Players cannot be forced to play for country over franchise - Ramdin

velu

"It's all about putting food on your table," Ramdin said. "The players are good enough to be taken by a team in another part of the world, then I can't stop a player who's out there to improve.

"But yes, it's difficult to build a team given the current scenario when you look at our World T20 players. They're in demand all over the world, so yes, we're suffering in that aspect. Our senior players did not turn up for the tour, and that's one of the reasons why we're 2-0 down in this series."

1158745_1296x729.jpg&w=920&h=518&scale=c

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25231514/players-cannot-forced-play-country-franchise-denesh-ramdin

:dance:

It really depends what you want as a player - money or legacy. Franchise cricket can surely make you rich but history book will put you in garbage pin. ABDV will always be remembered as a coward who ran away leaving his international team just 8 months before WC. A talent like him will earn hell lot of money by playing all leagues around the world but he will never be a legend of the game like Kohli who puts test cricket before anything else.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

It really depends what you want as a player - money or legacy. Franchise cricket can surely make you rich but history book will put you in garbage pin. ABDV will always be remembered as a coward who ran away leaving his international team just 8 months before WC. A talent like him will earn hell lot of money by playing all leagues around the world but he will never be a legend of the game like Kohli who puts test cricket before anything else.

Don't think he is a coward he said all the cricket and international tours and travelling and being away from his family was taking its toll on him and he was running out of steam so he decided to quit I see nothing wrong with it.If he feels he won't be able to give 100% for his team then I feel he did the right thing by retiring.As it is with him SA team has failed to win the big one.

Don't think he is a coward he said all the cricket and international tours and travelling and being away from his family was taking its toll on him and he was running out of steam so he decided to quit I see nothing wrong with it.If he feels he won't be able to give 100% for his team then I feel he did the right thing by retiring.As it is with him SA team has failed to win the big one.
Yes cribbed about travelling/family etc. but signed up for PSL the next day :cantstop:

AB was in last few years of his prime. And he wanted to utilize that remaining prime by playing league cricket and earning money. Rest all travelling, toll on body etc is hogwash. There is absolutely nothing wrong in it if a player wants to earn money by choosing league cricket over country. But they will never be ATGs.

8 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Yes cribbed about travelling/family etc. but signed up for PSL the next day :cantstop:

AB was in last few years of his prime. And he wanted to utilize that remaining prime by playing league cricket and earning money. Rest all travelling, toll on body etc is hogwash. There is absolutely nothing wrong in it if a player wants to earn money by choosing league cricket over country. But they will never be ATGs.

Not a hogwash bro it can happen he is a human after all and in Psl he is only there for two weeks in Uae won’t play in Pakistan.He missed the England Test series as well and was picking and choosing games.If he felt he won’t be able to give his best for national team he did the right thing.

40 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Really? If BCCI was never that rich or kohli was playing for other country he would have done same stuff like AB did. Kohli already gets alot money from BCCI for all formats + brand endorsements and other stuff are there. You can say about old era players playing for passion compared with current era who care more for money.

Edited by Nikola
25 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

The problem with AB was his back issues. You never knew if he could even last a year with back.

Cricket is also turning into a soccer like scenario where all the excitement is in club soccer and players turn up to represent their country for world cup, regional tournament etc. There's nothing wrong with that. Players have families to feed.

Not really. In soccer, 1 player plays only for 1 club at a time which builds up loyalty. Lionel Messi perhaps as much loyal to Barca as he is for Argentina. Fans can relate to its players and builds a connection. Hence the concept of Champions league etc works perfectly in football. 

In cricket Gayle plays for RCB today, next day he is doing gangam style for Barishar Bulls, suddenly the next week he is an opener for Melbourne Renegades, then for Lahore Laundas etc etc. I have even forgotten how many teams Yuvi changed in IPL. So as a fan its tough to connect. 1st IPL was brilliant no doubt.

11 minutes ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Not really. In soccer, 1 player plays only for 1 club at a time which builds up loyalty. Lionel Messi perhaps as much loyal to Barca as he is for Argentina. Fans can relate to its players and builds a connection. Hence the concept of Champions league etc works perfectly in football. 

In cricket Gayle plays for RCB today, next day he is doing gangam style for Barishar Bulls, suddenly the next week he is an opener for Melbourne Renegades, then for Lahore Laundas etc etc. I have even forgotten how many teams Yuvi changed in IPL. So as a fan its tough to connect. 1st IPL was brilliant no doubt.

Good point! Since this is still growth phase, I guess players are going overboard with participation in too many leagues.I hope T20 leagues mature and operate in a way which doesnt cannibalise regular cricket series. A player like Gayle can afford to go all over the world as his career is almost at an end. But up and coming cricketers need to first play for their country and establish themselves. 

47 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Unless u play for a bankrupt Zimbabwe board that really doesn't pay much or on time, it must be what Lamborghini I got rather than I need "food on the table". 

Absolutely...this BS from carribean players of bringing food on table.. wonder what happens on those press conferences.. current west indies superstars must be 1000 times richer than the local Jamaican or Trinidad public..

Darren frickin Sammy has an international stadium named after him as a captain who won WI 2 Wt20s.

Sammy is obviously a very useful T20  Franchise player but would never ever have a stadium named after him even if he was one of the highest in demand.

But even though that is a fact all This legacy, patriotism etc sound good on paper. At the end of day where you can make money to secure your future and your family’s future matters. So absolutely agree with Ramdin.

Funny though apart from PSL which franchise is after him that he has to sacrifice national duty? :hmmmm2:

Edited by Global.Baba