Should Rishabh Pant be fast-tracked into the Indian Test team?

maniac

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/1073441.html

From the chief selectors interview

Rishabh is an attacking cricketer. We should know how to bring him into the team - from the shorter format to the longer format. When we need somebody like Abhinav Mukund or Priyank Panchal, they have to come from the longer format to the shorter format. We feel this is the right way to groom and nurture talent.

Pant will debut in ODI's or T20

25 minutes ago, maniac said:

He is in :yay: high hopes for him but think he will make it.....Hope he gets his shot......selectors ne hamaari sun lee.

Where are all those who said he has to play 2 or 3 seasons more.......He is ready now hope he is handled well.

I still think he needs a season with the A team. The gap between Ranji trophy and international cricket is huge.

6 minutes ago, vipin said:

I still think he needs a season with the A team. The gap between Ranji trophy and international cricket is huge.

It is only slog fest T20...has done well in IPL...so a good hit in the middle in that format can do him a world of good....obviously no one is asking him to start playing in tests...for that he needs a little time. but if he kicks off in T20,might transfer that over into ODI cricket. And as you said,some A tours on the side might eventually get him ready for tests.

16 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

It was me who brought him first at ICF when he wasnt even picked for India U19, had posted his exploited in U19 domestic One day where his SR was 154 and was man of the tournament scoring highest number of runs, but I won't boast. :p::fishing:

:hatsoff:

1 hour ago, express bowling said:

It is important to support Pant even if he does not do well in his first series or two.

It is not easy to go from U19 to international cricket, with only a handful of league Ranji matches inbetween.

We must give him the time to get aclimatized to international cricket.

We have to. We play plenty of ODI's after champions trophy including an important ODI series against Australia, perfect time to give him more chances in case he doesn't do well in next few games. 

However, I have this feeling that any player who plays like a king in the upcoming IPL will surelu make it to Indian team for champions trophy. So Pant has to just make sure he is not ordinary and at least putting good decent runs or has a patch like Dhawan had in IPL few years back, to make sure he can be picked for the champions trophy. 

40 minutes ago, BeautifulGame said:

Looking at the T20 , is he definite to open ?

Or in the middle order ? Looking at the squad not sure how much opportunities he will get.Think the line up will be like this

Rahul

Mandeep Singh

Kohli

Yuvi

Dhoni

Raina

Pandya

Jadeja

Ashwin

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Will take him over Mandrel anyway.

5 hours ago, BeautifulGame said:

Looking at the T20 , is he definite to open ?

Or in the middle order ? Looking at the squad not sure how much opportunities he will get.Think the line up will be like this

Rahul

Mandeep Singh

Kohli

Yuvi

Dhoni

Raina

Pandya

Jadeja

Ashwin

Bhuvi

Bumrah

Mandeep is nothing but Raina part 2, who if plays regulary will soon be found on short pitch bowling. 

Dhoni Cant bat so low in t20

Here is one combination i would like to try since kohli is so consistent and score 100s while opening

Pant

Kohli

Dhoni

Rahul

Pandey/Mandeep

Raina/yuvi

Pandya

Chahal

Ashwin

Bumrah

Nehra/Bhuvi

*This is just a strategy i would like to try, not 100% sure would it work or not.

Thought behind it-  

• Kohli has remained not out in 90s in t20 coz he comes in at 3 and in those games he came after 5-6 overs. If he gets to play full overs he can make 100s and assure we get bloody good score always. Also the whole batting can revolve around him. Rohit anyways takes his time and doesnt rotate much. Kohli almost got 1000 runs in Ipl whereas rohit got half of it so it very evident what both can do given same scenarios. 1000 is always more than 500. 
  • Batting with Kohli wud be the best thing for Pant.
  • I feel dhoni doesnt help much batting low in t20 so better put him on 3.
  • Raina n yuvi are 2 inconsistent so i would like only one of them coz of left handed player and they bowl a bit to. 
Edited by Ankit_sharma03
On 10/17/2016 at 0:26 PM, Ankit_sharma03 said:

No........

•  There is no place for Pant right now. For opener 3 players are fighting- rahane, dhawan and rahul. Rahul pretty much has locked his place in 11 now depends which position. Rahane n Dhawan havent been that awfull that they can be dumped for Pant
  • Agreed Pant could be an X-factors if opens and even i see him as a future star but its too soon. As opener you should have the quality not only to face pace but pace with movement and that takes a lil time. His 300 came on very flat wkt which is eveident by a scorecard and Maharshtra wont have a single challenging bowler. Not taking any credit away from him but based on that innings its to early to decide. 
  • Pant has to time to work on skill, fitness as from next yr onwards there would be a lot of games in overseas and opening there isnt eay. We all remeber what happ to dhawan n rohit when they went to Sa n NZ and this guy has no comparison in terms of experience to them.
  • Pant also would have to lift his fielding if he wants to get in team before 2019 as with dhoni their he wont be keeping for sure.
  • Fast tracking also depends on the team's needs. Our team needed someone like Sran, PAndya so they were fast tracked but openers slot is more than filled. If there is someone who needs to be thrown in this team is kuldeep and someone in lower order who can tonk the ball, grind and bowl a few overs. 

:hysterical: 

On 10/17/2016 at 11:56 AM, express bowling said:

Pant does NOT need to be in our LOI  side right now.

He has tremendous potential as a batsman and needs to develop his game  further before being  introduced in the international side.  He has played only  3 FC  matches,   4  List A  and  10 T20s.   Let  him play one full season of FC atleast and then he maybe tried in  LOIs  in the middle of 2017  if he continues to perform.

The careers of many budding talents have been  set-back  by early introduction, when they have not developed their games  sufficiently.

:hysterical::hysterical: 

On 10/17/2016 at 0:02 PM, gattaca said:

Let guy work in domestics. Don't put pressure by asking him to select in internationals. Domestics are what helps players get their fundamentals right. Don't want someone to learn fundamentals in internationals.

On 10/17/2016 at 0:24 PM, sandeep said:

Spot on.  Introducing Pant too early risks making a Sharjeel Khan out of him.  

Forget KL Rahul, who just scored centuries in his debut ODI and T20, forget Rohit Sharma, or the countless others who have proven track records and abilities.  Let's have this kid open because we are so short of ODI openers.  Banjo this is not fantasy cricket.  

17 minutes ago, maniac said:

This is what I  said earlier and I  stick by it .....  I wanted him to finish one FC season....he has done that....now he can be tried in LOIs as he has continued to perform.

" Pant does NOT need to be in our LOI  side right now.

He has tremendous potential as a batsman and needs to develop his game  further before being  introduced in the international side.  He has played only  3 FC  matches,   4  List A  and  10 T20s.   Let  him play one full season of FC atleast and then he maybe tried in  LOIs  in the middle of 2017  if he continues to perform.

The careers of many budding talents have been  set-back  by early introduction, when they have not developed their games  sufficiently. "

2 minutes ago, express bowling said:

This is what I  said earlier and I  stick by it .....  I wanted him to finish one FC season....he has done that....now he can be tried in LOIs as he has continued to perform.

" Pant does NOT need to be in our LOI  side right now.

The careers of many budding talents have been  set-back  by early introduction, when they have not developed their games  sufficiently. "

why bother responding to Sheikh Chilly who declared as a guaranteed future ATG - drumroll please - Ben Duckett, and an inevitable defeat for India against England in the Mumbai test on Day 2, among other such brilliant claims.