Ishant Sharma record in last 3 years @ home : 9 tests ,10 wickets and bowl Ave : 50

I think Ishant can be valuable in short burst. Today he only had to bowl 14 overs so he did pretty good unsettled the batsman with his pace and bounce. If he has to bowl more on a flat pitch outside the subcontinent he might struggle. This might be why he averages 45 outside of asia and west indies, but in asia and west indies he averages 31, those are places pace bowlers don't have to bowl that often. If India play 5 bowlers in SA and he doesn't have too many overs in a day he might be useful.

1 hour ago, Silva said:

I think Ishant can be valuable in short burst. Today he only had to bowl 14 overs so he did pretty good unsettled the batsman with his pace and bounce. If he has to bowl more on a flat pitch outside the subcontinent he might struggle. This might be why he averages 45 outside of asia and west indies, but in asia and west indies he averages 31, those are places pace bowlers don't have to bowl that often. If India play 5 bowlers in SA and he doesn't have too many overs in a day he might be useful.

So he needs to be treated as a support bowler still after playing 78 tests?

Edited by Forever Indian
11 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

So he needs to be treated as a support bowler still after playing 78 tests?

Yes, he is a pretty good 3rd seamer for any team as @Silva points out. He may end up playing 100 tests too in that role.

Even Ganguly played mostly as a support batsman to others in the middle order as far as tests are concerned. He still was very valuable occasionally for team's victory. You can say Ishant Sharma is the bowling version of S Ganguly in test cricket. 

3 minutes ago, sarcastic said:

Yes, he is a pretty good 3rd seamer for any team as @Silva points out. He may end up playing 100 tests too in that role.

Even Ganguly played mostly as a support batsman to others in the middle order as far as tests are concerned. He still was very valuable occasionally for team's victory. You can say Ishant Sharma is the bowling version of S Ganguly in test cricket. 

I would rather invest in a youngster to perform the role of a support bowler. Atleast the youngster will improve from the experience to be a lead strike bowler in a couple of years time. What are you going to gain in wasting more time on Ishant?

Edited by Forever Indian
4 hours ago, MultiB48 said:

they dont move the ball both ways so have less margin or error for their line ,bhuvi started with inswing and now has both, same with bumrah ,shami too can move it both ways .

Umesh does but seams it into the left hander in an awkward angle. I think his problem is accuracy. Or are you talking about inswinger to right hander. Remember the sakhib spell and Aus test he has that away going one for left handers. Obvious his stock ball is 140 k outswinger to right hander.

Umesh just has to do what he did in Aus tour and some other spells more often. Perplexing guy.

An other thing is there was little conventional swing available yesterday so they even insisted on change of ball to work it with out it getting horribly distorted, this is mostly bad for Umesh the guys needs lots of work on ball..usually Shami reverses before him and swings before him as well..

Now its difficult for Umesh, Ishant goes over him so its 

Shami

Bhuv

Ishant

Umesh.

this is not exactly good. 

Edited by Vilander
13 hours ago, sandeep said:

Given that Bhuvi and Shami are unavailable, who would you rather have seen?  I would liked Bumrah to play but he's nowhere near the team in tests.  I'd still pick Ishant over the likes of Shardul, Dhawal, Unadkat etc.

But we havent tested shardul in test format .....he has done well and bowls good outswinger at good pace, also known to be good with reverse swing. M sure if jeff thompson n zaheer khan have rated him highly there must be something good in him.

By the look of it he looks like someone who can offer a lot , unfair to count his case out before he has played 

14 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

inswing to righthander ,occassionaly he does it (into righthander and across left), thats when he becomes harder to play.

He is desperate for reverse from second spell..even Ishant manages to keep it in good length when going almost full. But yadav searches for that reverse and goes almost half volley or wide..time is running out for him to keep his starting spot. But he will go to sa anyway with shamis hip being what it is. I think Umesh will do better second innings..expect him to pick wickets.

20 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

But we havent tested shardul in test format .....he has done well and bowls good outswinger at good pace, also known to be good with reverse swing. M sure if jeff thompson n zaheer khan have rated him highly there must be something good in him.

By the look of it he looks like someone who can offer a lot , unfair to count his case out before he has played 

Shardul lacks stamina. Can't sustain intensity. Today he went 4 an over against Tripura on a bowling pitch.