Is Pune the best city for living in India?

Majestic

Good living standards

Good growth and job opportunities

Good educational institutions

Less traffic

Less crowd

Very good weather

Different places nearby to explore

City becomes like a hill station during monsoon

Goa also nearest from Pune compared to any other major cities

What do you guys think?

Pune or Hyderabad. Does Pune include Pimpri-Chinchwad as well - otherwise that could be a second city that would rival Pune. 

Best thing about Pune is that it is close to a lot of good weekend getaways. Lavasa, Mahabaleshwar, Mumbai, Khandala, Lonawala, Panchgani, Nashik etc. Even if you get bored of Pune - lots of places you can go to without tiring yourself. 

The thing is,

Bangalore was the Pune, 15 years back. Mumbai was the city xxx years back.

Word spreads..people rush in and it looses its charm.

I have been to Pune many times. I would agree atm is it the city with the best prospects overall in India. But each time I visit, it becomes a worse on the parameters that make it a prospect to begin with.

Ahmedabad/Hyderabad the next Pune? 

4 hours ago, G_B_ said:

Hyderabad the next Pune? 

Hyderabad is a comfortably bigger city with better roads and connectivity than Pune. And it always has been. 

Pune was/is a cantonment town which now is starting to burst beyond its limits. Sort of like how bangalore is imploding with limited scope for further development except if you include areas like pimpri-chinchwad etc etc. 

The public transportation system is next to non-existent. 

Also , You can compare Pune to Mysore , Ahmedabad and other cities of similar size etc but not with metros like Bangalore , Hyderabad. 

Edited by bsriharsha

On 3/13/2023 at 10:14 AM, Majestic said:

Good living standards

Good growth and job opportunities

Good educational institutions

Less traffic

Less crowd

Very good weather

Different places nearby to explore

City becomes like a hill station during monsoon

Goa also nearest from Pune compared to any other major cities

What do you guys think?

The part in bold makes me wonder if you've visited Pune in the recent past.

Re:jobs, there are industries at Chakan and IT companies dime a dozen. But other industries are absent. Notably Finance/ Financial services. And FMCG related marketing/distribution jobs are few. 

Poona !

Pune sound’s like a job title. Or at least PuNe to transliterate the consonant properly. 

Never been to Pune, just came back from visiting Bengaluru and totally disappointed with the traffic. No road is not dug up for either Metro or for upgrade due to election season. The city is a concrete dust hellhole. Everybody was sick from some respiratory disorder.

Nobody travels across the city and people stay and live in a part throughout their lives. I can live lifelong in SoBe and not have to go to HSR layout or Whitefield ever. Or even five streets down. People WFH and order food from Swiggy. 

But jobs in my field are plenty and people from all over the world still flock to the city. Most relatives and friends work in Startups and are vying to be bought over by corporations. Weather is still the USP, people complain about not being as good as earlier, but still prefer to move to the city. Bengaluru is what “Bombay” used to be in the 80s-90s. With better spacious apartments and villas and nicer Ola /Uber drivers

Hyderabad is nice traffic-wise, but a boring city. No sense of cuisine, I think people don’t have any hemoglobin, but only biryani and spicy food like guttivankaya. 

Edited by coffee_rules