Sign in to follow this  
Ankit_sharma03

Underrated Films Thread

The Edge (1997) - doesn't count among Hopkins' top movies but i love the locations (Alaska prolly)

The Ghost & the Darkness (1996) - Good thriller with Michael Douglas & Val Kilmer, partially true story. Col John Henry Patterson must have been some dogged character. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338263/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The life story of a Muslim boy Moosa Khan who lives in Kashmirpur among extremist Hindu majority 

Credit to Lollywood (should call it lolwood) for sticking to their guns and not being PC in their film making. 

To me underrated films are those that one likes but were not successful (or as successful they should have been) at the BO and/or did not attain much acclaim. If that is the case, many Bollywood films from the 50s-70s such as:

• Prem Pujari - now considered a cult classic
  • Gopi - Dilip Kumar's performance is superb. Was a minor hit 
  • Pakeezah - which picked up to become a hit iirc and recognized for some excellent performances so an exception as it is not 100% underrated 
  • Apradh - Feroz Khan's first directorial effort iirc. It was probably a minor hit but underrated 
  • Mehbooba - One of Rajesh Khanna's better films in the 2nd half of the 70s .... now considered a cult classic too iirc 

Edited by zen

1 hour ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Earned a lot of recognition but still among super deluxe and Kumblangi nights many still dont know about it

I didn’t like it that much. Checked it out after you and sree/enter the void recommended. I thought it was ok. It’s one thing to have unknown actors it’s different when you have amateur actors with no experience. Some actors were below par.

On 7/23/2020 at 10:11 PM, Clarke said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338263/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

The life story of a Muslim boy Moosa Khan who lives in Kashmirpur among extremist Hindu majority 

Credit to Lollywood (should call it lolwood) for sticking to their guns and not being PC in their film making. 

Director, actor Shaan Shahid :hatsoff:, Anurag Kashyap's jigri yaar. 

An unexpected chat with Anurag Kashyap | The Express Tribune

The Judge (2014) - Hollywood wala family oriented film, much diff from our Barjatya ones. Downey Jr & Duvall are terrific. 

Bhagam Bhag (2006) - I find this way funnier than the welcome housefull and whatever other comedies filled theatres in recent years. 

GreedyNegligibleKomododragon.webp

Broken Arrow. Huge fan of the film. Love all the action scenes mainly flying the stealth bomber and stealing the nukes.

Travolta was just out of the world that the director John Woo said this “So charming, but when he’s staring at you he can have the eyes of Satan.”

45 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Tarantino's best IMO, just ahead of Django Unchained. Don't understand why people love hot garbage like RD, PF.

His 2nd best for me. PF still Uber Alles. The dialogue and characters is what makes PF what it is. And PF did that whole post modern. meta, ironic shtick better than any movie back then and any movie since. Which is why it still remains as fresh and influential till date.

On 7/23/2020 at 11:00 PM, maniac said:

Murder 2 :p:

I am sure it’s a copy of some foreign film but the villain in the movie was outstanding and the music was good too :giggle:

I remembered Prashant Narayan the villain in that movie  from Coffee’s post above 

Yes. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

His 2nd best for me. PF still Uber Alles. The dialogue and characters is what makes PF what it is. And PF did that whole post modern. meta, ironic shtick better than any movie back then and any movie since. Which is why it still remains as fresh and influential till date.

Ye RD,PF kya hai??

2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

GreedyNegligibleKomododragon.webp

Broken Arrow. Huge fan of the film. Love all the action scenes mainly flying the stealth bomber and stealing the nukes.

Travolta was just out of the world that the director John Woo said this “So charming, but when he’s staring at you he can have the eyes of Satan.”

Broken Arrow is anything but underrated. During those times when not many Hollywood movies use to get released in India, every college student knew about this movie. 

For me some of the underrated movies are:

Kaun

Raincoat

Udaan

On 7/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, maniac said:

I didn’t like it that much. Checked it out after you and sree/enter the void recommended. I thought it was ok. It’s one thing to have unknown actors it’s different when you have amateur actors with no experience. Some actors were below par.

What part about the movie you didn't like?

I absolutely loved it. It was such a refreshing watch. The plot is top notch.

7G Brindhavan Colony is another good one if you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolU7R2BP4Y

Edited by EnterTheVoid

Allied .... watched it in cinema when it came out and liked it. Vintage Casablanca part is nicely done .... Looks good in HD Blu -ray but the 4K Dolby Vision version brings out the best in it in terms of PQ:

On 7/25/2020 at 10:30 PM, EnterTheVoid said:

What part about the movie you didn't like?

I absolutely loved it. It was such a refreshing watch. The plot is top notch.

7G Brindhavan Colony is another good one if you haven't seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FolU7R2BP4Y

I am not a fan of Romantic dramas that’s were the bias comes from because I went in expecting some kind of a super deluxe type thriller but you are right it was well made film minus the usual over the top gimmicks we see in Telugu movies. Simple story.