Dhoni is still a problem; his series stats are misleading - but he will definitely go to the WC now (not that it was ever in doubt)

SK_IH

2 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

I see your point and partially agree; if only either of Kulcha could bat even a little bit, it would be a very easy choice.

I am pretty sure the best bowling attack would win the world cup.Takings wickets right through.Bowling has been our strength in the recent past and also Pandya coming back would mean no need of Jadeja or his batting.

1 minute ago, Dil Dil India said:

He has good numbers to be fair especially in England (averages 70 odd with the bat and 27 with the ball). Like I said, I am not a fan and his run out of Pandya in CT 17 still pisses me off, but given the duds we have in the middle order (thank God that Rayudu is gone), even a quickfire 20 at the end may prove vital.

If we need to rely on jadeja batting to win, then we may as well stop playing cricket.

5 minutes ago, Soorma_Bhopali said:

For belters  where 350 will be par, I doubt if Jadeja will get batting . His utility is when their is a middle-order collapse and that can happen in grounds which offer little bit to bowling : pace or spin .

He will definitely get to bat unless you're saying we will chase down 350 or set 350 without losing 5-6 wickets.

To say we only get 320-330 runs to chase is a ridiculous assumption. I don't think we will only get belter of surface in England. There were lot of  instances in CT 2013 and CT 2017, where small totals were made and defended. So Dhoni at 4 is not that bad. He can be useful in chasing small but tricky total on a difficult surface, just like what he did in MCG.

Edited by Insidious
10 minutes ago, Insidious said:

To say we only get 320-330 runs to chase is a ridiculous assumption. I don't think we will only get belter of surface in England. There were lot of  instances in CT 2013 and CT 2017, where small totals were made and defended. So Dhoni at 4 is not that bad. He can be useful in chasing small but tricky total on a difficult surface, just like what he did in MCG.

CT 2013 was completely different - there was a lot of rain which led to start/stop finishes and affected matches. About CT 2017 - in the 5 matches India played:

In the final, we were chasing 338

first match vs Pak, we made 320 odd

SL chased 322 against us

The Bangla match doesn't really count, which only leaves one game vs SA where the pitch was slowish and a used one and they collapsed.

Against England, NZ or Aus(with Smith and Warner) we will definitely be chasing 320+ or need to set 320+ to win.

Edited by Dil Dil India
54 minutes ago, DHONI_FANN said:

So you expect batsmen to blast away right from the start after being 4 for 3. It was due to Dhoni's efforts we came so close to winning the first match. I am 100% sure we would have won the first match as well had wrong decision been not made against Dhoni

Dont think we would have won that game even if Dhoni had stayed till the end because RRR had increased so much.  You cant keep rotting about 4/3 because that 4/3 became 100/3 but acceleration from Dhoni never came.  he kept prodding at a snails pace. you can accept 25-30 of 50 but cannot accept 13 of 46.

1 hour ago, Dil Dil India said:

On the face of it Dhoni won MOS and scored 3 fifties in 3 games, but the stats are a little misleading. Okay, in the first ODI he got a wrong decision, but 50 from 96 in this day and age is unacceptable even if you are rebuilding. If you play 100 balls, your SR should be at least 90. In England where scores in the high 300s and 400s are not uncommon, Dhoni will be a huge liability. We will either set 300 on a 330 wicket or fall short by 30 runs chasing 300+. In both the 2nd and 3rd ODIs he was not convincing. 

But now that there's no way he won't be a part of the WC team, we need to make sure we make the best of what we have:

1)Dhawan

2)Rohit

3)Kohli

4)Dhoni

5)Karthik

6)Jadhav

7)Pandya

8)Jadeja

9)Bhuvi

10)Shami

11)Bumrah

We bat till 8-9. We will need Jadeja, Pandya and Jadhav to bowl 20 overs.

Jadeja ahead of Chahal/Kuldeep?

44 minutes ago, Dil Dil India said:

Actually I am not very convinced about Jadeja and not a fan. I just feel on absolute flat tracks against good teams where 350 is par (like it will be in the WC), KulCha won't be that much of a step up and Jaddu's (potential) quick 25 odd at the end could prove vital.

when have Jaddu given that quick 25 odd?

He played well in that England series of India in 2017,scored 100 in ODI and 50 in T20..Even then,same reaction were from experts..Bhogle was as usual having orgasms,Manju-Sunny going gaga over reincarnation of Dhoni..2 years later same story.

As Indian fans,we can only expect Bowers to restrict opposition below 300 and batsmen taking India home..There is no way India can win his this approach chasing 300+ target.

This Aussie team was like a proper A team.. missing top batsmen and bowlers.

Any good performance against them is expected and taken for granted. The next challenge would be interesting.. to see how Kuldeep, chahal would bowl on those small grounds and flat pitches... Dhoni too will have to face quality bowlers like Boult, speedsters like Ferguson, bracewel , Henry etc.. and not some scrap like stoinis, Siddle etc... I can imagine Ferguson, Henry hitting the back of the length into Dhoni's upper body ala Rabada... need to see how he responds