I'm Trying to Make a Comeback Into National Team: Deepak Chahar

vvvslaxman

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/im-trying-to-make-a-comeback-into-national-team-deepak-chahar-8583970.html

Deepak Chahar asserted that injuries are part and parcel of a sportsperson’s career and it is not in the hands of anyone. Chahar lost his place in the Indian team due to his back and hamstring injuries. The swing bowler failed to find his place in India’s ODI World Cup squad. His recent injury issues put him out of contention for a place in the 15-member squad.

Chahar’s career has been bogged down by several injuries as he also missed out on the T20 World Cup last year in Australia. The 31-year-old bowler last played for India in December last year.

Chahar picked up a hamstring injury earlier in the season and missed as many as six IPL league games for Chennai Super Kings. Earlier, he missed last year’s IPL due to a back injury.

The seamer said he is determined to get his place back in the Indian cricket team as he is currently completely fit and his priority is to remain the same.

“A player should not get disappointed by injuries. These things are not in a player’s hand. My priority right now is to remain fit and be available for the team. I will give my 100 per cent for the team whenever I get a chance," Chahar told PTI Bhasha on the sidelines of a promotional event of his brand ‘D9’ here on Tuesday.

“In my case it can also be said that I was having a bad time. Last year I suffered a back injury, which is serious for a fast bowler but now I am completely fit. I am very happy with my bowling at the moment.

“I am trying to make a comeback into the national team. I recently played the RPL (Rajasthan Premier League) tournament. Till Sunday, I was at the National Cricket Academy. I was practising with the Indian team, which is going to China for the Asian Games," he added.

With the ball in hand, Chahar has picked up 16 and 29 wickets respectively from 13 ODIs and 24 T20 Internationals.

But Chahar is also no mean with the bat and has two half-centuries in ODIs.

Chahar is not part of the Indian team for the upcoming ODI World Cup at home but the cricketer aspires to win the elite ICC tournament once during his playing career. “A cricketer’s dream is to play the World Cup and win it for the country. I will try to complete it whenever I get a chance.

“I have won many tournaments in my first appearance. It was my first Asia Cup when India won it in 2018. I have played five finals in last six IPL seasons and have become champions thrice," he said.

“I have not played the World Cup yet and whenever I get a chance, I want to contribute to the team’s victory."

Chahar said he has learnt a lot from Mahendra Singh Dhoni, his skipper at Chennai Super Kings.

“I am very lucky that I got a chance to spend time with Mahi bhai (Dhoni). I have been playing with him for many years. I consider him as my elder brother and my idol. I respect him a lot as a player and human being. I have learnt a lot from him."

Deepak Chahar is 30+, ofcourse now he has a genuine chance of becoming a solid member of international team.

Maybe he can as well post an image with caption " dear white ball, please give me one more chance". 

In all seriousness, his and Thakur's time is over post WC. Make a move for bowling allrounders like Harshit, Hangargekar, Yudhvir or Gurnoor. He can play IPL for CSK and happily earn crores.

On 9/20/2023 at 6:04 PM, vvvslaxman said:

Only spot he can compete for is Thakur's spot. That guy takes wickets and is always available with lesser LOI batting credentials.  But an inform chahar as a batsman can be more than handy. This spinner all rounder spot would not have become such a huge controversy.

He can only bowl with new ball where we already have Siraj and Bumrah. Plus he can break down anytime so very unreliable to pick. Can only play T20Is as of now.

by next WC, I would like to see nos. 6-8 as follows:

No. 6: spin-bowling AR with focus on batting [lots of candidates: r. parag, n. sindhu, a. sharma, w. sundar]

No. 7: genuine AR who can contribute in both disciplines more or less equally [no genuine contender barring R. bawa and maybe sundar if bowling improves]

No. 8: pace-bowling AR with focus on bowling [some candidates: h. rana, r. hangargekar, g. brar]

Edited by Vijy