Who is the most fearsome fast bowler you have seen

maniac

Spillover from the other thread.

Not talking about YouTube videos or legends but guys whom you feared would knock the batsmen’s teeth or hurt them bad.

Ambrose but more for the way he looked and was built but when I started following  cricket seriously I felt  he was just at a trundler pace about 135-140 but was difficult due to his nagging length.

I would go with Alan Donald. The sunscreen, the aggression and the raw pace, was the scariest bowler of my generation.

Shoaib and Lee for the later part had some brutal spells.

Please no Dinda and Vijay Kumar Jokes @The Realist :laugh:

Edited by maniac

Allan donald left an impression as when i started watching cricket he was kind of the 1st one i saw with an aura ....that abusing, sun screen....most importantly he bowled tendulkar an image that stayed with me

Then it was akthar .....his runup ,his build........the fear was always their that he can destroy our lineup. He will definitely be no.1 on this list for me 

Then it was bond.....he started by rattling aussies which was enough to earn a name , then the NZ 2002 tour and in 2005 he made ganguly dance with his pace in videocon tri series 

3 minutes ago, Vilander said:

This guy.

92333.2.jpg

the reason i started posting in this website. At his peak he was a lion.

You misunderstood the op. Steyn or for the matter of fact mcgrath etc will run through lineups but I am talking about a bowler capable of hurting batsmen and putting the fear in them like Donald or Shoaib or Lee or Johnson

No doubt,the most fearsome fast bowler of his generation was none other than Akhtar

I remember his spell against us in Kolkata test in Asian test Championship where he picked Tendulkar,Dravid of consecutive deliveries,he instilled fear even in the crowd

But then after Sehwag's arrival things changed ,his brutal assault on Akhtar made us believe he was never that good but the fear factor when he first arrived ,made him look like a demon who can gobble line ups in a spell

5 hours ago, maniac said:

Spillover from the other thread.

Not talking about YouTube videos or legends but guys whom you feared would knock the batsmen’s teeth or hurt them bad.

Ambrose but more for the way he looked and was built but when I started following  cricket seriously I felt  he was just at a trundler pace about 135-140 but was difficult due to his nagging length.

I would go with Alan Donald. The sunscreen, the aggression and the raw pace, was the scariest bowler of my generation.

Shoaib and Lee for the later part had some brutal spells.

Please no Dinda and Vijay Kumar Jokes @The Realist :laugh:

Ambrose was difficult because of the bounce he used to get at 6 feet 7-8 height and high arm action.

For some reason , Jimmy Anderson used to scare the crap out of me back when we toured England in 2007. May be  his run up and action made it seem like he was the fastest bowler in the world and the fact that he always used to get Sachin out. Then I slowly realised that he is medium pace and the fear factor was gone. 

41 minutes ago, Audiophile said:

+++

In their 1983-84 tour of India he made those placid pitches look like cobra's venom.

Indian pitches were not placid in those days. Chennai used to be one of the fastest pitches in 80s. We regularly used to lay out green tops. This changed in 90s onwards when spin friendly pitches were made as Kapil declined and Kumble rose. I remember a former cricketer was talking about during a match. He was saying pitches were more pace friendly in India in 80s. He talked about Botham taking 13-fer in Mumbai in early 80s on a green top.

Edited by rkt.india
4 minutes ago, Norman said:

For some reason , Jimmy Anderson used to scare the crap out of me back when we toured England in 2007. May be  his run up and action made it seem like he was the fastest bowler in the world and the fact that he always used to get Sachin out. Then I slowly realised that he is medium pace and the fear factor was gone. 

He was fast then, was regularly in 86-91 mph range and would swing the ball but not as accurate as he is now.