Pray that Vijay comes good in 2018

Gollum

I may sound like an alarmist but reality check time. I know this ODI team is different from our test team but still Jinx is in poor form, Che is unproven, Kohli is vulnerable against swing, 2nd opener is too flashy (even Rahul plays too many shots early on for my liking), Rohit is mediocre and our WK+lower order can't do much like they do in the SC. It is either Vijay or bust. We need the 2013-15 Vijay who was one of the best leavers of the cricket ball and an excellent judge of the off stump. He may not score daddy 100s but even his 70s and 80s will consume 200+balls and can grind down the opposition quicks. He is capable of playing 60-70 balls even if he scores only 20 like he did last time, that will be key. I don't have much expectations from our 2nd opener and Che isn't Vijay level in those conditions. We have to ensure Kohli doesn't come to the crease before 25 overs else our middle order will be very vulnerable. I can stick out my neck and say that if we do well this time it will be mainly because of Vijay and if Vijay flops we have 0% chance in at least SA and Eng (I expect Rahul to do better in AUS). Historically our batting has done well overseas when one opener has clicked and this time it will be no different. 

Pujara can also grind but comes to a complete grind, it’s like effing clutch is broken and doesn’t engage into 2nd gear

Vijay grinds and ticks along

It will be shocking if Dhawan starts

has to be Lokesh and Vijay

Edited by chewy
4 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Rohit and Dhawan have nicely demonstrated why they shouldn't be in the playing XI for the first test in SA.  

Btw, Bumrah has shown why he should.  

@Cricketics

Yes Bumrah is a must and so are Rahane, Rahul. 

Regarding Vijay, he will be tested like many but he is a proven performer and I hope he can score consistently there as that can solve lot of problems for us.

6 minutes ago, chewy said:

Seeing the way Matthews is playing

just shows the lack of quality in Rohit and Dhawan, two most over rated (overhyped) Indian players in recent times

IF you saw how kuldeep batted against Lakmal and Pradeep, you would be embarrassed to watch Dhawan bat. 

10 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

I think he will be fine. It is Rahanes form that is the most concerning.

The point is if our top 3 flunk badly the form of our middle order will be a moot point. If we expose Kohli and Rahane to the brand new cherry we won't be able to compete in the match, if Kohli walks in at 110/2 (40 overs) we can get match winning totals. 

6 minutes ago, Gollum said:

The point is if our top 3 flunk badly the form of our middle order will be a moot point. If we expose Kohli and Rahane to the brand new cherry we won't be able to compete in the match, if Kohli walks in at 110/2 (40 overs) we can get match winning totals. 

Which is why Dhawan shouldn't open.  

2 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Which is why Dhawan shouldn't open.  

100% agree. But I think even Rahul will struggle in SA and Eng. He plays too many shots early on, jabs at the ball and isn't a great leaver. I totally expect our 2nd opener to have a torrid time in SA/Eng and Che must step up. I don't care if Che doesn't impose himself on the bowlers as our so called aggressive team management expects him to, he should just grind and grind and grind. You can't play many shots and get away with it in the 1st 20-30 overs and Kohli must realize this, he shouldn't pressurize Pujara for quick runs. I would take a 50/2 start in 30 overs than 60/2 in 15 overs because the more we blunt the new ball the more freely the middle order can play. Our 2 wins in SA have come on the back of such gritty batting and not expansive flashy batting that some want us to do. By batting time we also explore the possibilities of a draw which isn't a bad result at all, in fact it will piss our opponents no end. 

On 12/10/2017 at 6:53 AM, Gollum said:

100% agree. But I think even Rahul will struggle in SA and Eng. He plays too many shots early on, jabs at the ball and isn't a great leaver. I totally expect our 2nd opener to have a torrid time in SA/Eng and Che must step up. I don't care if Che doesn't impose himself on the bowlers as our so called aggressive team management expects him to, he should just grind and grind and grind. You can't play many shots and get away with it in the 1st 20-30 overs and Kohli must realize this, he shouldn't pressurize Pujara for quick runs. I would take a 50/2 start in 30 overs than 60/2 in 15 overs because the more we blunt the new ball the more freely the middle order can play. Our 2 wins in SA have come on the back of such gritty batting and not expansive flashy batting that some want us to do. By batting time we also explore the possibilities of a draw which isn't a bad result at all, in fact it will piss our opponents no end. 

with klr, it's a matter of him honing his skills. the kid has sufficient ability. unlike dhawan or Rohit.

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

We saw a live demo of what happens when Vijay's brain decides to take a leave, we saw the full gory movie play out in the final 3 tests of UK 2014. The OP has fantastic cricket acumen and brilliant analytical skills :adore:.

good job OP. let's hope that vijay keeps up this "form" for the next 3 tests. this will bring kohli to the crease (since dhawan will fall anyway) and expose his weaknesses.

Some of you dont realize how badly Virat has messed this up , again let me clarify this is got nothing to do with Dhoni before anyone pounces on me . MS could have done a few things differently and may be we could have won and drawn a few more matches on our last tour , agreed and lets leave it at that. 

if you have to look at the positives from those tours though..the batting was maturing into a world class unit gradually , all but one batsmen in VJ where young had a a couple of good overseas tours experience and infact had done better than anyone had expected off them .

Rahane was brilliant everywhere , Virat had only England to prove himself , VJ another bat who was finally playing to his potential was one of the best openers around , A youngster in KL showing enuf to be a long term option . So thats 4 batting slots fixed and add to that 5th spot was Pujara who did fail in few away matches , but not the worst player to be in your team . How many teams immediately after having lost 3-4 of their ATG batting legends get lucky like this ? We had a full batting unit which could have played for next 7-10 years . 

18 months later where are we ? after having played non-stop at home we should have identified 1-2 more youngsters who could be ready replacements and push the guys in the squad , thats what would have happened normally under any past captain I can think off  .. but instead VJ has been in and out ,  KL is out , Rahane is out ? We have a situation not one batting spot but for Virats is settled now. 

The musical chairs will continue  , I feel the scapegoats will be conveniently again VJ ..KL will come in with the pressure to perform again ..irrespective of who survives by the end of series , I dont see a positive coming out of here.  

9 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

Some of you dont realize how badly Virat has messed this up , again let me clarify this is got nothing to do with Dhoni before anyone pounces on me . MS could have done a few things differently and may be we could have won and drawn a few more matches on our last tour , agreed and lets leave it at that. 

if you have to look at the positives from those tours though..the batting was maturing into a world class unit gradually , all but one batsmen in VJ where young had a a couple of good overseas tours experience and infact had done better than anyone had expected off them .

Rahane was brilliant everywhere , Virat had only England to prove himself , VJ another bat who was finally playing to his potential was one of the best openers around , A youngster in KL showing enuf to be a long term option . So thats 4 batting slots fixed and add to that 5th spot was Pujara who did fail in few away matches , but not the worst player to be in your team . How many teams immediately after having lost 3-4 of their ATG batting legends get lucky like this ? We had a full batting unit which could have played for next 7-10 years . 

18 months later where are we ? after having played non-stop at home we should have identified 1-2 more youngsters who could be ready replacements and push the guys in the squad , thats what would have happened normally under any past captain I can think off  .. but instead VJ has been in and out ,  KL is out , Rahane is out ? We have a situation not one batting spot but for Virats is settled now. 

The musical chairs will continue  , I feel the scapegoats will be conveniently again VJ ..KL will come in with the pressure to perform again ..irrespective of who survives by the end of series , I dont see a positive coming out of here.  

How many times in his entire captaincy career has MSD played 4 Fast bowlers and 5 batsmen?

He would have gone with both Jadeja and Ashwin.

anyway stop comparing every flaw of Virat with MSD would have done this and that...MSD has had his share of blunders in his tenure...is memory really that short for fans?  

1 hour ago, maniac said:

How many times in his entire captaincy career has MSD played 4 Fast bowlers and 5 batsmen?

He would have gone with both Jadeja and Ashwin.

anyway stop comparing every flaw of Virat with MSD would have done this and that...MSD has had his share of blunders in his tenure...is memory really that short for fans?  

on your first point , just playing 4 fast bowlers and 5 batsmen is not necessarily great captaincy . it was pretty dumb on these pitches , it cost us the match here . We never needed to play 4 fast bowlers at home and away no captain had the luxury of a bowling AR , which Virat has . MS had binny and he played him in England , thats how desperate indian captains have been for AR's . Lets not make this out to be some masterstroke .

you should read again what I have posted .I have clarified this is not a comparison , neither am I defending Dhoni here .  

The point is about the long term damage Virats choices caused to the batting linup which without his intervention was nicely maturing into a world class unit . Had Ganguly dropped VVS after his initial struggles , replaced Dravid for scoring slow with every given opportunity ..we would have lost 2 great players . 

Have allways maintained that pathetic Kohli can never garner support of his team mates to give 110%. And hence, when going gets tough, they will pass on the load to him.

Only solution is, relieve him from captaincy in all formats

Edited by mishra