Alaistair Cook Watch - Has the End begun?

sandeep

On 12/28/2017 at 12:56 PM, Gollum said:

Also explains Kohli's overseas record, massively inflated by that one series in 2014-15. We got a lively track in Brisbane but Mr Kohli went MIA, leaving the onerous task to a more accomplished batsman in Murali Vijay :aetsch:.

Stop putting down Kohli for Cook. Agree this was a good knock, albeit on a dead rubber on the flattest of wickets. However, I agree that England have none better than Cook for opening at the moment.

8 hours ago, Shy9 said:

I think ECB will supports him till he break SRT's 15921.Day before yesterday he passed Mahela/ Chanderpaul and Lara.he need 44 more to reaches 12000 test runs.

After Sydney test he has 2  test vs Pak and 3 vs India so those 12 innings ( Incl Sydney) he will accumulate yet another 750+

5 vs India.

He has been woefully out of form before this 244*

If he can average even 40+ from now on as an opener he deserves to be in the side because of Tina factor. However, Just playing him to get that record would bring lot of criticism.

Who knows another good opener might emerge, cook may have to face big injury.

I think this is it for Cook, really struggling with reaction and doubts with his playing shots

This time won’t be easy with India touring, a much better disciplined and quicker bowling attack of Bhuvi, Bumrah, Pandya, Jadeja, Ashwin, Kuldeep will keep Cook quite, compared to last tour we were playing with likes of Binny, Aaron, Pankaj Singh

Cook gonna call retirement or will be dropped after India series, the news guys coming through James Vince, Stoneman showing good potential

Bloody well hope we don't give him 2 lives per innings when we tour there. He is really struggling atm but if you are going to drop him regularly he will make you pay as the Aussies recently found out when he got a 200 there. 

He has been a consistent thorn for us, hope we have the last laugh. 

6 hours ago, MechEng said:

I actually wanted Cook to get truck loads of runs, because that's when there are higher chances of him being out of form when our team tours UK. An out of form Cook right now could mean he would start scoring truck loads of runs when he plays our bowlers.

Not necessarily. By English standards, he's already a country mile ahead of any other batsmen of theirs (runs wise) across 140 years of test cricket including all of the post war era. It may just be that he's pretty much done competing in tougher conditions at the highest level.

Edited by Clarke

Every cricketer has an international shelf life and Alastair Cook reached his a while ago but no opener in English county cricket has been  good enough to replace him even at Cooks lower ability .

This does not say anything about Alastair Cook who made the very most of what ability he was given and average batsmen don't make the amount of runs he has in International cricket but more about the state of professional cricket in England .

Yep. First class cricket in England is in a very bad place at the moment. No one has the technique and mentality required for Test cricket as they chase the limited overs money. We even have young (ish) players with test caps in Hales and Rashid turning their backs on the longer form completely. The ECB have encouraged this by moving the majority of County Championship matches to April, May and September with T20 during high summer. It will only get worse when the new competition starts in 2020.

Edited by YCCC
6 minutes ago, YCCC said:

Yep. First class cricket in England is in a very bad place at the moment. No one has the technique and mentality required for Test cricket as they chase the limited overs money. We even have young (ish) players with test caps in Hales and Rashid turning their backs on the longer form completely. The ECB have encouraged this by moving the majority of County Championship matches to April, May and September with T20 during high summer. It will only get worse when the new competition starts in 2020.

Absolutely

In my day it's was all about technique and getting into the zone mentality but we just had some idk for fun.

There are very few batsmen who can play all three formats and unfortunately the money is in shorter formats and as we know by football money will the vast majority of the time win over love of the game and who am I to say they should not benefit from their talent to make them secure for life. 

10 minutes ago, YCCC said:

I think you being overly pessimistic. Always case when England lose ashes . All doom and gloom and over reaction 

plenty decent batsman around . Just need a run and chances imo . Look at vince , stonemam and Malan . Improving 

England planned poorly transition of new players that’s all . Some good players on horizon

Just now, King Tendulkar said:

I think you being overly pessimistic. Always case when England lose ashes . All doom and gloom and over reaction 

plenty decent batsman around . Just need a run and chances imo . Look at vince , stonemam and Malan . Improving 

England planned poorly transition of new players that’s all . Some good players on horizon

Vince, Stoneman and Malan are average batsmen which English counties are full of but not good enough technically to be good test batsmen