Jump to content
zen

Pant, the most backed "youngster", needs time off too to take his game to the next level!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BacktoCricaddict said:

Sometimes, backing a player means giving them a chance to rest, reset and improve.

that wud work for someone like kohli who has had an exhaustion of years of international n captaincy pressure

Pant is just going through a bad habbit , playing is only way to improve.  every youngster will go through cant rest them after few series n play musical chairs which kohli-shastri did. 

Sometimes its important to fail improve which is what is happening with him n has happened with top players,

Link to comment
3 hours ago, express bowling said:

Something is not working for him now, as a T20 batsman.

 

Could be an issue with his frame of mind too and how he is planning his innings in this format.

 

Should take a break from this format for some time ... and come back fresh.

 

 

FVdjcygaIAAFdmk?format=jpg&name=large

 

Its just this 

 

  • Player does well
  • Teams find a weakness of him , he gets tested for a while. This targetting at wide line has been done to most power players in world - dhoni, pollard, russell, recently hardik which led his awkward stance 
  • Then he improves. 

Mindset, balance, weight its nothing. This has happened to every player............after a point in international every team will find ur uncomfertable areas. 

Link to comment

He comes and attacks . It’s better than tuk tuk shreyas or tuk tuk kohli . He bats in all positions . He keeps very well . He has hundreds in uk aussie South Africa 

 

you want the maverick in your team . His 10 ball 15 with the aggression is akin to sehwags cameos . He fits in with pandya karthick and jadeja as our no 4-7 batters . 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, express bowling said:

Something is not working for him now, as a T20 batsman.

 

Could be an issue with his frame of mind too and how he is planning his innings in this format.

 

Should take a break from this format for some time ... and come back fresh.

 

 

 

He is over-rated in this format. Just wildly swinging the bat should definitely not be a criteria. We are fooling ourselves if we think chasing wide ball is the only issue he has. He has multiple issues. Without feet movement closing the bat finding the leading edge, Forget about his dismissals mode of dismissals. Even after so many wild slogs his strike rate turned out to be the worst in this series. Because half the time he doesn't even connect the ball. He doesn't have the ability to make late adjustment as his only way is kitchen sink.  If he wants to copy another power player Raina is the perfect example. He was also a kitchen sink batsman. But only when the ball is not in his zone. But when the ball in his zone he focuses more on timing and placement. He doesn't overhit. With Pant everything is kitchen sink. Please don't tell me that is a good approach. That is gully cricket Afridi style cricket.   One of the quintessential aspect of a power player is balance. Just look at Buttler or even Gilchrist, Jayasuriya, Sehwag, Gayle from the past. The balance is the key. Without balance you are not going to be a successful power player. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

FVdjcygaIAAFdmk?format=jpg&name=large

 

Its just this 

 

  • Player does well
  • Teams find a weakness of him , he gets tested for a while. This targetting at wide line has been done to most power players in world - dhoni, pollard, russell, recently hardik which led his awkward stance 
  • Then he improves. 

Mindset, balance, weight its nothing. This has happened to every player............after a point in international every team will find ur uncomfertable areas. 

 

 

All that's ok, and good players will find a way around these plans against them.

 

But Pant has been playing all formats non-stop for a long time.

 

How will he get time to work on his counter plans against these plans and how will he stay mentally fresh if he is  not given a break !!

Link to comment

Lol I haven't seen an ugly player than Pant when he try to be aggresive. His most  aggresive shots are either one handed especially when he come out of the crease ,or, on off stump he is completely dud. On contast to his limited over game,his test cricket game is totally different where he rely on timing or places around for boundaries or singles as he doesn't needs to be aggresive from word go. He completely go off Ballance while he try to be aggresive either he has to sort this out or he will be limited to test and odi cricket where he gets time to settle down. He has no weakness against any bowling as long as he play on merit but when he try to throw kitchen sink that's where he looks like a hack and its happening from quite sometime in T20. Probably he should take a break and work on his power hitting required for t20 games.

Edited by raki05
Link to comment
2 hours ago, raki05 said:

Lol I haven't seen an ugly player than Pant when he try to be aggresive. His most  aggresive shots are either one handed especially when he come out of the crease and on off stump he is completely dud.on contast to his limited over game his test cricket game is totally different where he rely on timing or places around for boundaries or singles as he doesn't needs to be aggresive from word go. He completely go off Ballance while he try to be aggresive in loi either he has to sort this out or he will be limited to test and odi cricket where he gets time to settle down. He has no weakness against any bowling as long as he play on merit but when he try to throw kitchen sink that's where he looks like a hack and it's happen quite frequently in T20. Probably he should take a break and work on his power hitting required for t20 games.

Yeah he is so ugly in general, LHBs are usually aesthetically pleasing. Not our motu. 

Link to comment

They are asking him to play a different role. Pant is an opener in shorter formats.He cannot rotate strike in the middle order.Opening gives him open space during power play.Make him an opener you will get a dynamic power hitter who will give your team a fast start every time.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

They are asking him to play a different role. Pant is an opener in shorter formats.He cannot rotate strike in the middle order.Opening gives him open space during power play.Make him an opener you will get a dynamic power hitter who will give your team a fast start every time.

 

Dravid made him open in one game and people said Pant is a power hitter and opening requires someone with more timing and finesse. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, bowl_out said:

 

Dravid made him open in one game and people said Pant is a power hitter and opening requires someone with more timing and finesse. 

How can you base any decision based on one game.Pant goes for leather from ball one. In t20s or odis now you need players who can play their shots.He has proven that he is good enough to handle any kind of bowling in test cricket. So quality of Pant as batsman is not in question. They forced Pant to become a finisher.

 

Who said opening requires timing and finesse.

 

I would take Pant over Ishan Kishan as an opener in shorter formats any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, putrevus said:

How can you base any decision based on one game.Pant goes for leather from ball one. In t20s or odis now you need players who can play their shots.He has proven that he is good enough to handle any kind of bowling in test cricket. So quality of Pant as batsman is not in question. They forced Pant to become a finisher.

 

Who said opening requires timing and finesse.

 

I would take Pant over Ishan Kishan as an opener in shorter formats any day of the week and twice on sundays.

 

I am not saying a decision can be made in one game.. I am only stating what many in this forum and the so-called cricketing experts said back then when it happened.. 

That said, if Pant is keen on trying to open the innings, he could have done that with Delhi Capitals where he is captain.. He should have enough say in proceedings to at least test out the idea for a couple of games, but he hasn't done that in 2 seasons.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, bowl_out said:

 

I am not saying a decision can be made in one game.. I am only stating what many in this forum and the so-called cricketing experts said back then when it happened.. 

That said, if Pant is keen on trying to open the innings, he could have done that with Delhi Capitals where he is captain.. He should have enough say in proceedings to at least test out the idea for a couple of games, but he hasn't done that in 2 seasons.

You are right. he should have opened the innings with his IPL team. Not everybody is Dhoni, who was very clear in what he wanted to do as a player. 

Link to comment
15 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

FWP-JOiXgAAlvp6?format=png&name=small

 

hmmmm

 

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

ABD didn't ended with great figures either in T20Is. All his T20 legacy is down to IPL. Pant is going the same way in T20Is.


ABDV made his debut in 2006 so many of his innings would be played when scores of 140-160 were competitive. And his last T20 international was in 2017,  which is almost 5 years ago. Need to factor in period as well.

Edited by zen
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, zen said:

 


ABDV made his debut in 2006 so many of his innings would be played when scores of 140-160 were competitive. Need to factor in period as well.

It is still pretty low for his standards. He clearly underachieved in that format. What one can argue could be that as youngster, he would be trying to make a bigger impact in tests and ODIs and didn't took T20s as seriously. Back in late 2000s, T20s was not really as widespread as it is now. 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It is still pretty low for his standards. He clearly underachieved in that format. What one can argue could be that as youngster, he would be trying to make a bigger impact in tests and ODIs and didn't took T20s as seriously. Back in late 2000s, T20s was not really as widespread as it is now. 


Yes, relative to ABDV’s talent those T20I  #s are uninspiring.

Link to comment
50 minutes ago, Majestic said:

It is still pretty low for his standards. He clearly underachieved in that format. What one can argue could be that as youngster, he would be trying to make a bigger impact in tests and ODIs and didn't took T20s as seriously. Back in late 2000s, T20s was not really as widespread as it is now. 

 

His T20 performance against Australia is shocking.  8 innings 52 runs 7.42 average 86 strike rate !! That is Pujarasque. You are right he has under-achieved.  But we cannot compare that with Pant.   May be the bilateral T20s were far and few in between. Also ABDV was always going to be no.1 pick for his T20 side due to his hitting ability.  Pant on the other hand is easily dispensable. We don't really need him in T20. There are other keepers who do better. This guy's main strength is against spinners. If he is getting out even to them then there is not a lot of way he can score runs in T20. 80%  of his shots are low percentage shots.  A certain Patidar, Tripathi can do much better if they get as many chances as Pant.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...