Youngsters aping Kohli's actions 'worries me' - Dravid

maniac

For Full article see below link

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/21227129/youngsters-aping-virat-kohli-actions-worries-rahul-dravid

The impact of Virat Kohli's in-your-face persona on young, impressionable cricketers is a cause for concern for Rahul Dravid. The former India captain feared aping Kohli's aggressive words and approach might lead to youngsters not being authentic to themselves.

While Dravid admitted to cringing at some "outrageous" things Kohli says on occasions, he also defended him by saying that so long as he was true to himself, and it helped get the best out of him it shouldn't matter.

"I think the game is still about performance. So let's not take that way from someone like Kohli," Dravid said at the Bangalore Literature Festival on Sunday. "That's his personality. People have asked me, 'Why didn't you behave like that?' But that's not what got the best out of me. I would have been inauthentic to myself if I had tried to put tattoos and behave like Virat.

"Sometimes, especially before an Australia series, you'll find Virat saying the most outrageous things. And I read the paper and cringe at times. But then I think back, maybe he actually wants that contest. He wants that lip on the field because that gets the best out of him. Now that might not be everyone's cup of tea. But at the end of the day, he's got to do what gets the best out of him. Ajinkya Rahane is very different and he gets the best out of himself by doing different things. I think being authentic to yourself is very, very important.

"If engaging in a contest, sometimes needling the opposition, is getting the best out of Virat - and it certainly is because his level of performance is second to none in the world today - then so be it. You can't blame him for it.

"What worries me a little bit is a lot of that gets translated into junior cricket. That's the scary thing for me, not so much what Virat does. Kids at 12, 13, 14 want to become the next Virat Kohli, not realising that maybe that's not authentic to who they are."

During the Test series against Australia earlier this year, Kohli took on Steven Smith and alleged systematic DRS abuse. He also said his relationship with the Australia players was irrevocably damaged. Dravid was happy that cricketers today were a far more confident lot and that the financial security that came with playing the game even at a lower level empowered them.

"

"When I look at a lot of the India A guys or Under-19 guys that I coach, I can see the fearlessness and confidence. It also comes with a certain level of financial security. For me, as a 21-22-year old, I knew that the B.Com degree I barely managed to get in college wasn't going to suffice, and I needed to make cricket work. 

Dravid, however, had one cautionary note for young players: they don't need a player agent until the time they reach a high standard of cricket. "One of the things I like to tell young cricketers is that you don't really need an agent. Okay, a Virat Kohli or a Mahendra Singh Dhoni today needs an agent because if they have to focus on their cricket and play at that high level, they need to ensure that somebody else is looking after their finances," he said. "They don't want to be chasing their dates, or chasing people for money that is owed. But at the younger age of 17, 18 and 19, having agents is definitely not necessary. I don't see any big hoarding of a 17 or 18-year old. 

Dravid works with junior players and he is reacting to what he sees.

He makes sense. Not all youngsters are that smart and sensible. A lot get carried away by external stuff that doesn't matter.

Kohli is a great player. He was destined to be great. A lot of younsters don't have it in them to be virat. A lot are not sensible enough to understand that virat was being himself when he was brash and in your face. Copying him will not make them virat. They have to find what works for them.

18 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

virat has been smart enough not to go over the edge till now,lot of kids are silly and ruin themselves ,if they follow his fitness or dress n hairstyle then thats fine.

Even virat has mentioned  that success went to his head initially and he course corrected to the right track.

Some kids don't realise till it is too late.

We do have one who chose to write his under 19 wc success memoirs instead of working at his game and improving himself as a cricketer......or may be that was him being true to his real self:p:.

Edited by beetle
40 minutes ago, Khota said:

I have no problem with Kohli how he reacts> he needs to win.

But this is what I dont want to see. Laughing after screwing up in CT. What a loser.

Image result for kohli after ct laughing

Gotta give respect to Kohli. He maned up and showed his class. Hopefully other Indians follow suit. Almost made it impossible to bash India when this guy took a loss like a man. Very few will cheer with you when you win. 

14 minutes ago, beetle said:

Even virat has mentioned  that success went to his head initially and he course corrected to the right track.

Some kids don't realise till it is too late.

We do have one who chose to write his under 19 wc success memoirs instead of working at his game and improving himself as a cricketer......or may be that was him being true to his real self:p:.

Was it Chand?

10 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Gotta give respect to Kohli. He maned up and showed his class. Hopefully other Indians follow suit. Almost made it impossible to bash India when this guy took a loss like a man. Very few will cheer with you when you win. 

Yes thats why our padosi players fear of going back to their Homeland, after such loses.

1 minute ago, Nonbeliever said:

Yes thats why our padosi players fear of going back to their Homeland, after such loses.

Believe me if we end up losing to you guys I would not mind if Shoiab Malik laughs with your men. He does it anyway when he goes to India with his wife.

17 minutes ago, Nonbeliever said:

We are habitual of winning and beating u.  Loses do not come naturally to us.

Well soon you will get used to taking losses. ;)

13 minutes ago, beetle said:

Yes

You will not understand .

You're right I will never understand politics with cricket. But you have the right to believe.

15 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Well soon you will get used to taking losses. ;)

You're right I will never understand politics with cricket. But you have the right to believe.

Yeah....it is just politics. Nothing to do with training and sending terrorists to kill us.

1 minute ago, beetle said:

Yeah....it is just politics. Nothing to do with training and sending terrorists to kill us.

Killing happens in both sides don't make it sound one sided. Cricket is just a sport what ever happens in your country has nothing to do with cricket. Its sad you don't enjoy it like you should. Instead look for political points. I am sure this is why people commit sucide after these games. Its just stupid.

1 hour ago, Shaz1 said:

Killing happens in both sides don't make it sound one sided. Cricket is just a sport what ever happens in your country has nothing to do with cricket. Its sad you don't enjoy it like you should. Instead look for political points. I am sure this is why people commit sucide after these games. Its just stupid.

LMAO at the attempt of both sides. Everyone know which country harbored Bin Laden, Dawood Ibrahim and lets the like of Hafiz Saeed walk free.