I would not play Bumrah in England: Michael Holding

Yea drop the best and fastest bowler from the squad, what the hell is this bitter dork smoking??bumrah can't move the ball away from right handers but at that pace even if some balls hold its line wll be lethal, also there are 5 lefties in English team  so he can move it away from them.

Edited by speedheat

My picks would be Bhuvi, Navdeep Saini, Bumrah & Shami. Also would pick Ashwin / Pandya.

My line up would be

Vijay

DK / Parthiv

Rahul

Pujara

Kohli

Rahane

Pandya / Ashwin

BK

Shami

Saini

Bumrah

First 4 bats (VJ, PP, Rahul & Puj) would wear out the new ball. Kohli, Rahane & Pandya / Ashwin can then rebuild & counter attack.

Edited by chapetmarunga
16 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

Lords will be a road. Pick both Ash and Jaddu

Here is what I think will be offered to us.

1. Edbaston will be a very balanced wicket where England will measure our pace battery vs theirs.

2. At Lords they would like our pace battery to bowl at them for 3 or more days. So they will either bat twice Or make a huge total in one inning.

3. Depending upon fitness/injuries to our pace battery, Trent bridge will change. Most often then not, English team expects a pace bowler injured or not 100% fit in last part of tour.

He does have a point. We do need one more swing bowler in the setup. Swing is the key in England.  why did we struggle in 2011 and 2014 in bowling?  Ishant and Shami were there last time but none of the two swings the ball. You will need two swing bowlers and one quick pace bowler at least either Shami or Bumrah and if your second swing bowler can hit good pace too when needed then it is even better.  If we had two BKs in 2014, we would have done far better.  We have 2-3 candidates for swing bowler Sandeep Sharma who will be rendered useless once the ball gets old as he wont cross 130, second is Deepak Chahar who bowls as quick as BK, third is Navdeep Saini who is taller than the two and quicker and he can hit 140 plus when required.  He can do both things swing and hit the deck when required.

25 minutes ago, adi B said:

Mikey in his mind is still stuck with the traditional english pitches .pitches in england have become more drier and uneven in the last 5 years or so ,the nature has changed ,bumrah would come good with the old ball .

irrespective of that swing bowlers still rule in England.  BK in 2014, PK in 2011 were our best bowlers.  

2 hours ago, goose said:

I'd play Bhuvi, Shami, Bumrah + Ashwin

I think its a toss-up for that 3rd pacer slot between Ishant and Bumrah, with my personal bias leaning towards Bumrah.   Ishant has proven himself to be a viable 3rd pacer, a valuable one at that.  And one can even make the argument that he's better in terms of restricting scoring in that role than Bumrah.  Btw Goosy, before the series started, we had a brief discussion on Ishant vs Umesh, and historical biases against Ishant notwitstanding - which I also share btw - one has to acknowledge Ishant's contributions in T2 and T3.  

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

He does have a point. We do need one more swing bowler in the setup. Swing is the key in England.  why did we struggle in 2011 and 2014 in bowling?  Ishant and Shami were there last time but none of the two swings the ball. You will need two swing bowlers and one quick pace bowler at least either Shami or Bumrah and if your second swing bowler can hit good pace too when needed then it is even better.  If we had two BKs in 2014, we would have done far better.  We have 2-3 candidates for swing bowler Sandeep Sharma who will be rendered useless once the ball gets old as he wont cross 130, second is Deepak Chahar who bowls as quick as BK, third is Navdeep Saini who is taller than the two and quicker and he can hit 140 plus when required.  He can do both things swing and hit the deck when required.

BK is better bowler in 2018, If Bhumrah is fit throughout the series, He will be as good as what he did in Africa. Guy is hungry. Hope that he keeps valuing test cricket and dont go Agent Nehra way.

I would play Bumrah. Bumrah has the variations which can trouble England.

I would actually play the same bowling line up as the 3rd test barring barring Ishant, whom I might replace with Saini may be.

Shami-Bhuvi can be used as swing or seam option, so we got our bases covered. You don't need four freakin swing bowlers just because conditon offer swing. You want someone different. Bumrah is that different bowler.

Time to back Bumrah in test. He has done well. 

Bumrah probably lacks skill sets needed. But he is intense. Gives it 100% . We miss left arm swing bowler here. Too bad we only have righties and also they are not genuine swing bowlers. Outswing bowling is essential not just in England but everywhere. Only outswing bowlers bring slips into action more than other types of bowlers. Left arm bowlers have natural angle. Having said that England has few left handlers as well. Root will be stuck on back foot and play our bowlers all day. So we need a bowler who can bowl some Yorkers from time to time. That is where shami bhumra can be handy.

20 minutes ago, sandeep said:

I think its a toss-up for that 3rd pacer slot between Ishant and Bumrah, with my personal bias leaning towards Bumrah.   Ishant has proven himself to be a viable 3rd pacer, a valuable one at that.  And one can even make the argument that he's better in terms of restricting scoring in that role than Bumrah.  Btw Goosy, before the series started, we had a brief discussion on Ishant vs Umesh, and historical biases against Ishant notwitstanding - which I also share btw - one has to acknowledge Ishant's contributions in T2 and T3.  

But Ishant was 4th pacer in last test, not third.

11 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ Replace Ishant with a wrist spinner. England pitches do help spinner too. If only he is good. + There are so many lft handed bats in English side

It depends from ground to ground. Yes, we will need spinner eventually as not every ground we can go without a spinner. There are 5 tests with 5 different grounds so we will surely change the bowling line up as per the ground. Plus I do not exepect Shami to play all 5 test matches due to his fitness.