Bharat Arun - crony or coach?

1 minute ago, kirkutfan said:

Besides working with the Indian side, he has coached Tamil Nadu, India U 19, India A and at the National Cricket Academy. So he is not a fly by night character. Whoever is making the decision to pick him has access to a long coaching history. 

he could be good as you say. My issue is more on the definition of the role, it is operational basically.

20 minutes ago, Vilander said:

nope i am just providing an opposing view to yours - not value judgement on him. You are beyond idiotic when you say he just needs to strategize, his job is operations - bowlers runup delivery stride wickets.

Never said that. Good luck, if you just want respond to me on imaginary things not written. Keep responding on things written by yourself....

While A run may be good overall we definitely need a fast bowling coach who can help our bowlers through his experience and provide technical and strategic inputs on overseas tour like South Africa. BCCi should hire pace bowling consultants for specific tours and continue with Arun as permanent.

Bharat Arun is supposed to be a good bowling coach.

He did a professional job with Hyderabad and deserves credit for the sudden rise of Md. Siraj.  Their other pacers, Milind and Ravi Kiran, did well too this season.

A person who has not played much international cricket can be a good coach.

Operational areas can be easily addressed too.

My only question is.... why did we not go with coaches like Shane Bond or Brett Lee or Jason Gillespie ..... who are both good coaches as well as top international pacers   ?

BCCI definitely has the means to hire one of them.

27 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bharat Arun is supposed to be a good bowling coach.

He did a professional job with Hyderabad and deserves credit for the sudden rise of Md. Siraj.  Their other pacers, Milind and Ravi Kiran, did well too this season.

A person who has not played much international cricket can be a good coach.

Operational areas can be easily addressed too.

My only question is.... why did we not go with coaches like Shane Bond or Brett Lee or Jason Gillespie ..... who are both good coaches as well as top international pacers   ?

BCCI definitely has the means to hire one of them.

At domestic and below levels coaches without much international experience can work because you still are teaching youngsters the basics of bowling. But at international level bowlers like Bhuvi, Umesh, Shami, etc. have the basics mostly right but it is other skills like setting up batsman, handling pressure situations in big matches, setting your own field, knowing when to bowl bouncer or Yorker, out thinking the batsman, etc that they need to be coached on. For that you need to have been in such real time situations in international matches to coach others.

It is not a question of either having international experience or coaching skills, a good international coach should have both. It is like the Pace or Skill debate, a good pacer should have both, similarly a good coach should have both. It is not as if the richest board doesn't have any choices.

3 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

At domestic and below levels coaches without much international experience can work because you still are teaching youngsters the basics of bowling. But at international level bowlers like Bhuvi, Umesh, Shami, etc. have the basics mostly right but it is other skills like setting up batsman, handling pressure situations in big matches, setting your own field, knowing when to bowl bouncer or Yorker, out thinking the batsman, etc that they need to be coached on. For that you need to have been in such real time situations in international matches to coach others.

It is not a question of either having international experience or coaching skills, a good international coach should have both. It is like the Pace or Skill debate, a good pacer should have both, similarly a good coach should have both. It is not as if the richest board doesn't have any choices.

As I said in the last part of my post... I would ideally like Bond or Lee or Gillespie type coaches.

But, setting up batsmen setting your own field, knowing when to bowl bouncers and yorkers are all areas which can be learnt by watching international cricket too.  You can have bowlers like Ishant, who does not learn much even after 70 odd tests.... you can also have a bowler who is a keen observer with an analytical mind, and learns stuff by observing from outside.  Handling pressure and out-thinking batsmen are 2 areas which you have to learn by yourself.

Another issue is.... bowlers like Ishant and Umesh still have to be taught the basics of bowling.

1 hour ago, Tattieboy said:

Are you guys saying  that Shastri was the wrong appointment because he picked Arun because of friendship rather than ability? 

If yes who would you have picked from the applicants instead?

Bharat arun is the first-half of your username 

Answer to other question is Zak or Shane bond

8 minutes ago, speedheat said:

Bharat arun is the first-half of your username 

Answer to other question is Zak or Shane bond

What exactly does Tattie mean in India, never heard that used when there . My question  really was that Shastri was the wrong pick and that's why you end up with people like Arun