FAO Test Cricket fans

Test cricket is very much alive and kicking. However bilateral ODI's need to be done away with. Just keep Champions Trophy and World Cup around or may be the odd Asia cup.

Thank god for my perfecting Yoga or else could have easily pulled all my teeth and hair out after the recent Ind-Eng ODI series.

48 minutes ago, Global.Baba said:

Test cricket is very much alive and kicking. However bilateral ODI's need to be done away with. Just keep Champions Trophy and World Cup around or may be the odd Asia cup.

Thank god for my perfecting Yoga or else could have easily pulled all my teeth and hair out after the recent Ind-Eng ODI series.

No need to do away with bilateral ODIs, just need to provide more context. Atm we don't know what we are playing for, we play some teams frequently (boredom) whilst not facing other teams for long spells of time. Also unlike football/hockey the field is so small that there is not much intrigue (and never will be unless cricket expands) over WC qualification...more or less we know the same teams will play all WCs.

I wish we adopt a similar system like the World Hockey League (or a more extensive version of the upcoming World Test C'ship). Make all top 8 teams play each other at least once over a 2 year cycle and in the end play a 5 match ODI series (2 home/2 away/1 neutral) between the top 2 teams to crown the winner. As incentive league topper can be given a headstart by playing the 1st 2 matches in its home venues + special bonus prize. That will keep the fans interested...min 3 ODIs, max jitna chaahe. Similarly conduct a parallel league (2nd division) with 8 teams and introduce promotion/relegation concept so that 2 new teams from 2nd division get promoted every edition. World Hockey League had a different format because there are many good hockey teams compared to cricket..still we can borrow that concept and do things a bit differently. With such a situation no top 8 team can afford to take things lightly and associate teams will have real motivation to do well, because promotion->games with top boys->more $$$$ and experience->overall improvement in standard of cricket. If we are to widen the reach of cricket and take baby steps towards making it a global sport we need to do this.

Start off with this

Tier I: Eng, Ind, RSA, NZ, Pak, Aus, BD, Lanka

Tier II: WI, AFG, Zim, Ire, Sco, Ned, UAE, Nepal 

This way we can minimize ODI cricket but at the same time provide context as well as build up to the WC. CT is now history but we can have a more inclusive system in place where more followers will be invested in the matches. Consider India, we will have to play 7 teams over 2 years...BD/Lanka ke khilaf 3 match series and 5 each (or more if boards get greedy) against other teams-> 30-35 ODI matches over 2 years. Throw in an Asia Cup in between and we will play around 20-22 ODIs per year. I would suggest a similar system for T20 with even wider participation but that format is flourishing as it is...besides so many T20 leagues and frequent WT20 is overkill. 

Edited by Gollum
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

No need to do away with bilateral ODIs, just need to provide more context. Atm we don't know what we are playing for, we play some teams frequently (boredom) whilst not facing other teams for long spells of time. Also unlike football/hockey the field is so small that there is not much intrigue (and never will be unless cricket expands) over WC qualification...more or less we know the same teams will play all WCs.

I wish we adopt a similar system like the World Hockey League (or a more extensive version of the upcoming World Test C'ship). Make all top 8 teams play each other at least once over a 2 year cycle and in the end play a 5 match ODI series (2 home/2 away/1 neutral) between the top 2 teams to crown the winner. That will keep the fans interested...min 3 ODIs, max jitna chaahe. Similarly conduct a parallel league (2nd division) with 8 teams and introduce promotion/relegation concept so that 2 new teams from 2nd division get promoted every edition. World Hockey League had a different format because there are many good hockey teams compared to cricket..still we can borrow that concept and do things a bit differently. With such a situation no top 8 team can afford to take things lightly and associate teams will have real motivation to do well, because promotion->games with top boys->more $$$$ and experience->overall improvement in standard of cricket. If we are to widen the reach of cricket and take baby steps towards making it a global sport we need to do this.

Start off with this

Tier I: Eng, Ind, RSA, NZ, Pak, Aus, BD, Lanka

Tier II: WI, AFG, Zim, Ire, Sco, Ned, UAE, Nepal 

This way we can minimize ODI cricket but at the same time provide context as well as build up to the WC. CT is now history but we can have a more inclusive system in place where more followers will be invested in the matches. Consider India, we will have to play 7 teams over 2 years...BD/Lanka ke khilaf 3 match series and 5 each (or more if boards get greedy) against other teams-> 30-35 ODI matches over 2 years. Throw in an Asia Cup in between and we will play around 20-22 ODIs per year. I would suggest a similar system for T20 with even wider participation but that format is flourishing as it is...besides so many T20 leagues and frequent WT20 is overkill. 

I am ok with bilateral T20's. T20's usually reduce the gulf in quality of sides. For example Afghanistan,Bangladesh can run teams a lot closer in T20's than in a ODI game. Same goes for Westindies,Srilanka and Zimbabwe.

I can't recollect the last great bilateral ODI series I witnessed. The closest was the Ind-Nzl one last year.