We Need to Talk About Dravid

On 7/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, vvvslaxman said:

One thing i hoped was improved batting technique in English conditions. Kohli is repeatedly doing the exact same mistake again and again. 

In all fairness - Kohli does not look like he will listen to anybody about his batting technique.

I dont have expectations from this world cup due to lack of good bowling options however..

they have improved agressive intent in batting..that is refreshing..

On bowling..I think they went on safe side...giving priority to relative experience..the slow bowling experts..and couldnt induct raw players..they tried with Umran and Arshdeep but had to keep Arsh and fell back to Avesh..

I didnt like this particular aspect of thinking..as we lost so much time and we end up with nothing in bowling..

fielding has declined too..

post WT20..I would like to see their approach on developing pace bowling options..as they need to look from long term perspective of penetration in bowling attack..

5 hours ago, express bowling said:

Low quality and Uber Defensive Coach. 

Lacks aggression and is destroying the high quality Quick bowling attack that Kohli-Arun-Shastri created. 

Also, seems like a schemer with his plans to push Rahul as keeper in LOIs, pushing out Pant. His role in the Chappell - Ganguly saga was thought to be of an obedient captain but now I am beginning to have doubts. 

Since Rahul and Rohit have taken over the Ind team there are 3 quantifiable thing that has gone south :

1. Fielding standards -  Ind might be the worse team in terms of Catching and creating a magic moments on the fields
  2. Fitness 
  3. Bowling Speeds of the bowler + the number of injured players specially fast bowlers 

These things can be easily quantified, outside these obvious  issues, I think team is v.fearful of any opposition. No clear visibility on the injuries - Dravid kept saying Bhumra and Jadeja may get fit by WC.  Do not see any real innovations.

No clear rational/logic behind any selections -Bringing Unadkat in BD series and calling back recovering Umesh in Aus T20 series. They do not know what to do with Wicket Keeper's spot in the white ball cricket.

Recalling Umesh in T20 and Unadkat here gives the  false impression of lack of depth of Fast bowlers available. They have disrupted V.Iyer's career left him unsure where to bat (to open or to play lower down as hitter). 

Not sure if Chahal fits the scheme for big tournaments, Ind cricket is becoming soo mundane in all the formats that when compared to Eng it looks like entirely different sports.

Adding to all these are the amount of off-time Rohit and Rahul are taking are never seen before in Ind cricket. 

Edited by tapandrun

Was watching sports tak and Vikrant had fair point. Dravid was ultra aggressive in declaring when sachin was on 194 then what happened to that aggression in first test when he couldn't follow on against bangladesh team with 5 bowlers when they had them out for 150. Even before i felt he was overhyped for his u19 contribution. They had good team and we have won u19 worldcup even previously.

Lot of morons including Ganguly wanted Dravid to be the coach.He was a meek captain who had no personality nor could stand up against his own coach for his team.

Under19 coaching is easier , all players are in awe for what you have done as player. There also what contribution has he made, has he refined any player there who could contribute to senior team or for that matter even IPL teams.

India won under19 world cup before Dravid every became coach.

Edited by putrevus