When I was 18, I wasn’t as powerful as Prithvi Shaw: Brian Lara

5 hours ago, zen said:

To me Lara was the best test batsman of his generation .... If Shaw can replicate Lara's performance, he could take the crown of the best test batsman of his generation too 

slight disagreement, best was Steve Waugh, most watchable was Lara for sure

13 hours ago, Austin 3:!6 said:

Too much hype given to this kid which might actually affect his game. Why cant oldies like Sachin/Lara etc just let the kid play at least 10 tests first? Hope these praises don't jinx him :facepalm:

+1. The kid looks like a great prospect but it is too early to make comparison with ATGs. Too much praise and the resultant attention could have a negative impact on him. 

5 hours ago, Adi BB said:

Some of the shots lara manufactured were out of this world,he was a great judger of the length and could pull a ball from a good length area 

If anyone have done catching practice in a circle, he would know that the person with the bat instead of showing full face, generally slashes the ball, and ball flies to one of the fielders standing in the circle. What is certain is that the guy with the bat can only control the direction of ball generally within 20+- degree arch. If he cant do that, someone else will take the bat off him who have that level of control in his slashes.

If anyone want to watch Lara, See how Lara executes those slashes to 5 degree perfection against one of the paciest bowlers.

Edited by mishra
2 hours ago, gakgupta said:

He never had that technique to do that.....

And thats why he is not counted in the same breath as Lara. Although, he was a treat to watch in the real sense when in full flow. And unlike Lara, Yuvi could take on even Mcgrath. Infact, he clobbered Mcgrath in his first series itself. Pity he could not replicate his performances in Test.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:54 AM, Muloghonto said:

then you didn't watch Lara at his peak. Simple. Much more elegant than Yuvraj, who just has elegant drives. 

i have.  i am watching cricket from early to mid 90s. Lara was good but i found his bat lift a bit too extreme and crouchng and standing a bit too exaggerated. If Lara was a right hander, he would have looked plain ugly like ABDV.

23 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i have.  i am watching cricket from early to mid 90s. Lara was good but i found his bat lift a bit too extreme and crouchng and standing a bit too exaggerated. If Lara was a right hander, he would have looked plain ugly like ABDV.

well said ... Lara by any stretch never  looked the most pleasing to the eye  for me. All his movements at the crease were 'a bit too much stretching' and hence a bit complicated .

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

he was a million times more elegant against spin than Yuvi. Practically one of the most elegant players of spin ever. yes, he had a big backlift, which only added to his flourish, but he got rid of it by 1999. His pull shot was a shot of perfect balance. 

The close second greatest batsman since the 90s in test cricket, after Sachin.

1 hour ago, rtmohanlal said:

well said ... Lara by any stretch never  looked the most pleasing to the eye  for me. All his movements at the crease were 'a bit too much stretching' and hence a bit complicated .

it appears that way is because Lara's footwork was one of the quickest in the game i've ever seen. Often he was the only one who could go from front foot to backfoot after committing to front foot itself. It became a problem for him in the late 90s because he got fatter and his backlift was high. When he returned in 99 after a long workout with Sobers ( he accredits Sobers with his turn-around from 99 series vs OZ, the greatest one-man-batting-show in a test series ever) he had a noticably lower backlift and less weight, so his lightning footwork was back on the point.