Rishabh Pant not suitable to bat at No. 6 in Australia, says Anil Kumble

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

The person in the bottom six with the best defensive technique, is the person who gets to bat at #6. Simple. #6 is your 'third opener' in many instances, as they are coming to the pitch with the new ball taken for just a few overs or new ball due in just a few overs. 

Seeing off the 2nd new ball is a vital job for #6. 

Ganguly and vvs batted at 6. None had great defensive technique.

There could be some truth to it. If you look at Pant's batting style, he is more suited to bat at #7, giving us some quick runs playing with the tail-enders. There's no need to burden him, with him being a wicket keeper on top of that. Let the so-called all-rounders like Pandya and Ashwin take up the responsibility to bat at #6. 

It's funny to see some Kumble haters here getting their knickers in twist. Just admit it, Shastri is nothing but a barking dog with no bite and this has been proved. It was shameful the way they treated a legend like Kumble and now, their Karma is coming back to bite them in their ass. :giggle:

I am loving it. 

Edited by Lannister

Was Kumble himself suited to bowl in Australia? Averaged 125 when you played there on your first tour in 1999-00 (after 7 years of international cricket and pelnty of away tours). Took him 12-13 years to finally start performing away from home. 

But here he is publicly ranting against a 21 year old in his 1st year of international cricket.

Such comments are the reason why youngsters of one era do not have much time for these grumpy oldies.

Firstly, he should not be compared with Gilly. Pant comes across as too non-chalant (bordering on loose) the way he bats.It looks as if , he is still playing club cricket. I have tempered my expectations. I hope he keep scoring in tests the way he has started, however he needs more street smartness in execution especially in tests. Its ok in T20 but he will be heavily criticized in tests.

5 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Ganguly and vvs batted at 6. None had great defensive technique.

VVS had pretty good defensive technique. So did Ganguly. You are yet again, talking out of your rear end. Ganguly was very very strong outside the offstump and negating movement. His problem was being set-up for the bouncer and the awkward hook-shot of his. something that only affected him overseas on hard, bouncy pitches of OZ and RSA. 
Both these guys had much, much better defensive technique than anyone not named Pujara or Kohli in today's lineup.