maniac

Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

Spillover from the other thread.

Not talking about YouTube videos or legends but guys whom you feared would knock the batsmen’s teeth or hurt them bad.

Ambrose but more for the way he looked and was built but when I started following  cricket seriously I felt  he was just at a trundler pace about 135-140 but was difficult due to his nagging length.

I would go with Alan Donald. The sunscreen, the aggression and the raw pace, was the scariest bowler of my generation.

Shoaib and Lee for the later part had some brutal spells.

Please no Dinda and Vijay Kumar Jokes @The Realist :laugh:

Edited by maniac

I think Archer and Cummins can be that for this generation. Bumrah is fearsome for wicket taking but I think Archer and Cummins will hurt some folk from the T20 move your back leg and swipe generation 

Edited by maniac

Allan donald left an impression as when i started watching cricket he was kind of the 1st one i saw with an aura ....that abusing, sun screen....most importantly he bowled tendulkar an image that stayed with me

Then it was akthar .....his runup ,his build........the fear was always their that he can destroy our lineup. He will definitely be no.1 on this list for me 

Then it was bond.....he started by rattling aussies which was enough to earn a name , then the NZ 2002 tour and in 2005 he made ganguly dance with his pace in videocon tri series 

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

This guy.

92333.2.jpg

the reason i started posting in this website. At his peak he was a lion.

You misunderstood the op. Steyn or for the matter of fact mcgrath etc will run through lineups but I am talking about a bowler capable of hurting batsmen and putting the fear in them like Donald or Shoaib or Lee or Johnson

No doubt,the most fearsome fast bowler of his generation was none other than Akhtar

I remember his spell against us in Kolkata test in Asian test Championship where he picked Tendulkar,Dravid of consecutive deliveries,he instilled fear even in the crowd

But then after Sehwag's arrival things changed ,his brutal assault on Akhtar made us believe he was never that good but the fear factor when he first arrived ,made him look like a demon who can gobble line ups in a spell

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Spillover from the other thread.

Not talking about YouTube videos or legends but guys whom you feared would knock the batsmen’s teeth or hurt them bad.

Ambrose but more for the way he looked and was built but when I started following  cricket seriously I felt  he was just at a trundler pace about 135-140 but was difficult due to his nagging length.

I would go with Alan Donald. The sunscreen, the aggression and the raw pace, was the scariest bowler of my generation.

Shoaib and Lee for the later part had some brutal spells.

Please no Dinda and Vijay Kumar Jokes @The Realist :laugh:

Ambrose was difficult because of the bounce he used to get at 6 feet 7-8 height and high arm action.

For some reason , Jimmy Anderson used to scare the crap out of me back when we toured England in 2007. May be  his run up and action made it seem like he was the fastest bowler in the world and the fact that he always used to get Sachin out. Then I slowly realised that he is medium pace and the fear factor was gone. 

41 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

+++

In their 1983-84 tour of India he made those placid pitches look like cobra's venom.

Indian pitches were not placid in those days. Chennai used to be one of the fastest pitches in 80s. We regularly used to lay out green tops. This changed in 90s onwards when spin friendly pitches were made as Kapil declined and Kumble rose. I remember a former cricketer was talking about during a match. He was saying pitches were more pace friendly in India in 80s. He talked about Botham taking 13-fer in Mumbai in early 80s on a green top.

Edited by rkt.india

4 minutes ago, Norman said:

For some reason , Jimmy Anderson used to scare the crap out of me back when we toured England in 2007. May be  his run up and action made it seem like he was the fastest bowler in the world and the fact that he always used to get Sachin out. Then I slowly realised that he is medium pace and the fear factor was gone. 

He was fast then, was regularly in 86-91 mph range and would swing the ball but not as accurate as he is now.

38 minutes ago, Vk1 said:

Mitchell Johnson in 2013 Ashes was just unplayable with helmets and all those guards that they wear... that highlight reel on Youtube showing his wickets is just an awesome one with that perfect commentary of Mark Nicholas, Slater etc..

He did the same to South Africa in the next series.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Indian pitches were not placid in those days. Chennai used to be one of the fastest pitches in 80s. We regularly used to lay out green tops. This changed in 90s onwards when spin friendly pitches were made as Kapil declined and Kumble rose. I remember a former cricketer was talking about during a match. He was saying pitches were more pace friendly in India in 80s. He talked about Botham taking 13-fer in Mumbai in early 80s on a green top.

Indian pitches were less crumbly back then but still were mostly slow turners by day 3. Kapil notwithstanding, nobody put out green tops against the fearsome foursome of the WI. Unlike you, we actually saw those matches. Indian pitches were definitely not pace friendly when the windies visited and many windies pacers said so themselves.

3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Patrick Patterson was terrifying. 

Merv Hughes and Craig Mcdermott, although they were not fiery fast as I know now, were scary.

Devon Malcom also was mighty scary.

Waqar had it and for sure Shaoib had it.

I remember watching Patrick Patterson break the stumps of some Indian batsman. Scary big guy.

In Australia, I won a competition and got to face an over of Brett Lee.

I asked him to bowl only outside off stump and that was when he was at his peak. That was frightening to say the least. I landed two on the bat, which is easy only because I knew exactly where he would bowl, otherwise it would have been a nightmare to land bat on ball.

The speed is something else. I would hate to imagine if he aimed at the stumps, my body or gave me a bouncer.

Just now, rkt.india said:

He wasn't. His quickest recorded delivery was 152kph. 

That says nothing of his average quickness or as was the case with Devon, an extreme ‘confidence’ bowler, when he felt super confident. In his insane 8-for or 9-for I remember watching, he was bowling at a searing pace and everyone was shocked how hostile and good he was being.

2 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

That says nothing of his average quickness or as was the case with Devon, an extreme ‘confidence’ bowler, when he felt super confident. In his insane 8-for or 9-for I remember watching, he was bowling at a searing pace and everyone was shocked how hostile and good he was being.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html

In a fast bowling competition in 98, Malcom was the winner clocking 141 kph. Also even 152 kph is as quick as most genuine fast bowlers will bowl. I am not saying he wasn't fast but my point was he wasn't Lee, akhtar fast in top pace.

Edited by rkt.india

4 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html

In a fast bowling competition in 98, Malcom was the winner clocking 141 kph. Also even 152 kph is as quick as most genuine fast bowlers will bowl. I am not saying he wasn't fast but my point was he wasn't Lee, akhtar fast in top pace.

Again, 0.001% sample means nothing statistically. Akhtar could barely bowl more than 150kph 3 overs in a trot, for eg. Akhtar had the best top end speed, but if you survived 25 balls against him, he dropped to the low-mid 140s as the man had no stamina to speak of. Lee or Holding on the other hand, maintained their speeds for well over multiple 5-8 over bursts and tiring only after bowling 20 overs or so for a whole damn day.

43 minutes ago, Muloghonto said:

Again, 0.001% sample means nothing statistically. Akhtar could barely bowl more than 150kph 3 overs in a trot, for eg. Akhtar had the best top end speed, but if you survived 25 balls against him, he dropped to the low-mid 140s as the man had no stamina to speak of. Lee or Holding on the other hand, maintained their speeds for well over multiple 5-8 over bursts and tiring only after bowling 20 overs or so for a whole damn day.

Brett Lee bowling visciously in 2003 WC is one of the best bowling I've seen in a prolonged ICC tournament. Regularly clocked 150kmph+ speeds with threatening bouncers fetching him a lot of wickets. The South African pitches really suited him.

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

He wasn't. His quickest recorded delivery was 152kph. 

I think theres a difference between actually seeing someone bowl, and checking stats online. btw, Devon Malcolm was clocked at 156 as his fastest, as far as a I remember. 

Since speed guns werent invogue then, its difficult to say, but Devon was scary as hell and definitely was a 155 k bowler.

3 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

How many bowlers can bowl low-mid 140s as an average pace. You know what the average speed of Johnson in that Ashes 142-143. Even if Akhtar slowed down, his average speed was still higher than most fast bowlers. 

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

No one apart from Lee And Akhtar in last 20 years since proper speed gun use has bowled 150 kph 3 overs on a troat. Your exaggerations are laughable. do you even understand what is 150 kph means. It's 93 mph of average. Only Akhtar and Lee at their peak has done that. That too mostly in LOIs.

Edited by rkt.india

3 hours ago, Turning_track said:

Brett Lee bowling visciously in 2003 WC is one of the best bowling I've seen in a prolonged ICC tournament. Regularly clocked 150kmph+ speeds with threatening bouncers fetching him a lot of wickets. The South African pitches really suited him.

None bowled 20 overs at 150 kph average speed. I can bet even at his worst fitness Akhtar was faster than Holding. I have seen Akhtar hitting 157 kph when opposition is batting at 400 runs.

1 hour ago, Rightarmfast said:

I think theres a difference between actually seeing someone bowl, and checking stats online. btw, Devon Malcolm was clocked at 156 as his fastest, as far as a I remember. 

Since speed guns werent invogue then, its difficult to say, but Devon was scary as hell and definitely was a 155 k bowler.

Even 152 kph is fast by all means. Johnson In that Ashes series wasn't much faster than 152 when he tormented England. You can torment batsmen at 145-150. It depends on pitch and the attitude of a fast bowler.

9 hours ago, Audiophile said:

+++

In their 1983-84 tour of India he made those placid pitches look like cobra's venom.

Holding was no less potent in that series, he took 30 wickets to Marshall's 33.Marshall might  be best fast bowler who ever played the game.

12 hours ago, Suhaan said:

No doubt,the most fearsome fast bowler of his generation was none other than Akhtar

I remember his spell against us in Kolkata test in Asian test Championship where he picked Tendulkar,Dravid of consecutive deliveries,he instilled fear even in the crowd

But then after Sehwag's arrival things changed ,his brutal assault on Akhtar made us believe he was never that good but the fear factor when he first arrived ,made him look like a demon who can gobble line ups in a spell

yeah some who only started post Sehwag/Raina/Dhoni etc arrival would never know that side of Akthar and never knew to respect him. 

Same thing happened with Sachin and Wasim/Waqar. Its like WMD race between Pak and India, in those times pak was relatively not such a a-hole enemy country politically and was good in cricket and we still played cricket.

40 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

No one apart from Lee And Akhtar in last 20 years since proper speed gun use has bowled 150 kph 3 overs on a troat. Your exaggerations are laughable. do you even understand what is 150 kph means. It's 93 mph of average. Only Akhtar and Lee at their peak has done that. That too mostly in LOIs.

Lee is the only guy who did it in test in single spells. I cant remember Akhtar doing that, may be in tests in pak ( pindi ?), But yes only those two could do that for multiple overs. Else its others in ODI 1-2 overs ( tait bond etc)

4 hours ago, R!TTER said:

Well tbf none of the modern day quicks were, even Thommo given that Lee/Shoaib were super quick for at least a decade each & consistently so. I doubt we'll see anyone come regularly close to their pace in our lifetimes.

this has got as much to do with better speed guns as it does with Lee/Akthars freak ability.