Backup keeper for SA/other away tours?

28 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Is there really no other intl class backup option though from our domestics? (For Tests)

Thats an eye opener to focus on this development aspect in domestics too.

It is not easy to have international wicket keeper batsman easily who are good in both areas batting and keeping. Australia is still struggling to find one after 9 years. SA got their first WK/bat in De Kock who is very good with the bat too.  Only SL and England i can think of who have multiple good WK/bats, atm.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

There is Pant who averages 58 at a SR of 101 in first class cricket. There's Samson who has been in great form this season with the bat although he hasn't been keeping apparently. There is Sheldon Jackson who averages nearly 50 in first class cricket. I refuse to believe goal keeper PaPa who has already cost us a series in AUS is a better back up option than all of these guys.

Samson has kept in some matches this season, just not keeping in every game as they have multiple keeper/bats playing. If any team has two keepers along with Samson, they prefer him to do ground fielding as he is very good in that aspect compared to many other keepers. Same way if Pant and Kishan are playing together, Kishan will always be doing outfield duties as he is a better outfielder than Pant.

Edited by rkt.india
13 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Samson has kept in some matches this season, just not keeping in every game as they have multiple keeper/bats playing. If any team has two keepers along with Samson, they prefer him to do ground fielding as he is very good in that aspect compared to many other keepers. Same way if Pant and Kishan are playing together, Kishan will always be doing outfield duties as he is a better outfielder than Pant.

All the more reason to not pick PaPa. 

17 minutes ago, velu said:

if we need a WK in the middle of the tour , just ring Dhoni :call:

Dhoni is fit as a fiddle and can directly goto the field from aiport  to keep  :aha:

But will he be able to quickly adapt across formats by that I mean lunging in Odis and consolidating in T20s to playing innovative helicopter shots and hoicks  in tests against Steyn,Rabada etc. ?

Edited by maniac
26 minutes ago, velu said:

upcoming T20 series will show whther he is still good for longer formats :hehe:

Forget Dhoni’s batting I can’t predict if Kohli’s batting average will go up in South Africa or not but surely his drop catches average will go up if Dhoni is the keeper.

Edited by maniac
5 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

He needs to make 100 runs every time he bats to make up for his keeping. He is pathetic.

They should have picked KKD if they wanted experience. For one thing KKD has opened and done successfully well against a better bowling attack in SA. Second of all if he doesn't keep he is still more than a decent fielder as a substitute fielder.  With PP all you get is 30 odd runs and drops

2 hours ago, Rasgulla said:

Backup for saha... in real world is pappu:adore:

Unless you want to live in fantasy world you can choose kids like Samson and afridi type slogger called pant. It's clear Kohli doesn't like hacks. 

Samson is my choice:aha: 

Pant averages 58 in FC.

Afridi - 32

Dhoni - 37