This must be the end of Iyer's international career

Gollum

One thing about Iyer is that though his short ball play has been horrendous in this WC, his game against anything pitched up has been pleasing to watch, timing and power is there. Out of 10 pull shots he might have nailed 2, got out on 4 and missed others. 

It's too early to call for the end of his career, but the kind of resources in the waiting, Jaiswal, Samson, Pant, etc, Iyer should not take things lightly from here on and if given a chance must perform and guts it out in the middle. 

Edited by Sean Bradley
10 minutes ago, tapandrun said:

the problems is kishan is no upgrade on iyer and relying on sky in odi is dicey in odis

They messed by selecting some nonsense

Iyer,Thakur,Ashwin,Axar we knew they will be mostly redundant but they wasted precious spots

They could have easily gone with Prasidh,Jaiswal,Rinku,Tilak,Sundar/Samson etc

And I know our man Dravid will mess with Kela's spot in all important SF if somehow he thinks of dropping Iyer

19 minutes ago, Sean Bradley said:

One thing about Iyer is that though his short ball play has been horrendous in this WC, his game against anything pitched up has been pleasing to watch, timing and power is there. Out of 10 pull shots he might have nailed 2, got out on 4 and missed others. 

It's too early to call for the end of his career, but the kind of resources in the waiting, Jaiswal, Samson, Pant, etc, Iyer should not take things lightly from here on and if given a chance must perform and guts it out in the middle. 

in Odis he can avoid to play hook or pull shot unless really required. In T20 u can not waste a ball but in ODi at no.4 he can duck down few and make bowler bowl driving length or 3/4 and can capitalize on Spinners 

Edited by tapandrun
On 10/29/2023 at 2:51 AM, Adamant said:

People tell me Ganguly also had a weakness against bounce but what they don’t understand is that Ganguly was so good against lateral movement, look at his record in Eng and Nz, also I have forgotten the count of the number of matches where he was the lone warrior as opener against Wasim Waqar.

On top of that he was an actual good player of spin unlike Iyer who is just good against bad spin bowling. Still remember how Ganguly used tp go over the spinner’s head for a six, inside out shots as well.

Kishan is not a big upgrade but atleast he shows more aggression and can actually play short stuff

Ganguly had a weakness but in spite of that scored 22 odi centuries..captaincy took a toll but he came back with a tighter technique and did very well in test cricket after comeback...plus ganguly was mentally very strong

13 minutes ago, Need4Speed said:

Iyer should set his ego aside and let go playing against short ball..at max.if slight width.just try to hit them on off side..may be for a six..just avoid the pull and hooks for sometime..else its going to massively dent his confidence if not already..

It's not just an ego issue, did no one see his first dismissal against Oz? The ball was fullish but he was way back in his crease & yet drove on the up with ball in the air - that means his front foot play is also compromised. Unless he's doing an almost 180 in the next game or two I will drop him, his brain is scrambled & he didn't really look that fluent in the 3 ODI's vs Oz either :no:

2 hours ago, IndiaWC8311 said:

Iyer is just Bombay lobby quota.

Ruturaj Gaikwad will be way better even in middle order

Can you please explain this to me, I have heard this term before, what does the "Bombay lobby quota" mean?

I presume its similar to in Australia, where players from the state of NSW (Sydney) are generally picked over other states.

Having an issue against the short ball is not that much of a problem in and of itself, its common among subcontinental batsmen. When the rest of your game has gone for a toss because your game now is only and only about countering the short ball then it becomes a much bigger issue. Everything from his stance to the way he sets up suggests that he is expecting a short one by default which has affected everything else that was working well in his game. This is a job for one of the coaches tbh to tell him to play with a clear head and not worry about compulsively pulling/hooking because he has been practising it and wants to prove a point. The risk isn't worth it for our no. 4 batsman even if he hits the odd 4 or 6. 

Edited by rollingstoned

Good player but always felt he had big ego. During his domestic career, he was always hyped up as future Indian captain and that probably got to him. 

There was a time when he had to travel and play a probably Ranji game for Mumbai very next day he landed. He scored big in the match and started complaining about work load balance in media. 

Many players would do anything to play a Ranji game in their early 20s. While it's fine to talk about workload, there will be times players need to put in extra effort.