When I was coach, India were timid at the top: Shastri backs Rohit and Co.'s aggressive approach in T20Is

sage

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/cricket/when-i-was-coach-india-were-timid-at-the-top-shastri-backs-rohit-and-co-s-aggressive-approach-in-t20is-article-93747476

Former India head coach Ravi Shastri admitted that the Men in Blue were timid at the top in the shortest formats especially while talking about the new approach. Shastri said that the discussion had happened about the approach during his tenure but said that this approach is the best in the T20Is.

Shastri admitted that India were a little too timid especially at the top of the order - trying to conserve wickets, setting up for the middle-order to finish on a high.
Speaking on Star Sports ahead of India's clash against Pakistan in the Asia Cup 2022, Shastri said, "They should not change the approach. Even when I was coach we discussed we were a bit timid at the top considering the players we had down the order.
"It is the right approach. You will lose a few games in between but if you start winning with this approach you can take that confidence in big games and use the same tactics," he added.

1 hour ago, Lord said:

also all good things in his tenure due to him, bad due to Kohli :phehe:

well reality is that he's on record saying it multiple times - that ultimate decision making authority for a cricket team is the Captain and not the Coach.  That's the reason why he was backed by Virat to replace Kumble in the first place.  

Shastri is a lot of things, but he's not stupid enough not to know how things work in Indian cricket.

4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Last year after world T20 loss Kohli said we were timid.  Now Nasser says we are timid.  Shastri also admitted they were timid. If you can't eliminate timidity, eliminate the personnel who are timid

then you will have no one... perhaps one can play the U19 team instead, but some of them are timid too

Edited by Vijy