Ravi Shastri forces MS to drop Dhawan For Rahane

7 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Will agree with that. With the stability acquired after the first 6-7 overs Rahane should have slogged away or got out. This is where I feel India think thank totally lacked insight. Rahane should have been sent the orders, hit out and or get out. He would have followed through as he is a team player. 

Rahane's role was done when he reached 20. I think he played 15 balls too many.  India should have reached 205 in those spare balls. 

THIS. It is very obvious that the team management and captain weren't confident of sending players to hit...because in recent times we have collapsed while trying to do so...short boundaries or not

5 hours ago, WC2011INDIA said:

Wtf was dhoni doing? Even he didn't hit any sixes which he is famous for. Bottom line is that no batsman other than Rohit is capable of hitting sixes in this entire team. But even he scored only 43 off 31 on a flat pitch...compare that to Roy or Russell who score 40+ off 20 odd balls. Also, Virat is an amazing player, but he is nowhere as good as the West Indies players when it comes to hitting sixes. 

I am very sure Rahane was told to stay at crease as long as possible because the captain and management are not confident of the other batsmen considering all except kohli were in piss poor form the entire tournament.

R u sure we would have scored more if rahane had gone much earlier and raina or someone else was sent?  while trying to hit the big shots they could have lost heap of wickets..like NZ did in their semi final against England. It's easy to say that so and so should have batted this way from an audience perspective...no one knows the ground reality..if anything dhoni should have sent pandya immidiately after rahane's wicket rather than himself. Pandya has played on this pitch and i am sure would have hitten 3-4 boundaries...but nah...frankly the captaincy and decision making behind the scenes is piss poor. No one knows who to send to bat at a particular point in the match when wicket falls...

Btw i dont believe for a second that Ravi made dhoni choose rahane over dhawan. Since when did he gain clout? Dhoni does what he wants to do..

Rohit has just started to free his arms. He scored 20 runs in the last ten balls he faced including the ball of his dismissal. He could have very likely scored 65+ if he played another 10 balls without being dismissed. Whereas, if Rahane stayed for some more time, he would have scored another 12-15 runs in the next ten balls he faced bringing something like 45 ball 50 and that is very very low on this pitch.

No poster here is claiming Rahane is a villain of the match but only saying that his selection for this match on a pitch like that of Whankede is a serious mistake, that too replacing Dhawan who could have come good here. 

It is completely different thing had Rahane being brought because the captain and the management thought they are looking at another Nagpur kind of pitch where grit and accumulation of hard earned runs is required to score a good total. 

33 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

Will agree with that. With the stability acquired after the first 6-7 overs Rahane should have slogged away or got out. This is where I feel India think thank totally lacked insight. Rahane should have been sent the orders, hit out and or get out. He would have followed through as he is a team player. 

Rahane's role was done when he reached 20. I think he played 15 balls too many.  India should have reached 205 in those spare balls. 

Team management got bit concerned around the half way mark and repeatedly sent messages to Rahane but he was a man possessed. He took his role too seriously and continued grafting runs... After sending numerous messages he finally hit out... If Bravo would've dropped his catch then India would've ended at a much lower total because the next so called slogger ended up struggling to accelerate himself...

1 hour ago, G_B_ said:

was it?

We had them 44 for 2 at the end of the 6th over.  The new ball was doing something. With Gayle back in the hut. From what point 192 was a daunting total and could have been a winning total. 

Is was not that bad a score. Without the dew our spinners would have seen us through.

But by 15th over with 60 plus to get, i would have backed INdia to win against most teams on a different ground. But even crowd were resigned to the fact that loss was inevitable. You have to factor in dew factor as well when you set target in Wankhede. Not like it is a new stadium for us. You need 20 runs above par total on this ground we were 15  runs below par. It is not like Rahane is picked on in hindsight. He was called for his slow scoring even when the innings was in progress. He said he was going after 170 which would have been a pretty bad total.

Link - a team that I would have preferred 

Rahane was chosen because it was probably team management's idea to start like that. Though Rahane should have played more freely esp once Kohli settled down 

As discussed on  Indian brand of cricket in T20 explained by Dhoni thread, Dhoni explained the strategy:

Of late, India have been quite vocal about their approach to Twenty20 batting: taking time to gauge the conditions, not taking undue risks, and playing largely cricketing shots. They do not move around the crease to exploit the V behind the wicket, they do not switch-hit or reverse-sweep, and they do not hit across the line until the slog overs.

After India's seven-wicket loss in the semi-final, Dhoni even called it the "Indian brand of cricket", when he was asked how difficult it had been for India to set themselves a target, knowing they were playing a power-packed West Indies team on a flat pitch. West Indies chased down 193 with a flurry of boundaries, getting there with seven wickets in hand.

"As I said, we have to keep reviewing [our desired first-innings total]," Dhoni said. "What our strength is, if you see the Indian brand of cricket, we take one or two overs, we see how the wicket is behaving, and according to that we see 'okay, next five overs, let's do this', 'at the end of this over, if we have not lost too many wickets, this is where we should be'.

Dhoni praised Rahane's contribution, saying he had given India a solid platform from where they could "launch and score those extra 10-15 runs in the last few overs". Dhoni said Rahane had done "what he does best" and had been picked ahead of Shikhar Dhawan for precisely this reason.

By normal cricketing standards, Rahane played an excellent innings. West Indies made him work hard for his runs, and he stuck it out, ran hard between the wickets, and scored as quickly as possible while not taking undue risks.

Also towards the end, the team went for too many 2s (continuation of Rahane's style of playing) rather than going for big hits. 6 2s = 12 runs, SR of 200 when Ind needed 20+ runs overs .... Also when you take too many 2s, you could tire out thus impacting the big shot hitting abilities. With wkts in hand and Mumbai's ground being relatively small, there were no reasons for not to go for big shots .... WI played more dots (and thus more focused on hitting big shots) but were able to hit more 4s and 6s

you can not blame rahane alone. He was part of the problem but not the whole problem. People are analysis the situation really one way only. First of WI was the team who can beat any team in this tournament and eventually they got the title, so if you see it in otherway, India lost to the best team in the tournament. The bowlers were the issue, they can do much better and that why we lost. Rahane and Rohit partnership was the best thing can happen in SF match. 

Match has been lost because of bowlers and bowles only. they had collectively bad day  unfortunately. By the way, there should not be a match either, who ever win the toss should automatically declared winner :)

On 4/2/2016 at 4:43 PM, WC2011INDIA said:

Wtf was dhoni doing? Even he didn't hit any sixes which he is famous for. Bottom line is that no batsman other than Rohit is capable of hitting sixes in this entire team. But even he scored only 43 off 31 on a flat pitch...compare that to Roy or Russell who score 40+ off 20 odd balls. Also, Virat is an amazing player, but he is nowhere as good as the West Indies players when it comes to hitting sixes. 

The kind of game plan India team has is see of first 2-3 overs, first settle down and then hit out according to the situation. Rohit did same. He started cautiously first first 3-4 overs and then started to hit. Kohli did same. Even he was 43 of 30 once and then scored 46 in his last 15 balls.

On 4/2/2016 at 10:44 PM, vvvslaxman said:

But by 15th over with 60 plus to get, i would have backed INdia to win against most teams on a different ground. But even crowd were resigned to the fact that loss was inevitable. You have to factor in dew factor as well when you set target in Wankhede. Not like it is a new stadium for us. You need 20 runs above par total on this ground we were 15  runs below par. It is not like Rahane is picked on in hindsight. He was called for his slow scoring even when the innings was in progress. He said he was going after 170 which would have been a pretty bad total.

We scored 60 in last 5 against Aus to win the game on a bigger ground of Mohali which had no effect of dew.

On 4/2/2016 at 5:40 AM, HippoSucks said:

Rahane would have been a good choice on some of the more difficult pitches, like the one against New Zealand or Pakistan. 

Exactly.  We should have played Rahane as an opener in the expected-to-be-low-scoring , difficult-to-bat-on surfaces and Dhawan on the flat pitches where quick runs are required.

Somehow...it happened the other way round.

Rahane's innings was the soul reason we lost the match and I dont blame him because he just doesn't have the ability and mentality to shift gears when needed.even in the middle overs he was just looking for singles and hardly tried to hit,40 of 36 is match losing knock on that dead wankhede wkt and wkts were never a problem,we had 8 wkts remaining in the end.its all about slam bang on these kind of surfaces and small boundaries

I dont know why people are blaming our bowlers,we didn't have thr right kind of bowling attack that day nor was 192 easy to defend,only thing which can be used against the bowlers were the no balls.no bowling attack could have defended that total,aus,saf,pak,eng every bowling line up would have been massacred on that pitch.windies still had brathwaite,sammy and bravo to come lol

On 02/04/2016 at 11:50 AM, rkt.india said:

Dhawan would have suited to the pitch more than Rahane. Dhawan was successful on the similar pitches in Australia. This was the pitch readymade for batsman like Dhawan.

I agree , you never know but I think Dhawan was due for runs , he may have scored big here or at least given us a brisk start ..was surprised he was droped for semis which is unlike Dhoni

Can't believe people are bigging up Dhawan inspite of his failure through out the whole series. And the bowling was piss poor anyway you look at it. Kohli had to bowl 2 overs for heaven's sake.

I believe the main culprit is Ashwin, being a senior bowler he should have stood up on that day. But no, when the pitch does not offer turn he goes hiding, and ends up bowling 2 overs only. Coward. 

the problem was that Bumrah and Ahswin caught those catches off no-balls! if they had not caught the catch, the no ball would not have been checked. we would have saved 2 balls, plus two free-hits less.. :hysterical:

That would have been an easy win by 10 runs..

On April 2, 2016 at 3:05 AM, rkt.india said:

no bowling attack can bowl well with so much dew. No matter how much you practice, you cannot change the ball and the behavior of the pitch.

Read R Ashwin's take on the dew factor in that match.