India v New Zealand : 1st Semi Final : Pre-match discussion thread

Gill averages close to 100 against NZ in the last 2 years. He left psychological scarson them. I understand they will plan for everyone like Iyer, Kohli, Rohitwho himself has done well against NZ with an average of 63.  But their major plan will be against GIll. If he somehow finds his form it will be great. Then SKY is another guy who can bully these army of trundlers. India just has to adapt and play accordingly. I am  bit worried about Iyer. They will have  two card trick against him. Ful ball followed by bouncer or vice versa. Hope he doesn't get tempted. He does well against them generally. This is where guys like Rohit/Kohli have to step up. Iyer is the biggest santner killer we have.

19 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

I am supporting India. Have always supported India over NZ.

I am just amazed a country with a grand total of 6 million and for whom cricket is not their primary sport, they perform better than us in crunch matches.

Cricket is a game of strategies more than you think. If someone is smarter he can bridge the gap drastically. If the opposition captain is dumber the gap will be even closer.

26 minutes ago, EnterTheVoid said:

I am supporting India. Have always supported India over NZ.

I am just amazed a country with a grand total of 6 million and for whom cricket is not their primary sport, they perform better than us in crunch matches.

NZ is also a first world country and has all the advantages of a first world country - analytics, fitness etc. They maximize potential as much as possible.

Sports are ultimately a rich man's plaything.

As Ind becomes richer, they will keep getting better (As they have been since the 2000s once the first batch of players to have started playing since 92 reforms).

One of the good things about better systems is injury management via which Bumrah and Shami have been able to fulfill their initial promise despite injuries etc. Compare to the mid 00s crop we had - Irfan, RP, Nehra etc who we couldn't take to the next level. Pakistan has this issue with guys like Junaid, Amir, Hasan Ali getting injured and returning a pale shadow of themselves. Shaheen currently. Maybe Naseem next.

Edited by deathmonger
1 hour ago, EnterTheVoid said:

Then consider Uruguay in soccer - pop 3.4 million and they can play with anybody. Play with a Argentina with just a little lower skill but match Italy in toughness in a WC game.

21 minutes ago, AKane said:

Then consider Uruguay in soccer - pop 3.4 million and they can play with anybody. Play with a Argentina with just a little lower skill but match Italy in toughness in a WC game.

People have to understand how many people actually pursue cricket as a career. When you calculate the raw numbers it is less than you think. India's strength is going to be the bench strength. Karun Nairs, Manoj Tiwarys, Manish pandeys probably would still be playing for some other side.   Even Chahal, Bishnoi will have a shot. Sundar may be a regular for some other team.  Too bad cricket is just a XI player game.   

6 hours ago, Serpico said:

Boult giving hints that another football score loading? :nervous:

Even with that football score card we still could have won the match with a bit of juidicial shot selection in the middle overs.  First Pant holing out, Immediately Pandya holing out. So many things went in their favor. Direct hit  with one stump to aim at. That catch of DK was out of the world. He took it barely an inch above the ground.  I do not expect such a mess up with batting this time. But our bowling should be top notch.

7 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

This game I remember very well....I was in India at that time. So much hype for the tournament opener. India dished a rank turner thinking they will stream roll NZ. But Kiwi's read the pitch brilliantly and picked a spin friendly team and embarrassed India 

Santner (4) + Nathan Mccullum (2) + Sodhi (3) ------- 11 overs, 9 wickets, 46 runs

Jadeja + Ashwin - 2 wickets for 58 runs. 

Disaster!! 

Edited by nitinbwj
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Even with that football score card we still could have won the match with a bit of juidicial shot selection in the middle overs.  First Pant holing out, Immediately Pandya holing out. So many things went in their favor. Direct hit  with one stump to aim at. That catch of DK was out of the world. He took it barely an inch above the ground.  I do not expect such a mess up with batting this time. But our bowling should be top notch.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/india-in-new-zealand-2018-19-1153688/new-zealand-vs-india-5th-odi-1153695/full-scorecard

This should have been the template

9 minutes ago, ravishingravi said:

On the day folks. India is better side but on the day anyone can be an hero. All this chest thumping followed by wrist slitting would be pointless. 

No room for failure against a team like NZ.  I understand losing to Australia who has some elements that can completely shock us on a given day. But NZ's forces are controllable. So there will be serious backlash should they fail especially VK and RS fail one more time.