Jump to content

Mumbai Set To Get New Cricket Stadium With 1 Lakh Capacity


Recommended Posts

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) is planning to build a new cricket stadium in Mumbai that will have a seating capacity of 1 lakh fans. According to a report in the Times of India on Sunday (July 7), MCA is planning to build a new stadium in Thane district, which will be 68 km away from the Wankhede Stadium.

It has been reported that the new stadium will be built on 50 acres of open land in Amane village. MCA has reportedly submitted the open tender floated by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) to acquire the land and is waiting for the approval of the Maharashta government for the project.

The new stadium is said to be a dream project of former MCA President Amol Kale, who passed away last month.

The report of the new stadium came a day after Maharashtra deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis called for the ionic city to have a bigger stadium during the felicitation ceremony of Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, and Yashasvi Jaiswal at the Maharashtra state assembly.

“We have one of the historic stadiums in Mumbai in the form of Wankhede Stadium. Ashish Ji (BCCI treasurer and BJP MLA Ashish Shelar) is here. Mumbai needs a bigger stadium than Wankhede. Therefore, in the near future, our chief minister will extend all possible help to MCA and BCCI. Wankhede is a historic stadium and cannot be compared to any other. But it is time to give Mumbai a stadium with a capacity of more than one lakh,” said Fadnavis.

At present, Mumbai is the home of three international cricket stadiums: Wankhede Stadium (33,000), Brabourne Stadium (20,000), and DY Patil Stadium, Navi Mumbai (45,000).

 

News18

Link to comment
52 minutes ago, Tillu said:

The Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) is planning to build a new cricket stadium in Mumbai that will have a seating capacity of 1 lakh fans. According to a report in the Times of India on Sunday (July 7), MCA is planning to build a new stadium in Thane district, which will be 68 km away from the Wankhede Stadium.

It has been reported that the new stadium will be built on 50 acres of open land in Amane village. MCA has reportedly submitted the open tender floated by the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) to acquire the land and is waiting for the approval of the Maharashta government for the project.

The new stadium is said to be a dream project of former MCA President Amol Kale, who passed away last month.

The report of the new stadium came a day after Maharashtra deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis called for the ionic city to have a bigger stadium during the felicitation ceremony of Rohit Sharma, Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, and Yashasvi Jaiswal at the Maharashtra state assembly.

“We have one of the historic stadiums in Mumbai in the form of Wankhede Stadium. Ashish Ji (BCCI treasurer and BJP MLA Ashish Shelar) is here. Mumbai needs a bigger stadium than Wankhede. Therefore, in the near future, our chief minister will extend all possible help to MCA and BCCI. Wankhede is a historic stadium and cannot be compared to any other. But it is time to give Mumbai a stadium with a capacity of more than one lakh,” said Fadnavis.

At present, Mumbai is the home of three international cricket stadiums: Wankhede Stadium (33,000), Brabourne Stadium (20,000), and DY Patil Stadium, Navi Mumbai (45,000).

 

News18

I understand Brabourne is under CCI control and Wankhede can't be expanded anymore.

But why DY Patil isn't improve further. It's not hosting any games...has bigger boundaries too and hence can serve as a good alternate for Wankhede.

 

 

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

The area where it is being built is near Kalyan.  It doesn't come under Mumbai district nor under Mumbai Metropolitan Region.  Rather it's far off.  It's almost a different city altogether.   

Edited by Frustrated
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, zen said:

Need “green” spaces. 


Last thing we need is another concrete mess. 

Need to promote stadiums like Dehradun, Dharamshala more...amazing landscape.

 

Cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Hyd, Bengaluru will remain concrete mess no matter how much we try.

 

A few stadiums in North East minus Guwahati is very much needed as well to promote the cricket.

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

The area where it is being built is near Kalyan.  It doesn't come under Mumbai district nor under Mumbai Metropolitan Region.  Rather it's far off.  It's almost a different city altogether.   

Kalyan & Mumbai are almost same now..

Soon the Western Ghats will become the geographical boundary for Mumbai Metropolitan :cantstop:

Link to comment

Ideally at one point Mumbai and NCR get 2 IPL teams like LA and NY do. Or the football teams of London, Paris, Manchester, Madrid etc

 

So Mumbai Indians and there can be Kalyan Kommandos or some such in this new stadium. Also Gurgaon Giants or something.

Link to comment
38 minutes ago, Ultimate_Game said:

As long as we move on from that panauti Modi stadium, it's all good

Day games in that stadium is not a problem. There is no undue advantage to a particular team.  Test matches are fine.  Even T20s which begin at 7 pm onwards are fine.  Problem is D/N ODI games.  The pitch turns into a batting paradise at night. Spinners become totally useless at night.   Just like Dewbai.  

Link to comment
6 hours ago, rageaddict said:

Good News, now we can organize the Whole World Cup in Mumbai Metropolitan Region. 

Better than organizing it in Dhoklam region where our IPL superstars got cat feet looking at the 100k+ capacity crowd :whack2:

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Frustrated said:

Day games in that stadium is not a problem. There is no undue advantage to a particular team.  Test matches are fine.  Even T20s which begin at 7 pm onwards are fine.  Problem is D/N ODI games.  The pitch turns into a batting paradise at night. Spinners become totally useless at night.   Just like Dewbai.  

 

The problem is that any intl match there'll be a day-night affair and it'll depend on toss. Other venues like Chennai, Hyderabad, Indore, Nagpur, Kolkatta etc. are much better as toss is not that crucial. That's why don't want any white-ball matches at that venue. They can continue playing tests and IPL matches there.

Link to comment

India is obsessed with useless mega stadiums and statues. 

 

Wanna improve sports, take a leaf out of some of the high performance centres in US like the one in Colorado Springs, they are in 23rd century now. Or fund sports in schools, colleges, introduce nice scholarships for budding cricketers which can take care of their tuition fees as well.

 

This will be a waste of money, an eyesore, no practical utility in an area which already has 3 sizable cricket stadiums. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...