Whether Virat Kohli overtook Sachin as the test batsmen ??

velu

In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. In tests , whether Virat Kohli surpassed Sachin as a batsmen ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not there yet

44 minutes ago, putrevus said:

I do undertand people have opinion and I am not there to change their opinions.I don't care if anyone thinks he is not better or not but what I find amusing is people are getting offended and using foul language when someone is saying Sachin is not best.

Dont you think that it clearly means , other cricketer arent valued as much by their own fan group.

Edited by mishra
13 hours ago, putrevus said:

I do undertand people have opinion and I am not there to change their opinions.I don't care if anyone thinks he is not better or not but what I find amusing is people are getting offended and using foul language when someone is saying Sachin is not best.

Using foul language has no relation with support/non support of any cricketer and more to do with individual character. Same can be said about other groups.

On 8/25/2018 at 1:36 AM, raki05 said:

Using foul language has no relation with support/non support of any cricketer and more to do with individual character. Same can be said about other groups.

I agree it has to do more with individual character but if you go thru the conservations , Sachin is somehow very hot topic and people get  agitated easily when it comes to him.

Tendulkar was great but Kohli more damaging, feels ex-England cricketer David Lloyd

https://www.crictracker.com/tendulkar-was-great-but-kohli-more-damaging-feels-ex-england-cricketer-david-lloyd/

Kohli can dominate an era

“Sachin Tendulkar was aesthetically very pleasing, easy on the eye. But if I had to win a game I would have banked on Brian Lara and I see that trait in Kohli. He is a bit like Viv Richards too — he can absolutely dominate an era. Sachin was a great player but Kohli can inflict more damage,” Lloyd, said.

Calling Kohli a “broadcaster’s delight”, 71-year-old said that the former is very polite off the ground by on it, he is very animated and it becomes very difficult to take the camera’s focus off him.

“The way he constantly talks and inspires the bowlers is quite a treat. He obviously gets the respect because he is a fabulous player, but you can see that the emotion apart, he is very honest with his players as well. There’s been a massive turnaround in this Indian team in the way quick bowlers have taken over completely and I feel Kohli is the perfect man to develop them. He looks a natural leader,” the former Lancashire man said.

“Well, no other team but for Don Bradman’s 1936 side has done it…So it will be difficult. But in England this season, teams getting 300 should be in a position to win and I believe India would be in the game,” Lloyd further said.

Virat Kohli comes close to Sachin Tendulkar, says Saqlain Mushtaq

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/virat-kohli-comes-close-to-sachin-tendulkar-says-saqlain-mushtaq-5327078/

As a batsman, Sachin was a very big player. I cannot compare (two eras) but today Virat is the only one who comes close,” Saqlain told PTI in an exclusive chat.

“We were talking amongst the English support staff about how he played at Trent Bridge. In this third Test alone, Jimmy Anderson beat his outside edge 40 times, and yet he played the next ball with so much confidence. Virat plays ball by ball, run by run and session by session. He has a tremendous hunger for runs and victory. When you have someone hungry like that, he can do anything to satisfy his hunger.”

“The way Virat is scoring runs, it is ominous for England. During the first Test, I saw a signboard that said it is ‘England versus Virat Kohli’. If you take him out of the equation, it will be very easy for England. If you see from a coaching point of view, it is because of him the others have scored runs whilst batting with him. Having a world class batsman like Virat in your team certainly boosts the entire batting line-up,” he added.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:06 PM, putrevus said:

So why are people getting worked up , he is already much better odi player than Sachin ever was , he was lagging in tests but in last 30 tests he pretty overtook Sachin there too.

He will never match Sachin final stats except odi hundreds, but it does not mean he is not better than Sachin.

Couple of points 

1) kohli's not a far better player than Sachin in odis,he is better but not by much .this is an era where flat pitches and daddy scores are a norm ,averaging over 40 as an opener is nothing extraordinary. Sachin would have easily averaged over 50 and strike rate 90+ if he debuted after 2010 .

Kohli hasn't owned a world cup yet , Sachin owned twice .

2) Sachin averaged close to 56 after 165 test matches and mosyly his average hovered around 56-57 after 100 tests ,that is extraordinary ,he stayed on and tarnished his legacy a bit In the end but that doesn't mean we turn a blind eye on those stats after 160 odd tests (which is a massive amount ) ,kohli hasn't even averaged 55 yet ever in his career.

I agree though that kohli can overtake Sachin the way he is performing especially in the away cycles but he'll need another massive away cycle to make sure he averages over 40 in all the countries .

One thing to praise virat is that he is single handedly carrying this batting line up in SENA conditions like no other batsmen from India 

Edited by Adi BB

This is such a Senseless Logic that Tendulkar played in an era against great Fast bowlers unlike today . Those ppl must be great Astrologer as they can tell with authority that there is no chance that young guns like Rabada or Starc will no way go on to become the next Ambrose or Akram If not better.

Similar was said during Tendulkar's time when Akram was young that Gavaskar played against the much more brutal bowling line up. The fact of the matter is "The player is considered as a legend only after the entirity of his career & not from his debut " .LOlz

Having been die-hard fans of both players at different stages of Indian cricket history I can say Tendulkar's pure batsmanship was always cut above the rest. In terms of pure ability to most types of balls Sachin had few equals. But in terms of turning the game around in favor of his side, stepping up in both innings if needed he is ever so slowly inching ahead. Bit like combination of Laxman/Dravid/Tendulkar rolled into one. Look at the last 2 wicket partnership eerily reminded me of Laxman's partnership. Same way there was a point where he had to ride out a tough session. He was stuck at 21 or something for so long like Dravid. In terms of strokeplay he is like Sachin.Not sure whether he will end up beating him  or not. But he already has fans trying to emulate him , copy him which is what set Tendulkar apart.

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Having been die-hard fans of both players at different stages of Indian cricket history I can say Tendulkar's pure batsmanship was always cut above the rest. In terms of pure ability to most types of balls Sachin had few equals. But in terms of turning the game around in favor of his side, stepping up in both innings if needed he is ever so slowly inching ahead. Bit like combination of Laxman/Dravid/Tendulkar rolled into one. Look at the last 2 wicket partnership eerily reminded me of Laxman's partnership. Same way there was a point where he had to ride out a tough session. He was stuck at 21 or something for so long like Dravid. In terms of strokeplay he is like Sachin.Not sure whether he will end up beating him  or not. But he already has fans trying to emulate him , copy him which is what set Tendulkar apart.

wrt to aesthetics and batsmanship, Tendulkar was on a different plane altogether.. I have made countless video remixes of SRT and none of kohli so far lol

58 minutes ago, PBN said:

wrt to aesthetics and batsmanship, Tendulkar was on a different plane altogether.. I have made countless video remixes of SRT and none of kohli so far lol

I like KOhli's batting as well man :) His slapping cover drives, wristy midwicket flick. If you ask me Dravid, Laxman were more stylish than Sachin. Just that Sachin was an out and out stroke player. Ganguly through offside was also delightful.  So is Kohli.  Sachin is more airy compared to Kohli whose intent is always to keep the ball down. A reason why he has scored 30 plus centuries in one dayers. 

18 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

I like KOhli's batting as well man :) His slapping cover drives, wristy midwicket flick. If you ask me Dravid, Laxman were more stylish than Sachin. Just that Sachin was an out and out stroke player. Ganguly through offside was also delightful.  So is Kohli.  Sachin is more airy compared to Kohli whose intent is always to keep the ball down. A reason why he has scored 30 plus centuries in one dayers. 

I am a kohli fan as well but imo Tendulkar's stroke play was very stylish, the high elbow top hand technique accentuates the aesthetics.  They even used to run slowmo's of Dravid's figure 8 defensive techniques.

4 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Couple of points 

1) kohli's not a far better player than Sachin in odis,he is better but not by much .this is an era where flat pitches and daddy scores are a norm ,averaging over 40 as an opener is nothing extraordinary. Sachin would have easily averaged over 50 and strike rate 90+ if he debuted after 2010 .

Kohli hasn't owned a world cup yet , Sachin owned twice .

2) Sachin averaged close to 56 after 165 test matches and mosyly his average hovered around 56-57 after 100 tests ,that is extraordinary ,he stayed on and tarnished his legacy a bit In the end but that doesn't mean we turn a blind eye on those stats after 160 odd tests (which is a massive amount ) ,kohli hasn't even averaged 55 yet ever in his career.

I agree though that kohli can overtake Sachin the way he is performing especially in the away cycles but he'll need another massive away cycle to make sure he averages over 40 in all the countries .

One thing to praise virat is that he is single handedly carrying this batting line up in SENA conditions like no other batsmen from India 

How did Sachin own world cup when failed in finals in 2003 and semis in 1996, All Sachin did was do well in early matches and group stages.Kohli has to do well in world cup, let me play out his career. He has dominated T20s world cups and if not for stupid captaincy on Dhoni's part India would have won atleast one.

Kohli averages 58 not 50 and I don't recollect Sachin playing on any bowler friendly pitches and scoring any huge runs.Kohli has 35 hundreds from 211 matches compared to 49 from 463, do you see how big a gap that is, Kohli once in just scores 100.He is that consistent. 

In tests it is not just about numbers , it is about the impact which Kohli has especially outside the subcontinent.You have Pujara who is equally good or better than Kohli in India but what seperates Kohli is his impressive run outside subcontinent.

7 minutes ago, putrevus said:

How did Sachin own world cup when failed in finals in 2003 and semis in 1996, All Sachin did was do well in early matches and group stages.Kohli has to do well in world cup, let me play out his career. He has dominated T20s world cups and if not for stupid captaincy on Dhoni's part India would have won atleast one.

Kohli averages 58 not 50 and I don't recollect Sachin playing on any bowler friendly pitches and scoring any huge runs.Kohli has 35 hundreds from 211 matches compared to 49 from 463, do you see how big a gap that is, Kohli once in just scores 100.He is that consistent. 

In tests it is not just about numbers , it is about the impact which Kohli has especially outside the subcontinent.You have Pujara who is equally good or better than Kohli in India but what seperates Kohli is his impressive run outside subcontinent.

:canabis:

high time to close this thread..... just because some non sensible comparison between  <6000 runs & <16000 runs(first let the first player reach any where near 16000 runs)  is  going on doesn't mean the vast majority can accept that as the poll shows.Not all posters are that dumb to give verdict that 'a great  work in progress but not even half way yet ' is better than a 'marvelous  finished product'

Edited by rtmohanlal
7 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

high time to close this thread..... just because some non sensible comparison between  <6000 runs & <16000 runs(first let the first player reach any where near 16000 runs)  is  going on doesn't mean the vast majority can accept that as the poll shows.Not all posters are that dumb to give verdict that 'a great  work in progress but not even half way yet ' is better than a 'marvelous  finished product'

Very well concluded.

13 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

6000>16000:whack:

16 hours ago, rtmohanlal said:

just because some non sensible comparison between  <6000 runs & <16000 runsduct'

I am not going into any comparison between Tendulkar and Kohli as batsmen

BUT

1)   Total runs or longevity are not the only parameters for assessing the superiority as batsmen.  Bradman did not score 7000 runs but so many rate him as the best ever.  Sobers and Richards both scored  < 8600 runs in test ... but many knowledgeable people rate them as two of the best batsmen ever after Bradman.

2) The biggest factor that decides the superiority as a cricketer is ...  the impact that his performances have had on the opposition, the matches and series he has played and on the performances of his own team.

3)  I think different batsmen will come out as the best ever in different areas.  There hasn't been any single batsman in history who has been perfect.

If I am looking for supreme batsmanship or artistry or longevity or quality ... I will choose Tendulkar

If I am looking for a batsman who will finish the opposition on his day with really big knocks ... I will choose Lara

If I am looking for sheer destructiveness ... I will choose Richards

And so on and so forth ...

Edited by express bowling