in the India test team then he sure can hell decide who plays for CSK