Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni: Who is the greatest Indian ODI Batsman?

Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Tendulkar v Kohli v Dhoni:Who is the greatest India LOI Batsman?

50 minutes ago, Yoda-esque said:

I look back at the Sachin era with some romanticism.The game had characters.Some bowlers like Wasim,Ambrose,Donald,Waqar had this charisma and larger than life personality.That probably made Sachin batting against them seem like magic.There was an awe about the entire game,not just Sachins batting.

Kohli seems to have demystified the art of batting.He seems effortless and imperious.You no longer get scared about what will happen when he gets out.He just doesnt let you feel that way.Yet something is missing.Not sure what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

That reads as Kohli is Lendl.  Tendy was Boris Becker.:p:

Still remember that day when Asif was swinging the ball under the lights and all Indian batsmen were struggling. Even SRT was batting cautiously and he was the only one who looked comfortable. Later he scored 90 odd runs and India won the match. 

That type of situation is missing from ODIs. I am not sure which inning Kohli can be compared to that.

Most of the Kohli's masterclass are great in terms of pressure and run rate. But is there any inning which can be considered good in difficult situation with respect to the difficulty posed by bowler and not the runs posted by opposition? Dhoni played one at Chennai against Pakistan when Junaid Khan ripped apart Indian top order. Kohli scored 100 when India were 4 down few days back, but it was still good batting conditions and our batsmen were out due to their own mistakes rather than beauties bowled by bowler.

I remember Kohli playing such knock in world t20 against Pakistan at Eden when Amir was causing problems. But yet to see it in ODIs.

2 hours ago, Yoda-esque said:

I look back at the Sachin era with some romanticism.The game had characters.Some bowlers like Wasim,Ambrose,Donald,Waqar had this charisma and larger than life personality.That probably made Sachin batting against them seem like magic.There was an awe about the entire game,not just Sachins batting.

Kohli seems to have demystified the art of batting.He seems effortless and imperious.You no longer get scared about what will happen when he gets out.He just doesnt let you feel that way.Yet something is missing.Not sure what.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well said. With Tendulkar one gets the impression here's a guy who was born to bat who then worked on making the most of that talent to win matches. Kohli's raison d'être is to win matches.

Edited by goose
1 hour ago, Trichromatic said:

Still remember that day when Asif was swinging the ball under the lights and all Indian batsmen were struggling. Even SRT was batting cautiously and he was the only one who looked comfortable. Later he scored 90 odd runs and India won the match. 

That type of situation is missing from ODIs. I am not sure which inning Kohli can be compared to that.

Most of the Kohli's masterclass are great in terms of pressure and run rate. But is there any inning which can be considered good in difficult situation with respect to the difficulty posed by bowler and not the runs posted by opposition? Dhoni played one at Chennai against Pakistan when Junaid Khan ripped apart Indian top order. Kohli scored 100 when India were 4 down few days back, but it was still good batting conditions and our batsmen were out due to their own mistakes rather than beauties bowled by bowler.

I remember Kohli playing such knock in world t20 against Pakistan at Eden when Amir was causing problems. But yet to see it in ODIs.

Champions trophy 2013 final albeit that was a 20 over game

42 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

thats has a lot to do with the fact that ind cricket back then was weak ,teams like sa aus pak seemed unbeatable ,now we have lot better memories and fast bowlers have been smashed to smithereens  and awe factor of the unbeatable opponent has gone.

The match I mentioned was hardly 10 years back and Indian ODI team was not weak then. It's hardly about awe factor.

Awe factor was true with 2003 WC where he just smashed fast bowlers on a flat pitch. Apart from the pace and reputation of bowlers and pressure of big game there was no other hurdle. Wasim bowled well and rest were simply blown away by good batting line up.

Here I am talking about struggle for survival and making sure that you see through tough phase to lead team to victory. Something which Kohli did in T20 match. 

Btw, can anyone post link to match or related article?

1 hour ago, MultiB48 said:

in jan 2006 it was only around 5 yrs that ind had been playing well  now it is over 16 yrs ,makes a massive difference,if kohli played in the  90s he would have had the same aura maybe bigger,in the end these are all up to individuals according to my grandfather mushtaq ali was better than sehwag.

this is a typical  shitty highlights ,good bowling got edited out

Thanks for sharing man. Watching Dhoni-Yuvi play like that in two matches 11 years apart in 2 days is just bliss.

2 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

The match I mentioned was hardly 10 years back and Indian ODI team was not weak then. It's hardly about awe factor.

Awe factor was true with 2003 WC where he just smashed fast bowlers on a flat pitch. Apart from the pace and reputation of bowlers and pressure of big game there was no other hurdle. Wasim bowled well and rest were simply blown away by good batting line up.

Here I am talking about struggle for survival and making sure that you see through tough phase to lead team to victory. Something which Kohli did in T20 match. 

Btw, can anyone post link to match or related article?

Kohli's innings against Australia in WT20 was absolutely one of the greatest knocks played by an Indian batsman across all formats,no doubt bit if you nitpick about pitch etc when it comes to Sachin's innings,arguments can be also made that an attack of Zampa,Coulter-Nile,Maxwell,Faulkner,Hazelwood,Watson is hardly what you call a world class attack.

From a pure cricketing standpoint I rate Kohli's knock ahead of Sachin 2003.

But this twisting of factors to suit arguments is stupid.

12 hours ago, goose said:

Any discussion around India's finest in limited overs must include Yuvraj. 

There are some players that make you get out of your chair and walk up to the TV in jaw dropping disbelief. He is one of them.

Problem for Yuvi is like that other left-hander who played his best in the test arena - he didn't always show up consistently.  Boy, did he show up when it was a big game though.  

And looked a million bucks when he did.  That regal cover drive - classic Yuvi.  VK hits a very good one - channels all his rage and desire into that furious whip - but the Yuvi cover drive is like a goddam Rolls Royce.  

Edited by sandeep
3 hours ago, Mariyam said:

Ahead of Dhoni the batsman? Or ahead of Dhoni as a LOI cricketer?

Good question. Ahead of Dhoni the batsman. But I guess there was already some bias in favor of dhoni(due to wicketkeeping contribution) in my comparison.

But wicketkeeping contribution is a significant contribution imo . So some extra marks will surely be given to dhoni when evaluating his overall impact as a LoI cricketer .

10 hours ago, Trichromatic said:

Recent Asia cup innings where India were in trouble but Kohli looked like batting on a different pitch. Amir even had more pace than Asid and looked as threatening as anyone in the world in that game and on that pitch in Bangladesh. We were 3 down for nothing, Kohli saved us big time there with Yuvi a bit. 

1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

Recent Asia cup innings where India were in trouble but Kohli looked like batting on a different pitch. Amir even had more oace than Asid and looked as thrrstning as anyone in the world in that game and on that pitch in Bangladesh. We were 3 down for nothing, Kohli saved us big time there with Yuvi a bit. 

That Yuvi innings was so overrated...he just couldn't nick the ball to get out due to lack of form even when he was trying is hardest. He was just lost and couldn't get out.

I have said this before his innings in 2014 final and that innings were almost mirror image of each other just remembered differently because of the result.

yes the Kohli innings was gun.

On topic,

Tendulkar was a genious - Most complete ODI batsman.Man who changed Indian cricket for good and man who changed international cricket for better. He made the game more watchable. He gave the commentators a chance to bring out their best while calling the games live. He gave every cricket journalist, fan, haters naysayers etc to just go out there and use the word "cricket" in some form or the other.

Sachin will always be synonymous to the word "cricket" not just for our era, but for this generation. His greatness is the most contagious thing in the world. 

Dhoni is a master- One of the biggest match winner of India who would toil hard between the wickets in every tough situation. He is a man who annoyed the hell out of many Indians but in the end, he got the job done more often than not. His batting is greater than his captaincy and playing that knock under pressure with Gambhir in 2011 wc final will always remain etched in the memory of every Indian cricket fan. 

Kohli is a future Hall of Famer. He has already won enough games for India and his contribution to ODI cricket has already been enough to be compared to Tendulkar's contribution in ODI cricket wins for India.

Kohli will surpass all if he wants to. On his way to the greatness, he might win few more world cups and could reach a phase where he might be satisfied with 3 50over world cup trophies. His 2nd or 3rd  world cup win could come at a time when he is not too far away from breaking all Test and ODI records. He might break break everyone's heart and might just end his career right there instead of going for breaking the records which could be pending. That to me will be the day I will vote for him here the greatest ever, even though he won't have all the records. 

16 hours ago, randomGuy said:

If there were 2 votes possible, I would vote for kohli and dhoni...but if 1 has to be chosen, then it's kohli probably slightly ahead of dhoni.

Neither of them has won a series in Aus though, winning at home we always did. Dhoni was amazng in WC final but without Sachin's semi we would not have won either. I really dont like the habit of putting down previous players just to big current ones

41 minutes ago, New guy said:

Neither of them has won a series in Aus though, winning at home we always did. Dhoni was amazng in WC final but without Sachin's semi we would not have won either. I really dont like the habit of putting down previous players just to big current ones

I don't like that either...but kohli is so far ahead of sachin in ODIs that it's not even a contest. And however good sachin was, he was massively overrated (only by Indians).