How long will Vijay play test cricket?

24 minutes ago, The Dark Horse said:

May be, but if you think Kohli doesn't have workload you must be kidding.

He is a professional. Someone like Vijay would love to have a workload like him.  It is far easier for Kohli than Vijay to maintain his form because he is regularly playing. Once you get breaks, it gets very difficult to get into the form back.

People shouldn't be slaves to stats. Vijay may seem to have declined in the last 2-3 years but that is where you have to look beneath his scores. Against SA in 2015 on bunsens, when the series was alive it was Vijay and Pujara who played the best. They might not have got 100s but in such low scoring matches they managed to distinguish themselves from rest of the batsmen. Rahane boosted his stats when the series was over but he did nothing in Mohali and Nagpur. Similarly Kohli was a complete failure in that series. Against NZ again Che and Vijay scored vital knocks but unfortunately the latter couldn't boost his stats. Against England in Rajkot if not for that mammoth stand between Vijay and Che we would have lost the test because Poms had a mental grip on us coming into that match. He scored 2 100s in that series even though it is true that he was inconsistent. Against Australia he batted with a broken wrist (Dhawan, Gambhir would have chickened out if they were in his place, judging by past events) and scored double the runs in 1 innings in Ranchi than what Kohli managed in 6 completed innings !!!! Stats are suggestive, so you need to have watched the matches instead of drawing conclusions based on scorecards and statsguru. He failed in SA I agree but if one can't value his 25 odd runs in 30+ overs in the only match we won then that person simply doesn't understand test cricket. 

I see a trend where some posters are running down guys like Vijay, Che, Rahul, Ashwin, Saha, Jadeja, Shami etc but they all have played big roles in our ruthless pursuit to no 1 position, we have clobbered teams the way Indian cricket has never seen before. We have such a comfortable lead over no 2 spot similar to how the ATG Aussies had, this provides more breathing space in overseas tours. And these same guys will deliver in England, just have to trust this current bunch. Some may choose to believe that we have Gavaskars, Laras, Sangas and Warnes waiting in the wings who are being denied a chance in the test squad but trust me that is not the case. Test cricketers don't fall from the heavens and certainly not some of these high quality talents we are so blessed to have atm. These 15-20 people who have represented us in tests these last 3 years are the best we got and they are the best in the world. FFS stop moaning and back the boys, we used to have genuinely **** teams in the 90s that would make fools out of themselves consistently but they never had this much scrutiny and criticism. Surprisingly the ODI and T20 teams don't attract this much attention when they have been an embarrassment these last 4-5 years while our test team has always been top of the charts winning and retaining the ICC Mace.

Edited by Gollum
4 hours ago, Gollum said:

People shouldn't be slaves to stats. Vijay may seem to have declined in the last 2-3 years but that is where you have to look beneath his scores. Against SA in 2015 on bunsens, when the series was alive it was Vijay and Pujara who played the best. They might not have got 100s but in such low scoring matches they managed to distinguish themselves from rest of the batsmen. Rahane boosted his stats when the series was over but he did nothing in Mohali and Nagpur. Similarly Kohli was a complete failure in that series. Against NZ again Che and Vijay scored vital knocks but unfortunately the latter couldn't boost his stats. Against England in Rajkot if not for that mammoth stand between Vijay and Che we would have lost the test because Poms had a mental grip on us coming into that match. He scored 2 100s in that series even though it is true that he was inconsistent. Against Australia he batted with a broken wrist (Dhawan, Gambhir would have chickened out if they were in his place, judging by past events) and scored double the runs in 1 innings in Ranchi than what Kohli managed in 6 completed innings !!!! Stats are suggestive, so you need to have watched the matches instead of drawing conclusions based on scorecards and statsguru. He failed in SA I agree but if one can't value his 25 odd runs in 30+ overs in the only match we won then that person simply doesn't understand test cricket. 

I see a trend where some posters are running down guys like Vijay, Che, Rahul, Ashwin, Saha, Jadeja, Shami etc but they all have played big roles in our ruthless pursuit to no 1 position, we have clobbered teams the way Indian cricket has never seen before. We have such a comfortable lead over no 2 spot similar to how the ATG Aussies had, this provides more breathing space in overseas tours. And these same guys will deliver in England, just have to trust this current bunch. Some may choose to believe that we have Gavaskars, Laras, Sangas and Warnes waiting in the wings who are being denied a chance in the test squad but trust me that is not the case. Test cricketers don't fall from the heavens and certainly not some of these high quality talents we are so blessed to have atm. These 15-20 people who have represented us in tests these last 3 years are the best we got and they are the best in the world. FFS stop moaning and back the boys, we used to have genuinely **** teams in the 90s that would make fools out of themselves consistently but they never had this much scrutiny and criticism. Surprisingly the ODI and T20 teams don't attract this much attention when they have been an embarrassment these last 4-5 years while our test team has always been top of the charts winning and retaining the ICC Mace.

Agree with all your points but beginning to lose patience with Pujara. Agree that he has the capability but if he can’t score against county sides then I’m afraid he’s hopeless abroad. He can prove himself on A tours and get back to the team.

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He is a professional. Someone like Vijay would love to have a workload like him.  It is far easier for Kohli than Vijay to maintain his form because he is regularly playing. Once you get breaks, it gets very difficult to get into the form back.

As much as Kohli likes it, there’s a tipping point for his body and even he has mentioned it recently. Vijay, given his age I’m happy that he has one format to focus on rather than playing meaningless T20s which is a good thing in my opinion. He can engage himself by playing county if needed.

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

Agree with all your points but beginning to lose patience with Pujara. Agree that he has the capability but if he can’t score against county sides then I’m afraid he’s hopeless abroad. He can prove himself on A tours and get back to the team.

I don't want Che to be a starter in SENA countries just like I don't want to see Rahane's Kathakali on Indian pitches. Coming to Pujara I included his name because I felt he is being derided a lot on this forum of late. He played a huge role in our home domination and we need to give credit where due, I haven't even seen Fab 4 consistently play so many high quality, clutch knocks against spin the way Pujara has. Let us give credit where due and not hate on him because he is failing overseas, he is a trier and his 200 ball 50 in Jo'berg showed that trait. It is up to the management to judge the ability of players like Che, Rahane, Dhawan, Ashwin, Jaddu, Bhuvi, Shami etc and adopt the 'horses for courses' policy.

Edited by Gollum

Hopefully this is the last we see of him. In fact our top 3 needs to face the consequence of these continuous screw ups. I want to see Shaw-Rahul-Gill occupy these positions in Australia...KLR gets some extra leeway because of age. Vijay shouldn't ever don whites for India again while Dhawan should stick to ODI cricket.